Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo Vs GGG Rematch: What can they do differently?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not interested in a rematch. Unless it takes place in a neutral arena / venue. So in a place like Germany, United Kingdom, Australia and etc.

The fight doesn't need to happen in Golovkin's backyard in Kazakhstan or Russia. If the fight happens in a neutral arena, then neither has an unfair advantage and we are therefore more likely to see the better man win on the night without either side being handicapped. Whichever side declines this offer is the one that is going to be seen as the one doing the 'duck'

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
      I will tell you right now there will be no rematch. After rewatching the fight Canelo was completely overwhelmed by the insane relentless pressure cuppled with the size and power by Golovkin. I don't see how Golovkin can do anything different without taking the full brunt of his power. Even if he could come forward with overhand rights and a relentless body attack in the rematch, I don't see it being beneficial, where Golovkin will take his worst and inflict even more debilitating damage.

It's like the whole thing with George Foreman. Golovkin is just to big and powerful with a stylistic nightmare for Canelo just like Foreman was for Ken Norton. Canelo honestly is a mediocre offensive fighter when it comes to bigger guys. He naturally is used to setting traps against smaller opposition. Too many straight punches and fighting on the back foot. I want to see him prioritize a sledge hammer overhand right as his bread and butter if he is ever to have a chance against the Golovkin we saw last night. But again Golovkins power is no joke, that telephone pole jab nullified and will going forward, what he can do as far as inside work in the rematch. I wish Canelo would use his heavy weight and stature to his advantage
      I'm one of those that thinks Canelo expends a ton of needless energy with his loose, hands down, explosive slick defensive style like Floyd. Golovkin looked stoick and technically efficient, seemed very conservative. Canelo didnt have a second to rest with running on the backfoot slipping, throwing and moving from Golovkins relentless pressure where Golovkin had an easier less strenuous time just walking upright in a position of strength.
      Brilliantly stated. Canelo's lack of knockout power (and even power to substantially effect opponents) have been exposed against the likes of Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. The fight against Golovkin simply reinforced that point further.

At least Golovkin stopped and practically demolished Kell Brook. A guy who is roughly the same sized as Miguel Cotto but was better when he fought Golovkin than the version of Miguel Cotto that Canelo Alvarez faced because Cotto was previously beaten many times in a lighter weight division and was old and past his best. On the other hand, Kell Brook was at his peak and was unbeaten when he took on Golovkin. The same is the case against Julio Cesar Chavez jr. Golovkin dropped Martin Murray multiple times and stopped him. Yet, Canelo Alvarez didn't even come close to dropping Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Martin Murray and Julio Cesar are similar level of opponents and are similar in size. However, Golovkin fought Martin Murray that wasn't weight drained unlike the Julio Cesar Chaveaz jr that Canelo Alvarez fought who was badly weight drained. Yet, Golovkin again does better by winning by a bigger margin whilst Canelo wins by a smaller margin.

This is actually a testament to not how overrated and poor Canelo's punching power is from a middleweight perspective, but also how poor his offensive skills are. Golovkin consistently gets his stoppages, not just because of punching power, but also because of high level offensive skills. Whereas Canelo's offense is less versatile. Hence, he is unable to set up knockout punches against similar sized / similar caliber opposition like Golovkin does.

So based on those factors, I actually have a hard time imagining if Canelo Alvarez could even effect other top middleweights like David Lemieux or Daniel Jacobs when he couldn't even effect the likes of Miguel Cotto with his offense and power that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
        I'm not interested in a rematch. Unless it takes place in a neutral arena / venue. So in a place like Germany, United Kingdom, Australia and etc.

