No announcement yet.

USA haven't had a male Olympic Gold medalist in boxing since 2004

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Man that's gotta suck a$$. I legit felt bad for that guy with how little he did on that level despite going so many times.

Also that dude wears like size 4 shoes or something crazy small like that. That's gotta f#ck with your confidence too. Can't be 20 something & buying shoes in the child section & not feel f#cked up about it.
    Lmao I laughed even though this was just random.
    Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    To be fair, Warren did win a gold at the World Amateur Championships, and two bronzes.

If those had been olympic years, he would have picked up a gold.

World Amateur Championships, and Olympic Gold Medals are kinda 1a and 1b. Both of them require you to win over the top fighters in the world.
    I know you follow the amateur scene closer than me so I can't really argue much here but as far as the bold goes, his results at the Olympics kinda disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      4 years winning the same tournaments and then turn pro at 22-23

whats the point of him fighting for free another 3 years when his amatuer record is 80+ wins only 9 losses ? RingStar picked him up and scouted him at the championships last year

he is 1-0 and fights in june
      Well he would have been facing more skilled opponents in the amateurs than he will be in the pros for the next few years. But of course he wouldn't be getting paid so I understand the decision

Comment

Amateur boxing corruption going to that terrible point scoring system.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
          Lmao I laughed even though this was just random.

I know you follow the amateur scene closer than me so I can't really argue much here but as far as the bold goes, his results at the Olympics kinda disagree with you.
          Considering he medaled at 3 consecutive World Amateur Championships, and his olympic losses were

2004, lost to Gold Medalist Zou Shiming

2008, lost to World Amateur Champion Lee Ok-sung

Any way you slice it, he got really ****ty first rounds draws at both olympic games, and with his 2008 loss there was some scoring controversy as it appeared Warren should have been the winner of the bout but his punches were not being consistently scored and he ended up losing, by 1 point.

But anyways, he was meeting guys he would normally meet in the finals in the 1st round.

Yeah he lost, but if the seeding would have been different, and he had met those guys later in the tournament, he could have easily come away with two olympic medals.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppo168 View Post
            you can see the decline in US boxing over the past decade with the lack of medals over the past 4 Olympics

Andre Ward was the last male gold medalist.

What is the main catalyst for the decline in US boxing?
            USA boxing has been declining on the Olympic seen since the early 90's. That's nothing new. When they went to a different scoring system years ago it was to the detriment to the Americans as there style had always been more pro-based than amateur based.

But who cares fuk Olympic boxing, it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              Considering he medaled at 3 consecutive World Amateur Championships, and his olympic losses were

2004, lost to Gold Medalist Zou Shiming

2008, lost to World Amateur Champion Lee Ok-sung

Any way you slice it, he got really ****ty first rounds draws at both olympic games, and with his 2008 loss there was some scoring controversy as it appeared Warren should have been the winner of the bout but his punches were not being consistently scored and he ended up losing, by 1 point.

But anyways, he was meeting guys he would normally meet in the finals in the 1st round.

Yeah he lost, but if the seeding would have been different, and he had met those guys later in the tournament, he could have easily come away with two olympic medals.
              He lost to Zou bro. A fighter that is mediocre at best. When you have someone like Zou winning gold it tells me the division just isn't that good. I could be wrong though.

Let's put Warren to the side for a minute. What do you say when the US has someone like Breazeale representing them at the Olympics?

Comment

Other countries have adapted. It helps cause that's all they train for unlike us who start thinking of the $$$$ right away.

Comment

Floyd broke the standard of Cubans schooling when he was at the Olympics and was robbed a gold medal like RJJ. The karma in that made him the best boxer of this era along in being at one point the highest grossing athlete in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
                    Eastern europeans are taking over and former soviet countries. You have 3 of them in the p4p list. 5 years from now everyone on the p4p list will be from eastern europe or former soviet countries.
                    Grown ass men in their late 20s fighting kids 18-22 isn't something to be proud of lol

Our kids turn pro @ 18-22

90% of the time and these guys are raising families in Europe fighting youths kmsl

It isn't really translating in the pros besides a dead division like cruiserweight

Dudes are 28 making pro debuts...WTF

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                      Well he would have been facing more skilled opponents in the amateurs than he will be in the pros for the next few years. But of course he wouldn't be getting paid so I understand the decision
                      In 4 years he could possible be a top ten contender or close to a title shot... That trumps amatuer glory

Our kids aren't getting paid from sponsors like Cuba, Former soviet union

Thats why Mexicans n Americans say **** it...go pro

Also its no head gear now.... Might as well get paid taking lumps, cuts, headbutts ,etc

Comment

Working...
                      X