No announcement yet.

Pre-season discussion thread nsb pick em 2020

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-season discussion thread nsb pick em 2020

Okay gentlemen (and ladies too if there's any of you around at the moment) it's that time of year again. The festivities are over, the hangovers have been hung and we're all braced for the coming year slightly older, probably slightly fatter and hopefully, after a fantastic final quarter of boxing in 2019, with our appetites whetted for a great year of boxing in 2020.

First fights of the 2020 pick 'em are going to be next weekend, I'm reckoning on Hart vs Smith Jr and Munguia vs Spike O'Sullivan, the latter might be reasonably seen as a bit of a mismatch but does at least promise excitement and at least the possibility of upset with the sub-par Hogan performance still hanging over Jaime.

So. What that means is we only got a few days before the first PICK EM thread of 2020 will be up, and what that means is that I probably should have put this thread up about a week ago... but I didn't so we'll have to just live with it.

Thankfully we're not planning on any major changes this year, but that doesn't mean anyone with positive suggestions should keep 'em to themselves. If you got a good idea - or equally any criticisms - please share 'em. The purpose of this game is for us all to have fun and add to our enjoyment of the sport, and if there's ways of making it better you're doing us all a disservice by not sharing 'em.

Anyways... to business. First significant change we've got this year is to the CREW, and that's looking like an expansion this year from the 3 members we had in 2018 and 2019 to 5 for 2020... this is largely predicated on the expectation that we'll have more players this year due to the prizes kindly offered by the 'Scene (thanks once more BigPoppaPump) for the 2019 season. The new team will consist of last years team of Koba-Grozny, NC Uppercut and 2018 winner otrocubiche with the addition of new CREW members CauliflowerEars and HeadBodyBodyBody (who you'll most likely see refered to as HBx3 on account of it being a pain in the ass to type out in full.) both of whom contributed at various times to the running of the game in 2019.

There have been various other offers of help, and these are gratefully acknowledged, but for the obvious reasons we've prefered to keep the core team with access to the CREW account password down to a fairly small number.

In terms of actual rules changes there seems to have been fairly general satisfaction over 2019, so whilst we're still going to invite comment the only changes that are strongly anticipated right now are as follows:

An Increase in the score for a correct DRAW pick from 120 points to 150 points, to bring it more into line with the increased points possible from a perfect pick between 2018 and 2019 (up from 30 to 40).

A change in the number of optional multipliers from 10 x2s and 6 x3s, to 10 x2s, 5 x3s and 1 one-off special x5 which can only be used on fights where the underdog is no worse than +300 (ie no underdog multiplier is in play).

The system for Underdog multipliers is likely to be changed slightly, lowering the threshold at which they kick in from +400 (4/1) to +300(3/1) for x2 multiplier and from +700(7/1) to +600(6/1) for x3. The threshold for x4 will remain at +1000. This will have the effect of making the Underdog multipliers somewhat more common and likely to play a somewhat increased role in the game but hopefully without unbalancing it greatly in the favour of those who like the gamesmanship and tactics over just the stright up and down picks.

Again, if any of you strenuously object to either of these changes please do not hesitate to make your feelings known.

Oh... on a related note we're also going to codify a practice than probably wasn't made fully clear last year, although I don't recall with the situation actually arose... to wit, should more than one multiplier come into play in the score of a players picks, the multipliers will be added together before being applied to the players score and not multiplied . ie. A x3 underdog multiplier win with a x3 optional multiplier applied would net the player 6x (3+3) their regular points, not 9x (3x3) and a x2 optional multiplier on a x4 'dog would net 6x (2+4) not 8x (2x4)... thanx for the correction 'Roll.

Other possible suggestions which were also brought up last year but are very unlikely to be implemented in 2020 unless we see overwhelming support are:
    Banning the use of optional multipliers in fights where there's a heavy underdog (ie where theres an underdog multiplier in play)

Banning the use of multipliers on DRAW picks, the odds of getting a successful DRAW pick are high but the potential score from a multiplied DRAW could be seen as unbalancing.

Increasing the number of DEC picks from 2 (CLOSE and WIDE) to 3 (SPLIT, CLOSE and WIDE) possibly with DRAW results incorporated into the SPLIT category.

Changing the scoring balance to weigh more heavily towards correct method and detail over just the correct winner. Suggestions might include 20/20/20 or 10/15/15. Alternatively changing the scoring balance back closer to the 2018 pick em is also possible such as 20/5/5 or 20/10/5 perhaps

Like I say though, don't worry, these are just kinda suggestions for you to mull over the course of the year and not firm plans in any way.

