Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black History Month!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such rubbish. The police stopped the bout because Johnson was beating Burns all over the ring. The reports from The Call and NY Times as well as all other unbiased reports reveal it was a one sided fight. Burns looked as if he walked into a lawnmower blade after the bout. Johnson relatively unmarked.

Comment

• Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
      It's not so much Johnson's boisterous behavior that does it for me; but the fact that the man was genuinely VERY intelligent and he was his own man, he did what Jack Johnson wanted to do and he was ballsy enough to speak his mind and rub the double-standard of the time in people's faces. It's a small miracle he wasn't killed for doing the things he did at the time. And I'll say this much and many on here will disagree with me.....he could have beaten many of the modern fighters; he'd just have to be more active today because he wouldn't have 20 rounds or more to make a game plan work.

I rank him the #4 all-time heavyweight.
      The rub on Johnson is his competition, mostly the size differences. But most heavies did not have steller competition the way it happens in lighter divisions with more entry for fighters.

If one watches film of Johnson one can see how good he really was. I agree that he was one of the greatest, I don't like lists lol. Its in the tape and we have just enough tape of Johnson to see what he was capable of.

Comment

• It’s interesting that Burns rated Ketchel as the hardest puncher at any weight. His comments as to just how hard Ketchel hit is very telling.
        Last edited by HOUDINI563; 07-30-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
          Wait, even if true, isn't it also irrelevant. Does Burns make a comeback, does Liston?
          - -Liston had a great comeback going until Kid Leotis stretchered him for the first time.

Burns like Foreman burning for his adversarial title loss finally took his first KO loss in his last fight. He was busy promoting by then.

JJOHNSON fight here, but note that JJ has some significant nap on his dome then. Not blaming Jack for his boys stooping the fight, but the wagering angle yet again is the impetus for the results that boxing has yet to escape from.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/T...._Jack_Johnson

Comment

Working...
          X