No announcement yet.

looking for sparring advice, skinny tall guy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for sparring advice, skinny tall guy

So with sparring I have a lot of ups and downs, mostly downs.

Now I want to try something different tomorow evening at the sparring session but I wonder if some of you may be having some hints and tips for me to train on.

Some attributes of me:
    Length: 178 Centimeter
    Weight: 66 "kg"
    Legs: Fast Good footwork and kicks.
    Recovery: Quite fast

Recently I have been jogging, and increasing mine 5 mile run, with jogging moved up into fast rapid sprints, to increase mine dash speed.

I do lag in punching speed, the only speed I can handle is the Double Jab.

What is the advice you guys might can give to train on, to a so called Ecto-Mesomorph body type in Kickboxing?

Hard work, get a good coach, watch a lot of fight videos, steal what you watch and implement it.

Comment

Good footwork and kicks...are you Amir Khan?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
        Good footwork and kicks...are you Amir Khan?

I wish but for a 4 month starter this is so far mine only arsenal I can use.

I know I havn't build up much cardio yet, but so far mine speed is improving at the 5 miles and continue mostly to train on the footwork and kicks.

Comment

Guys at your weight class are going to have a shorter reach so focus on your straight punches. When you come on guys who use a lot of head movement throw double and triple jabs, follow up with the two and jab out. Your punch will land before theirs so don't let them inside your 1-2.

Comment

Hi,

I'm in the same situation, perhaps more extreme: at 185 cm, I weigh 61 kg... I plan to gain some weight through building muscle but still I guess I'll be more or less like this. I'm an absolute beginner (been boxing for 1 month now), so I have no advice -- just a heads up you're not alone. Heheh.

Comment

blimey, 185 and 61 Kg that must be very low body fat right there. do you have a long reach ontop of that?

**arms out straight to your side, keep them straight like a Crucifixion, measure knuckles on right hand to knuckles on left hand, going across your shoulder blades and back. If the length is longer than your height, technically you have a long reach for your size, if its the same then you are average, if its shorter then you have short reach***

You will naturally be taller than a lot of your opponents as someone weighing 61KG (typically on average will be a good 3 or 4 + inches shorter than you (especially at beginner level))

Keep your punches nice and straight and long, your reach will be one of your strongest weapons at this stage in your career, use it to your advantage. Make sure your elbows are tucked in as you throw, this makes the punch harder to see coming for your opponent. When i coach kids and beginners, one of the first bad habits that develop is the elbow starts to raise up as the punches are thrown (i call it the chicken wing), get this habit banished as soon as possible, its a trait/tell that your opponent will start to see and then preempt the punch and slip it straight away

Get use to throwing double and triple jabs

Comment

Thank you!
                I've just measured my reach and it's totally average... the difference between my arms and my height isn't more than 2 cm.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X