Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Joe Louis' dominance warrant being top 2 ATG HW despite lack of quality?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's too bad the IRS did not treat him like a hero. I voted him in as number 2. His opponents were not as bad IMO as stated here Max S was robbed of his title and a cagey vet that needed to win to prolong his career.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Looking at your track record in this section I wouldn't be surprised. Weren't you the guy who didn't know when Robinson moved to middleweight and felt that he ducked Burley?
      You were given enough information on subject to make an informed decision. If you still wish to believe it is a myth that's your issue.

Oh and you think Mayweather would somehow win 6 rounds against Robinson.
      ? Please provide quote.

Comment

Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
        Wlad never got to defend his titles against light heavyweights and former middleweights every couple of months. Had that been the case, he would have surpassed the record a long time ago.

I don't like to dog on Louis as I respect his achievements a great deal, but his length of reign really has to be qualified against current standards. A lot of his defences would not have been allowed today.
        Somehow Buddy Baer,Abe Simon,Primo are never mentioned as Louis opponents. All are very big men. Everyone was a former Middleweight at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          Somehow Buddy Baer,Abe Simon,Primo are never mentioned as Louis opponents. All are very big men. Everyone was a former Middleweight at one time.
          Yes, I'm aware of who he fought. That's why I didn't say that all of his opponents were smaller men, only that a lot of them were, because that was often the case. Those bigger guys were the exception, not the rule.

I don't generally hold that against Louis since he himself was on the small side of heavyweight (200lbs give or take), so his fighting a 180lbs guy would be the equivalent of, say, Wlad or Lewis fighting a 215lber. Where it becomes a factor is in determining H2H ability, as I mentioned above. That's not what this thread's about, though.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
            You were given enough information on subject to make an informed decision. If you still wish to believe it is a myth that's your issue.

? Please provide quote.
            "At the time of the stoppage, 4-4, 5-3 Robinson, 6-2 Mayweather."

This is how you think the judges would score a Robinson v Mayweather fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
              Most of the fighters we mention when talking about ATG status are fighters like Louis, Marciano, Ali, etc. every guy we mention was dominant in there era's (champ for a few years). What I find stupid is when people try taking a guy who DOMINATED his era regardless of strength and somehow count that against him. What else could he possibly have done more in terms of legacy other than win??? Any guy that is top ranked is going to be good. There has never been a tomato can rated as a top contender. So regardless if it is Tony Galento or Hasim Rahman they are quality guys.
              I agree with you in the main. Fighters fight who they can and let history do the rest. Generally a guy who dominates in a perceived weak era tends to get recalled with more fondness with the passing of time. That's what I think will happen to Wlad, though we dog him now for his terrible run of opponents.

Boxing's hugely subjective at the best of times, and one of the only real measuring sticks we have comes in the form of rankings. It's certainly not perfect; there have been more than a few god awful fighters that snuck into the top ten at one point or another, but in the absence of anything else it's the best we've got.

Comment

Lennox Lewis is the ATG

Comment

A vid showing joe applying Jack Blackburns teachings
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35AZXML9Cc

Comment

"At the time of the stoppage, 4-4, 5-3 Robinson, 6-2 Mayweather."

This is how you think the judges would score a Robinson v Mayweather fight.
                    Not a direct quote but I'll accept. What was the context?

So those two incidents indicate I am someone who pretends to be knowledgeable to gain status?

What status am I trying to gain? And didn't I provide enough information to support the opinions I came to?

No need to respond. Quality of posts in this forumhas been very poor recently, you just happened to exemplify it.

Comment

I hate to ask this but what the hell...........

""At the time of the stoppage, 4-4, 5-3 Robinson, 6-2 Mayweather."..........

...exactly WHO was being stopped?

I am not a betting man especially on boxing but if I were in a position to bet on this fantasy match up I would "bet big" on a stoppage win with Sugar Ray easily defeating Mayweather who in comparisons to Sugar has no power at all and does NOTHING better than Sugar!

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X