Beer and Training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer and Training?

I want to hear some thoughts on this.

I don't mean getting fu*ked up. I mean like 1 or 2 beers every once and a while. Not necessarily while training for a fight, but in between fights. I feel like it wouldn't make much of a difference in performance. Thoughts?

Depends what you want to achieve, if you are fighting for an Olympic place then yes. If you train and have the odd amateur fight here and there I'd say no.

It has zero nutritional value but alcohol does have proven qualities in helping relaxation etc

Comment

I can't give up the booze! It's not possible. I come from a long line of proud alcoholics.

Comment

" I feel like it wouldn't make much of a difference in performance. Thoughts?"

I agree your "imaginary performance" would not suffer at all. In fact why not a few before and after training it might help your story telling also. Good luck let us know when your on "espn fight nite"!
        You sound like an opponent that would be perfect for Mickey Rourke! Probably a lower caliber but what the hell it's only
        "make believe" right?

Ray

Comment

Clean life and 100 percent Hopkins style dedication is ideal but obviously not possible for most. Moderation is likely best and drink when you achieve something like a weight loss goal or a fight or an amount of money saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            " I feel like it wouldn't make much of a difference in performance. Thoughts?"

I agree your "imaginary performance" would not suffer at all. In fact why not a few before and after training it might help your story telling also. Good luck let us know when your on "espn fight nite"!
            You sound like an opponent that would be perfect for Mickey Rourke! Probably a lower caliber but what the hell it's only
            "make believe" right?

Ray
            Whoa hey now Ray. No need for the disrespect pal. I'm not even talking about a few, I said 1, 2 at the very most and that would be after training, never before. I've read several articles stating that alcohol in moderation can provide health benefits. Hell Manny Pacquiao had a drinking problem. How did his career turn out?

I'm not advocating that beer is a performance enhancer at all. I'm saying that alcohol, beer and red wine, in moderation can provide health benefits and wouldn't significantly hinder athletic performance.

Comment

My mistake I didn't catch the resemblance with you & Pac.

Silly me, you move just like him too!!!

good luck.............

Comment

There's an article (which was debunked) about beer helping performance.

I've found that it can help with soreness, which is positive in that you can avoid NSAIDs (advil, etc) which are a detriment to muscle growth. Sitting in a hot tub or bath while drinking seems to really help. The last place I lived had a jacuzzi and sitting in there with a beer was the only way I could get the soreness down enough to train 4x a week. Must relate to circulation, inflammation, etc.

I also tend to feel better (less sore, more flexible, etc) when I stick with the habit of having 1 drink every or other night. When I don't drink (which is most of the time) I'm a bit tighter than when I casually do at night.

Comment

I think a beer here or there at an afternoon BBQ wih friends is OK.

Cut the booze out 10 weeks until fight night, jobs a goodun

everyone thinks they are training for the Golden Gloves or something when in reality most people are gonna hit a few pads with some fat sweaty bloke and more than likely take a selfie at the end and put it on Facebook

Hardly championship caliber, so id say a beer on a hot afternoon or evening is ok not necessarily a if you have a imminent fight though

Comment

Dont drink beer high cals

Comment

Working...
                    X