We're also looking for more input of how many and which types of fights players want - we did a record high of 92 Pick Ems in 2019 of which 86 were actually scored due to cancellations and NCs and such. We'd like to hear if you'd like fewer or more in 2020, whether you prefer high level mismatches over lesser known fighters in more even contests and so on. To this end we're planning on re-introducing the monthly UPCOMING PICK EMs threads towards the end of each month to allow all the players to have a degree of input into which fights they'd like to see in the game the following month. I'd encourage you all to participate in these threads as it allows us to better gauge and tailor the game to how you want it to be.

So. What else... damn sure there's something I forgot but I reckon it'll come to me in time and right now we just need to get this show on the road.

Thankyou all for your patience, and apologies to those of you who ain't familiar with my excessive verbosity, but I'm afraid you may have to get used to it..

Wishing you all the best of luck with the coming year and extending a warm welcome to all players, old and new alike.

Koba

If one of the mods could see their way to sticking this thread to the front page in place of the 2019 Masterthread I'd be most appreciative...

-MEGA-, BostonGuy, TBear, jaded, LoadedWraps, bigjavi973
    Last edited by PICK EM CREW; 01-04-2020, 09:12 PM.

Originally posted by PICK EM CREW View Post
    A x3 underdog multiplier win with a x2 optional multiplier applied would net the player 6x (3+2) their regular points, not 9x (3x2).
    You lost me with this.

3+2 would be 5.

3x2 would be 6.

3 ² would be 9.

Right?

Or are you using some new hippie math?

Comment

Damn but I write too much...

Just to clarify that whilst I've thrown out a whole load of suggestions - some fairly radical - in fact the only changes we're really looking at making for this year are pretty minor. A little tweaking of the underdog multipliers and points for a DRAW pick mainly.

The one I really want to canvass opinion on is the special one off x5 multiplier - first suggested by 'Pandas a coupla months back. I liked the idea when I first heard it and have been trying to figure a way of incorporating it without messing with play balance too much. Way I'm figuring it is dropping one of the x3s and not allowing it on heavy mismatches (on either the favourite or the dog).

Anyways, please all give as much feedback as possible, this ish is about what you want as the players, not about me trying to shoehorn in new rules that you don't want however neat I think they might be.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        You lost me with this.

3+2 would be 5.

3x2 would be 6.

3 ² would be 9.

Right?

Or are you using some new hippie math?
        ha ha. Ooops. I started off using the example of a x3 optional mult with a x3 'Dog multiplier and then changed my mind part way through because I thought x2 and x3 would make for a clearer example. Unfortunately I didn't change the answers accordingly. So it should read:

A x3 underdog multiplier win with a x2 optional multiplier applied would net the player 5x (3+2) their regular points, not 6x (3x2).

OR

A x3 underdog multiplier win with a x3 optional multiplier applied would net the player 6x (3+3) their regular points, not 9x (3x3).

Ima go back and edit now, thanks for the heads up, man.
        Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-04-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Regarding the scoring I would prefer the scoring to be 20,20,20 with the option of split thrown into the decision just to make it more skill based less luck.
          I could be shooting myself in the foot though as I'm only 3 years into being a fan of boxing and odviously don't know as much as most on here. Lol.
          Edit- so I'm assuming the pikem crew will decide what ways to score and the rules before next week and let us all know?
          Last edited by BLASTER1; 01-04-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            ha ha. Ooops. I started off using the example of a x3 optional mult with a x3 'Dog multiplier and then changed my mind part way through because I thought x2 and x3 would make for a clearer example. Unfortunately I didn't change the answers accordingly. So it should read:

A x3 underdog multiplier win with a x2 optional multiplier applied would net the player 5x (3+2) their regular points, not 6x (3x2).

OR

A x3 underdog multiplier win with a x3 optional multiplier applied would net the player 6x (3+3) their regular points, not 9x (3x3).

Ima go back and edit now, thanks for the heads up, man.
            Well if we weren’t confused before, we damn sure are now!! Lol. Sorry I had to get that out.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
              Regarding the scoring I would prefer the scoring to be 20,20,20 with the option of split thrown into the decision just to make it more skill based less luck.
              I could be shooting myself in the foot though as I'm only 3 years into being a fan of boxing and odviously don't know as much as most on here. Lol.
              Edit- so I'm assuming the pikem crew will decide what ways to score and the rules before next week and let us all know?
              It’s your opportunity to speak up bro..if you would like it one way or another it’s a good time to address it now. Good luck this year

Comment

Just wanna gets this thing started.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
                  It’s your opportunity to speak up bro..if you would like it one way or another it’s a good time to address it now. Good luck this year
                  Ok sweet bro.
                  I kinda put down what I would like to see this year.

Bruz I just hope to get the year of to a winning start.
                  Theirs nothing worse than starting the year on a loss like I did in 2018. Lol.
                  Goodluck to you brother.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                    Just wanna gets this thing started.
                    You've been talking a lot of trash. You better back it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X