Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Greatest Defensive Fighter of All Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Mayweather had a better defense than Whitaker because he could be on the attack and still be very hard to hit. Whitaker could be a real bad runner at times. Just not getting hit because you are running away or not throwing punches does not impress me as much as Mayweather who was so hard to hit clean even when he was not running or attacking.

Comment

For me it has to be Floyd Mayweather hands down, he had a variety of ways to defend against punches and his defence also aged really well as a lot of the fighters on that list were a lot more hittable as they got older. Honestly Ali shouldn't be on that list in my opinion, his defence was too limited to be considered masterful, he had fast feet and good head movement in his younger days but as he aged he really wasn't hard to find.

Floyd had head movement, mastered the shoulder roll, pull counter......... I specifically remember in the Ortiz fight where he parried an Ortiz Jab with the point of his elbow and shot a straight right counter right on target, it was about as high level as you could get man.

Comment

Mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          ... ???

Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker
          Muhammad "The Greatest" Ali
          Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr.
          Bernard "The Executioner/The Alien" Hopkins
          James “Lights Out” Toney
          Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux
          Vasyl "Hi-Tech" Lomachenko
          Willie "Will o' the Wisp" Pep
          Ray "Sugar" Leonard
          Sugar Ray Robinson
          Gene "The Fighting Marine" Tunney
          Henry "Homicide Hank" Armstrong
          Tyson Fury...
          Its blasphemous that NIcholino Locche is not on this list .
          Last edited by NORMNEALON; 01-21-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Wilfredo Benitez is one of if the greatest defensive fighter off all time and I am surprised he did even make your list , Leonard was defensive yes but he also took shots to give them , same as Robinson.
            If we talk defence we talk defence benny leonard , Willie pep , Benitez and mayweather no one else comes close

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
              Father Time is a cherry picker. Always waiting on fighters to get old
              I'll be damned if you are less than right!

Comment

Roy Jones Jr in his prime was next to untouchable. And - get this - Manos De Piedra had incredible defensive skills and reflexes when he was young.

Comment

I’d have to go with Pernell Whitaker. Floyd the Great basically did what he did, but unlike him he wasn’t screwed over by the establishment. Pernell Whitaker was, in my opinion, every bit as good as Floyd and probably better, and most importantly, he did it before TMT.

Comment

Floyd was a great defensive wizard, absolutely. The shame of his career is that he was just as defensive and cunning in picking his opponents. Once they began to slip is when he considered them. He did not beat any great fighter at the peak of their career. He's similar to another great undefeated fighter in this regard, Rocky Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by blitted_master View Post
                      Floyd was a great defensive wizard, absolutely. The shame of his career is that he was just as defensive and cunning in picking his opponents. Once they began to slip is when he considered them. He did not beat any great fighter at the peak of their career. He's similar to another great undefeated fighter in this regard, Rocky Marciano.
                      Really comparing Mayweather’s resume to Marciano’s??

Come on man

Comment

Working...
                      X