Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Canelo carry his punching power to 160lbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Canelo carry his punching power to 160lbs?

First of all, a big congratulations to Canelo and his team. He looked very good last night. I liked how he carried the weight, his strategy and tactics, and his conditioning. I'm also very excited the Canelo vs GGG fight is happening this year. I know I gave Canelo a hard time for a minute here, but I also knew it was mostly his promotion company delaying the fight. Respect to him.

Now to the subject at hand... Will Canelo carry his power to the MW division? I know he can punch hard, period, but what's going to be the effect of his punches against the naturally bigger men in this new weightclass. We've seen that against people his size, that aren't considered to have a weak chin i.e. Kirkland, it takes him a while to put his opponents out, and this is after landing heavy artillery on them, much like he did against Chavez jr.

How will this translate as a factor in his fight against GGG? Canelo is a sharpshooter, and with his skills and accuracy he will earn everyone's respect in the ring to a certain extent. My question is; can he make GGG reluctant to stay in the pocket, how I think Danny Jacobs did?

I think it will be very hard for GGG to get the decision against Canelo. So if Canelo can discourage GGG from applying effective consistent pressure, he wins, however, if GGG can establish his pace I think he will hurt Canelo and can potentially stop him or dominate enough rounds to maybe get a decision.

Against Chavez jr., who I'm considering similar in size to Canelo, he didn't look very powerful per se. Maybe by the time he gets in the ring against GGG, and the 160 weight limit vs 164.5 might help too, his body will be even more accustomed to the higher weight and his punches will be crisper. But then again, Canelo has been criticized for fighting smaller/weak chinned guys for a while now. Some believe this has been a significant factor for him looking impressive and powerful.

Usually the truth is somewhere in between two extreme opposing views. Where do you stand on this, and how do you think this will affect the Canelo vs GGG fight?

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
    First of all, a big congratulations to Canelo and his team. He looked very good last night. I liked how he carried the weight, his strategy and tactics, and his conditioning. I'm also very excited the Canelo vs GGG fight is happening this year. I know I gave Canelo a hard time for a minute here, but I also knew it was mostly his promotion company delaying the fight. Respect to him.

Now to the subject at hand... Will Canelo carry his power to the MW division? I know he can punch hard, period, but what's going to be the effect of his punches against the naturally bigger men in this new weightclass. We've seen that against people his size, that aren't considered to have a weak chin i.e. Kirkland, it takes him a while to put his opponents out, and this is after landing heavy artillery on them, much like he did against Chavez jr.

How will this translate as a factor in his fight against GGG? Canelo is a sharpshooter, and with his skills and accuracy he will earn everyone's respect in the ring to a certain extent. My question is; can he make GGG reluctant to stay in the pocket, how I think Danny Jacobs did?

I think it will be very hard for GGG to get the decision against Canelo. So if Canelo can discourage GGG from applying effective consistent pressure, he wins, however, if GGG can establish his pace I think he will hurt Canelo and can potentially stop him or dominate enough rounds to maybe get a decision.

Against Chavez jr., who I'm considering similar in size to Canelo, he didn't look very powerful per se. Maybe by the time he gets in the ring against GGG, and the 160 weight limit vs 164.5 might help too, his body will be even more accustomed to the higher weight and his punches will be crisper. But then again, Canelo has been criticized for fighting smaller/weak chinned guys for a while now. Some believe this has been a significant factor for him looking impressive and powerful.

Usually the truth is somewhere in between two extreme opposing views. Where do you stand on this, and how do you think this will affect the Canelo vs GGG fight?
    What punching power???

Dude has never been a puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
      What punching power???

Dude has never been a puncher.
      You don't score the type of KO's he's had without good punching power.

Comment

I don't think he can hurt any top fighter at 160... Chavez was beaten bad last night, but never on the verge of falling... He's gonna have to be patient with GGG, avoid the bombs and the devastating jab and hope he can outbox the aging king ...

Comment

I think Canelo has always been and will continue to be a pretty big puncher. He isn't a KO artist, but if you take liberties with him he can get you. Chavez just has a great chin, plus naturally a bigger man. I think there are plenty of good middleweights that Canelo is capable of stopping.

Comment

Why wouldn't he? Five measly pounds isn't gonna make any difference, especially as Canelo has to practically drain himself to get down to 155 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              I think Canelo has always been and will continue to be a pretty big puncher. He isn't a KO artist, but if you take liberties with him he can get you. Chavez just has a great chin, plus naturally a bigger man. I think there are plenty of good middleweights that Canelo is capable of stopping.
              The guys at 160 are also naturally bigger than Canelo. These guys (not Canelo) coming up to 160 from 154 are big guys. Charlo is one of them.

Canelo got respectable power but not a huge puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Superbee View Post
                I don't think he can hurt any top fighter at 160.
                More or less this.

Canelo's top 5 notable fighter KO's:

Amir Khan - moved up 8lbs & arguably 15lbs cuz he has never really proved himself at 147 + hadn't fought in a year

James Kirkland - f#ckup with a bad chin + hadn't fought in a year & a half

Josesito Lopez - moved up 14lbs & iirc did so on short notice after Paul Williams got hurt although I may be mistaken on how much notice he had

Kermit Cintron

Ryan Rhodes

Hardly a awe inspiring list of KO's. He won't stop GGG either, he'll win by decision cuz he does got a good fight IQ, but it'll be fun cuz both come to legit fight.

Comment

Lol, we already know that, he has been fighting at middleweight for some time.
                  Canelo doesn't have great punching power and never had it, he stopped Khan, Kirkland, Angulo by accumulation and Smith, besides Smith, all of them were stopped before and at lighter classes, he couldn't drop Lara and Cotto despite both of them being down several times during their careers and the only top fighter that he has ever knocked down is Trout who has been knocked down plenty of times himself.
                  Canelo doesn't have great power but he does have great timing and accuracy and that's far more important, so it doesn't matters if he can't really knock guys unconscious at 160 because his style isn't about that, he is heavy handed enough to make his opponents think about pressure him but he wouldn't score the ko's he scored against Khan and Kirkland over top opposition.

Comment

no. he didnt wobble chavez once last night and he was hitting him clean all night. he looks powerful against glass jawed fighters- khan and kirkland. thats it. its a myth he carries power.

Comment

Working...
                    X