The fight doesn't need to happen in Golovkin's backyard in Kazakhstan or Russia. If the fight happens in a neutral arena, then neither has an unfair advantage and we are therefore more likely to see the better man win on the night without either side being handicapped. Whichever side declines this offer is the one that is going to be seen as the one doing the 'duck'
        This 100% GGG wont get a decision in the US. Especially not in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
          This 100% GGG wont get a decision in the US. Especially not in Vegas.
          yup.Smart ones already knew he wouldnt get it in the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ippo View Post
            yup.Smart ones already knew he wouldnt get it in the first fight.
            Yes and the GGG haters said we were making excuses when we said that. He needed a KO, nothing else to make sure of a victory.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
              Yes and the GGG haters said we were making excuses when we said that. He needed a KO, nothing else to make sure of a victory.
              It was so obvious.With Canelos backing he always has at least one judge on the take.Ko is the only way ggg gets a win with canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
                Brilliantly stated. Canelo's lack of knockout power (and even power to substantially effect opponents) have been exposed against the likes of Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. The fight against Golovkin simply reinforced that point further.

At least Golovkin stopped and practically demolished Kell Brook. A guy who is roughly the same sized as Miguel Cotto but was better when he fought Golovkin than the version of Miguel Cotto that Canelo Alvarez faced because Cotto was previously beaten many times in a lighter weight division and was old and past his best. On the other hand, Kell Brook was at his peak and was unbeaten when he took on Golovkin. The same is the case against Julio Cesar Chavez jr. Golovkin dropped Martin Murray multiple times and stopped him. Yet, Canelo Alvarez didn't even come close to dropping Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Martin Murray and Julio Cesar are similar level of opponents and are similar in size. However, Golovkin fought Martin Murray that wasn't weight drained unlike the Julio Cesar Chaveaz jr that Canelo Alvarez fought who was badly weight drained. Yet, Golovkin again does better by winning by a bigger margin whilst Canelo wins by a smaller margin.

This is actually a testament to not how overrated and poor Canelo's punching power is from a middleweight perspective, but also how poor his offensive skills are. Golovkin consistently gets his stoppages, not just because of punching power, but also because of high level offensive skills. Whereas Canelo's offense is less versatile. Hence, he is unable to set up knockout punches against similar sized / similar caliber opposition like Golovkin does.

So based on those factors, I actually have a hard time imagining if Canelo Alvarez could even effect other top middleweights like David Lemieux or Daniel Jacobs when he couldn't even effect the likes of Miguel Cotto with his offense and power that much.
                Agreed. My whole thing with Canelo is how stupidly arrogant and great he makes himself out to be. With the way he is being promoted as the face of boxing, one of if not the greatest Mexican fighter of all time on, a no ****ing around knockout artist and then contrasted with the reality of his very beta backfoot defensive style against blown up welterweights is why I'm someone that demands a rematch.
                Canelo will never call a spade a spade though. If he'd just say, "hey, Golovkin is like nothing I've ever faced. He's too big, too talented for me at 160, as seen Saturday night. Right now, I don't know how to do any better than I did. Wish him all the success in his reign at 160.", but he won't because it's all smoke and mirrors with Canelo and Golden Boy. He most likely will kill himself to keep making 155ish against yes, some very talented welterweights who will likely be dabbling around at 154 soon, but also natural 154lbers who Canelo still greatly outweighs.

And I mean that's fine. I have no problem Canelo being the boogieman at 154 as a Mexican champion who sets out to prove himself as the best light middleweight of recent memory. It'd be fitting to have someone as big and dangerous as himself as the king pin of light middleweight where he'd act as the gatekeeper for 160 to anyone wanting to rise up in the divisions. But so as long as Canelo acts like a pompous prick who is a chip off of Pac, Mayweather or Ali it just ruins that whole idea. He'd have to humble himself and just act like a stand up respectable guy to his colleagues if he wants to be like GGG or Hopkins, with a long reigning supremacy that can last through multiple eras.

