Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who were the top 5 worst univerally recognized heavyweight champions ever and why

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who were the top 5 worst univerally recognized heavyweight champions ever and why

I have no particular order and they all make my list for different reasons

Leon Spinks...he didn't belong in the division, nor did he develop enough as a fighter to reach his full potential. If he wasn't rushed into fighting the best heavies so early he could have become one of the better cruiserweight champions in the divisions infancy

John L Sullivan never faced the best fighters of his era and many were black like Peter Jackson, Old Chocolate George Godfrey, etc

Jack Dempsey is considered one of the greatest fighters p4p ever and one of the best heavyweights. His championship reign is overrated. Was the champion 6 years with only 5 defenses. He plied his trade during an era of many great fighters but never fought any of the best black fighters of the 1910s-1920s.....Harry Wills, Sam Langford, Jack Thompson, George Godfrey etc and he was adamant about it

James J Braddock....great story and upset but he wasnt a very good fighter at heavyweight. He started out as a decent lightheavyweight contender until living conditions and hand problems hampered his career. If there ever was a rematch I'd have picked Baer to win

Primo Carnera was a decent fighter but many consider some of his fights fixed because of Mob connnections. He actually does have a decent resume, but some of the results are in doubt because of his managers and some controversial wins

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post

Leon Spinks...he didn't belong in the division, nor did he develop enough as a fighter to reach his full potential. If he wasn't rushed into fighting the best heavies so early he could have become one of the better cruiserweight champions in the divisions infancy

John L Sullivan never faced the best fighters of his era and many were black like Peter Jackson, Old Chocolate George Godfrey, etc

Jack Dempsey is considered one of the greatest fighters p4p ever and one of the best heavyweights. His championship reign is overrated. Was the champion 6 years with only 5 defenses. He plied his trade during an era of many great fighters but never fought any of the best black fighters of the 1910s-1920s.....Harry Wills, Sam Langford, Jack Thompson, George Godfrey etc and he was adamant about it

James J Braddock....great story and upset but he wasnt a very good fighter at heavyweight. He started out as a decent lightheavyweight contender until living conditions and hand problems hampered his career. If there ever was a rematch I'd have picked Baer to win

Primo Carnera was a decent fighter but many consider some of his fights fixed because of Mob connnections. He actually does have a decent resume, but some of the results are in doubt because of his managers and some controversial wins
    Hey don't you dare put Jack dempseys crap of a heavyweight run on this list due to the lack of fighting Black guys....

Comment

Originally posted by The Badguy View Post
      Hey don't you dare put Jack dempseys crap of a heavyweight run on this list due to the lack of fighting Black guys....
      ....im gonna get for that pick....oh well....with all the talk about resume, ducking and dodging, fighters in the past should be penalized for ducking an entire race let alone just one fighter

Comment

Honorable mention: Jack Sharkey

Comment

its funny how people on tripping Tyson Fury and he is far from the worst heavyweight champion.....he is a little boring but he has swag doe

Comment

Honorable mention: Jack Sharkey

Keep in mind this guy had to get fouled out to win on DQ because Carnera was losing.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post

Keep in mind this guy had to get fouled out to win on DQ because Carnera was losing.
              yeah that's a cheap way to win

Comment

John Ruiz was pretty bad and that 7ft oaf that got a lucky decision against Evander Holyfield was pretty horrific also.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  John Ruiz was pretty bad and that 7ft oaf that got a lucky decision against Evander Holyfield was pretty horrific also.
                  neither guy was ever recognized as the universal champions, they were titlists

Ruiz had an ugly style but he did spend the bulk of his career as serious contender....he is underrated in my eyes because his style wasn't exciting

Nicolai Valuev was a circus act....and Holyfield should have won that fight in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                  X