No announcement yet.

Jill Stein (Green Party Candidate) Slams Fox Business

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    They were all about personal responsibility and not getting into debt when it came to student loans...but not a word about that when it came to the Wall Street bank bailouts.

They are such hypocrites. It's why I usually can't stand the Republican party.

Not that the Democrats are much better.
    Uh......it was Obama who bailed out Wall Street and last time I checked he was the leader of the Democratic party.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
      $250K is an exaggerated number. Realistically student loan debt on average depending what university you attend ranges from 30K to 100K. You can however really minimize your student loan debt if you're smart and attend community college for two years and then transfer to a university for the other two.

Our problem is that Government subsidizes these loans and basically hands them out to every young person seeking a college education. This allows universities to raise their tuition to whatever they want since government will pay for it anyways. This then guarantees that this young generation becomes heavily indebted and a slave to the U.S government as student loans have to be repaid no matter what.
      Yeah over here uni fees are regulated so they can't just put them up to whatever they want. We also dont have to pay back anything unless you earn a certain amount which is about 55k a year and there's no interest.

but then again it used to be completely free.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Uh......it was Obama who bailed out Wall Street and last time I checked he was the leader of the Democratic party.
        It wouldn't have mattered if it was a Republican or Democrat in office, Wall Street would've been bailed out either way.

Comment

I support some sort of student debt forgiveness program but the trouble is that it would need to be selective and the left would object to that.

Forgiving debt for STEM and medical education with good grades? Hell yeah. There are many people who would be contributing far more to society if they saw a way to navigate their finances while finishing an extremely demanding program.

Forgiving debt for your average student who takes random "feminism abstract art" classes until negotiating a general studies degree with their adviser because they didn't want to take math? **** NO. Student debt is the one punishment those people have for wasting everyone's time and clogging up the system. They just party and collect subsidy checks as it is.

Student aid fraud is already a a huge problem where people get a $5,500 check to take a couple feminism/winetasting classes at the local community college (for up to 6 years) with no intention of graduating on time.

On one hand, you have real students moving across the country and going into huge debt for their real degree.

On the other hand, you have a very large number of students making a PROFIT off of FAFSA, CalGrant, etc while earning the bare minimum units for a "general studies" degree. It's just supplemental income to them.

In California if you're a slacker living at home while enrolled:
          FAFSA: $5,500+tuition waiver for community college. A couple hundred dollars in textbooks. $5,300 profit for booze and hookers.

FAFSA+State Grant/Cal Grant/Blue&Gold Program at state Universities: Minimum of $5,500+$6,000. $7,000 tuition. Most campuses moving to free Etextbooks. $4,000+ profit for the fraudster student.
          Last edited by ////; 07-16-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
            US250k for a degree ?

I thought owing $40k after my Masters was bad.

How can people afford that ?
            Anyone who spends 250k on a bachelor degree shouldn't haven enrolled in the first place. I guess they bought a Lamborghini at some point?

My tuition was fully paid with one form submitted (I was not on scholarship -- I only submitted one standard standard student aid form). The only debt I had was my apartment rent.

If I had been willing to live with my parents during college, I would have walked away with a profit of about $20,000, pocketing the extra money they paid me which exceeded my tuition. I know a few guys who did this and either traveled the world or started a business with the money.
            Last edited by ////; 07-16-2016, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              Uh...did you forget the $700 billion bank bailout that George W. Bush signed into law?

The party of personal responsibility suddenly became the party of too big to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
                In California if you're a slacker living at home while enrolled:
                FAFSA: $5,500+tuition waiver for community college. A couple hundred dollars in textbooks. $5,300 profit for booze and hookers.

FAFSA+State Grant/Cal Grant/Blue&Gold Program at state Universities: Minimum of $5,500+$6,000. $7,000 tuition. Most campuses moving to free Etextbooks. $4,000+ profit for the fraudster student.
                To be fair, in LA or SF it's almost impossible to be a full time student and work any job that can pay for your rent. It's even like that in Texas cities where the average rent on a one bedroom apt is now over $1,000/month. Sure you can get roommates to share the rent, but with part time jobs paying very low wages it's difficult if not impractical. I don't have the figures in front of me but the percentage of millennials living at home is very high. And they can't all be called slackers; it's economics.

BTW my last year in college I took 60 credits (which is actually 2 years worth of classes) and worked two jobs. However, my college costs were extremely low (a Denver city Uni with dirt cheap costs) and I owned a slum house. But that was 36 years ago. Differences now are 1) cost of tuition have skyrocketed 2) costs to rent/buy homes have skyrocketed and 3) the minimum wage has in no way kept up with inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                  To be fair, in LA or SF it's almost impossible to be a full time student and work any job that can pay for your rent. It's even like that in Texas cities where the average rent on a one bedroom apt is now over $1,000/month. Sure you can get roommates to share the rent, but with part time jobs paying very low wages it's difficult if not impractical. I don't have the figures in front of me but the percentage of millennials living at home is very high. And they can't all be called slackers; it's economics.

BTW my last year in college I took 60 credits (which is actually 2 years worth of classes) and worked two jobs. However, my college costs were extremely low (a Denver city Uni with dirt cheap costs) and I owned a slum house. But that was 36 years ago. Differences now are 1) cost of tuition have skyrocketed 2) costs to rent/buy homes have skyrocketed and 3) the minimum wage has in no way kept up with inflation.
                  I didn't mean that anyone living at home was a slacker. It's a financially wise decision. I'd probably want my kids to live at home. I'm from LA.

I just mean a lot of people are gaming the system, have no actual living expenses because they live at home and collect financial aid package comfortably exceeding their tuition costs. For them college is better than free: They're being paid to swing by once in a while, party, take 11 or whatever the minimum is units of sociology. Meanwhile the guy going to pharmacy school has his credit ruined and has to travel out of state and pay double tuition.

I'm fine with debt forgiveness because it rewards students who actually FINISHED a degree and got a job. Replacing our current fraud-infested student aid system with loans that are forgiven upon graduation would be great.
                  Last edited by ////; 07-16-2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Uh...did you forget the $700 billion bank bailout that George W. Bush signed into law?

The party of personal responsibility suddenly became the party of too big to fail.
                    obama did the same thing and he's suppose to be more righteous more intelligent than george W who we all know is a dumb fcking corrupt idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
                      obama did the same thing and he's suppose to be more righteous more intelligent than george W who we all know is a dumb fcking corrupt idiot.
                      That's why I said in my first post that the Democrats aren't much better.

They both put the interests of the corporate overlords over the interests of the people. The Repubs just happen to love to preach to you about personal responsibility while they do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X