Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter touches up on Floyd Mayweather's recent interviews regarding racism...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motofan View Post

David Bowie accusing MTV of racism in '83: Read the interview transcript
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...112-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      I understand where you are coming from, but if you are the best at what you do or one of the best, you should be compensated that way and be promoted that way. That is how the fighters feel

If A fighter lik eward isn't a box office draw, its his team and the network he is signed to job the make him more recognizable.

Same with Rigoondeaux.....skill wise they are 2 of the best in the world. As far as compensation. I doubt it

I'll compare and contrast.... Roy Jones is universally recognized as the greatest fighter of the 90's....was he paid the most...no....was he exciting, yes....and he had a lot of fans.....De La Hoya who was not the fighter Jones was got the recognition, notoriety and more $$$

Same with Pernell Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez....some may say Whitaker is boring, but their are people who appreciate the sweet science and from a fighters point of view, if you are the best in the sport, you should be paid that way

9/10 in every other sport the best gets paid more, whether they are exciting or not. Look at stars in the MLB, NBA etc.
      Unfortunately that's not how it works in this game. The best fighters don't always get paid the most. Its about who generates more money.

Look at Mayorga. He's co-headllined more ppv's than Andre Ward and Rigo probably ever will combined. Why? Not because he's a great talent but because he knows how to sell a fight with all his antics.

Comparing Roy and Pernell to Oscar and Chavez isn't a fair comparison as far as the money they've made as Latin fans are the biggest follower of this sport followed closely by Euro fans. Truth of the matter is, black/american fans won't go out and support their fighters the way latin or euro fans will. Therefore Latin and Euro fighters will generally generate more money in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
        Dude are you serious? All of the characteristics you just listed are attributes white men show with impunity but somehow going to a strip club is now an ethnic stereotype along with materialism, egomania and arrogance? Simple human male behavior is an ethnic stereotype of the African American community? Mayweather's persona was not that of a "buffoon" as you call him, it was a persona meant to denote luxury, even excess but buffoonery, I think is a word you dreamed up all by yourself to describe Floyd's antics.

Lastly, no, black women are not laughing at black men, that's ****ing moronic. Black women are doing everything in their power to support their men and are astonished that they can't find more of them to date and marry. I've been in rooms filled with black women numerous times, with them speaking their minds freely about black men and none of the nonsense you listed comes up, ever. Not even a hint....
        yeah black women have to support black men cause the men aint supporting the women ahhahahaah

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
          Unfortunately that's not how it works in this game. The best fighters don't always get paid the most. Its about who generates more money.

Look at Mayorga. He's co-headllined more ppv's than Andre Ward and Rigo probably ever will combined. Why? Not because he's a great talent but because he knows how to sell a fight with all his antics.

Comparing Roy and Pernell to Oscar and Chavez isn't a fair comparison as far as the money they've made as Latin fans are the biggest follower of this sport followed closely by Euro fans. Truth of the matter is, black/american fans won't go out and support their fighters the way latin or euro fans will. Therefore Latin and Euro fighters will generally generate more money in the sport.
          I agree with you how the game is, but you see there is disdain about this topic from fighters who were the best of their time and were not paid that way.

Most definitely the Mexican fans and Euro fans are the reason the sport generates so much money...they are loyal fans....cant say the same for my countrymen, who support foreign fighters more than fighters in the U.S.A.

I agree also that Black fans aren't as supportive money-wise to a certain degree considering the NFL and NBA are the top sports in our community

You made Valid points...What the fighters and trainers are saying is though, they feel they should be compensated for their talent....Although you are right with how the game goes, doesn't mean it is right the way it works. The best boxers should be paid that way and promoted that way.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            I agree with you how the game is, but you see there is disdain about this topic from fighters who were the best of their time and were not paid that way.

Most definitely the Mexican fans and Euro fans are the reason the sport generates so much money...they are loyal fans....cant say the same for my countrymen, who support foreign fighters more than fighters in the U.S.A.

I agree also that Black fans aren't as supportive money-wise to a certain degree considering the NFL and NBA are the top sports in our community

You made Valid points...What the fighters and trainers are saying is though, they feel they should be compensated for their talent....Although you are right with how the game goes, doesn't mean it is right the way it works. The best boxers should be paid that way and promoted that way.
            In a perfect world yes! This is show business though and in this business, the showmen who generate the most money whether it be movie actors, stage performers, comedians, etc are the ones who make the most.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
              yeah black women have to support black men cause the men aint supporting the women ahhahahaah
              Still in elementary school I see? I have no idea what this tripe is you just scribbled.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyCage View Post
                David Bowie accusing MTV of racism in '83: Read the interview transcript
                http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...112-story.html
                Yep. In 1983. And he was right. In 1983.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
                  Yep. In 1983. And he was right. In 1983.
                  Racism still exists....if it didn't it wouldn't be such a touchy topic

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
                    Still in elementary school I see? I have no idea what this tripe is you just scribbled.
                    you know what I said so stop acting like an English teacher. fact is 75% of black kids have no father means daddy aint paying. want me to say it again??

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                      Yes. Ask an admitted activist about his unbiased take on racism. Let alone from Ben Thompson of all people!

Floyd has made more money than anyone in the history of the sport and called his own shots. He fought who he wanted when he wanted. Yet we are suppose to believe that black fighters are being treated unfairly!? It boils down to dollars and sense. Not black and white.

as if black people cant have economically successful sports careers here in america.

its the stephen a smith mentality.

Comment

Working...
                      X