Comment

GGG needs to stop head hunting like a robot and invest in body shots. for canelo though idk, if he gets more aggressive it's very likely he runs into something, not sure what he can do differently in the rematch besides plant another judge to score 118-110 in his favor.
                  Last edited by John Barron; 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
                    Agreed. My whole thing with Canelo is how stupidly arrogant and great he makes himself out to be. With the way he is being promoted as the face of boxing, one of if not the greatest Mexican fighter of all time on, a no ****ing around knockout artist and then contrasted with the reality of his very beta backfoot defensive style against blown up welterweights is why I'm someone that demands a rematch.
                    Canelo will never call a spade a spade though. If he'd just say, "hey, Golovkin is like nothing I've ever faced. He's too big, too talented for me at 160, as seen Saturday night. Right now, I don't know how to do any better than I did. Wish him all the success in his reign at 160.", but he won't because it's all smoke and mirrors with Canelo and Golden Boy. He most likely will kill himself to keep making 155ish against yes, some very talented welterweights who will likely be dabbling around at 154 soon, but also natural 154lbers who Canelo still greatly outweighs.

And I mean that's fine. I have no problem Canelo being the boogieman at 154 as a Mexican champion who sets out to prove himself as the best light middleweight of recent memory. It'd be fitting to have someone as big and dangerous as himself as the king pin of light middleweight where he'd act as the gatekeeper for 160 to anyone wanting to rise up in the divisions. But so as long as Canelo acts like a pompous prick who is a chip off of Pac, Mayweather or Ali it just ruins that whole idea. He'd have to humble himself and just act like a stand up respectable guy to his colleagues if he wants to be like GGG or Hopkins, with a long reigning supremacy that can last through multiple eras.
                    I agree. I just don't think Canelo Alvarez is actually bigger than Golovkin in size. They're both roughly the same size in terms of weight. It's just that one guy (Golovkin) decides to compete in a higher weight division against opponents his own size most of the time whilst the other guy (Canelo Alvarez) decides to fight against opponents he significantly outweighs to gain an unfair advantage most of the time. If Golovkin were to compete at 154 pounds, some of the current GGG critics and even non-critics will apply hypocritical criticism, where they will criticize Golovkin heavily for it but will give Canelo Alvarez a pass.

Beating lighter opponents who are top P4P ranked boxers isn't as impressive as beating similar sized opponents who are top ranked opponents in one's own weight division, if they aren't ranked as high in terms of P4P rankings. If Canelo Alvarez were to beat someone like Mikey Garcia tomorrow, then that'd be a better win in his resume in terms of the best wins over the best P4P ranked opponents compared to Golovkin. However, Golovkin's win over Daniel Jacobs will still be more impressive because he would've beaten an opponent that is ACTUALLY his own size, in his own weight division and top 5 ranked in his own weight division. That is because, even if the heavier opponent (in this case Daniel Jacobs) isn't ranked as high in the P4P rankings, they will still present a greater risk than the much lighter opponents who are ranked higher in the P4P rankings. If one disputes this. Then one has to ask themselves: would Daniel Jacobs be a riskier opponent for Canelo Alvarez or would Mikey Garcia be a riskier opponent in terms of likelihood of losing. The fact that Mikey Garcia is higher ranked in the P4P ranking compared to Daniel Jacobs is irrelevant.

So this is one of the biggest problems. Many confuse quality of opposition of a boxer by only seeing how high they are ranked P4P. In my book, a skilled + heavy boxer (Daniel Jacobs > a skilled plus light boxer (Mikey Garcia) in terms of who the better opponent is. So when those factors are added into the equation, Canelo Alvarez really doesn't have a better resume than Gennady Golovkin when considering he is roughly the same size as Golovkin himself.

Many assume Golovkin is bigger than he actually is because of his punching power. However, despite being a much more powerful puncher than Canelo Alvarez, he really isn't much, if at all bigger in size. So because of that, those individuals have unreasonable expectations for Golovkin that he has to move up to light heavyweight and other divisions and fight opponents there but those same individuals don't have the same expectation for Canelo Alvarez. I guess if Golovkin had a 50% knockout record, then he probably wouldn't have unreasonable expectations.

Comment

They waited for GGG to get older and show some vulnerability, before Oscar would sign for this fight. Not really wanting to see a re-match , GBP`s will drag it out at least another year, making GGG another year older. If a re-match is made I would not be surprised if Canelo gets a legit UD. The clock is ticking for GGG.

Comment

Working...
                      X