No announcement yet.

Training for power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John2226us
    While I think weight training can help someone in boxing if done properly, I do believe punchers are born not made. Anyone can improve their power of course. But I do think it is largely a natural thing. Such as you either have it or you dont type of a deal.
    I agree. It has to do with your muscle fiber combination, how the slow twitch/fast twitch ratio is.

Icedog: It's not so much that you teach your slowtwitch fibers to act like fast twitch (though there is some speculation this can happen, it is highly controversial). It goes like this: You have a certain amount of muscle fibers in a given muscle. Then you have nerve cells (neurons)that tell these fibers when and how much they need to contract. The greater the stimulus from the neuron, the harder the contraction. So each neuron stimulates a certain number of muscle fibers each. One neuron and the muscle fibers it's connected to is called a Motor unit. The thing is, no one can activate all their motor units in a muscle at once. About 50 % are kept in reserve (sometimes when adreanaline sets in, in a state of shock or extreme danger you can activate a much higher number). What actually happens when you train heavy weights and plyometrics, is that you stress the muscle/nerve system, and thereby force it to activate more motor units. This is why you can get stronger without adding a lot of bulk. Neural training.

Comment

penis push-ups always does the trick for me. gets me nice and strong

Comment

I always thought adding weight while not doing speed exercises would slow you down eventually...Anyways good post

Comment

Power punching has little to do with lifting weights. Its all about proper execution, using your body to the max in the blow and possibly natural things that you are born with.

Some of the hardest punchers that I ever faced were skinny, lean and cut. The muscle heads, as I like to call them, never could really hurt me. The fights were usually quite easy against the muscle bound guys.........Rockin'

Comment

Weights are good if used properly
            but there are TONS of stuff u can do without weights for lots of power or even better

Technique is the MOST important
            Look at Thomas Hearns, he puts everything into his punches

A punch u dont see coming affects u more
            (just look at when Robinson knocked out Fullmer) but in general a punch u dont see coming is 10 times more devastating

Balance is VERY important

Timing like someone mentioned is one of the most important

Accuracy is important

Speed!!

Endurance is great to, u can throw punches all night like u did in the first round

Power is great to lol (just ask George Foreman)

I think the Heavybag is one of the best tools for punching power
            U can do lots of body weight excercises
            Lots of variety of pushups, squats, pullups, etc...
            and lots of explosive excercises(Plyometrics)
            Handclap pushups, squat jumps, and medicine ball passes work GREAT!

Comment

Working...
            X