No announcement yet.

Higher All Time: Sergio Martinez or Gennady Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Golovkin. Better overall resume and more dominant.
    how?? Martinez was lineal and was knocking everyone out to..how is GGG's resume better?

Comment

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is high all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
        how?? Martinez was lineal and was knocking everyone out to..how is GGG's resume better?
        I don't pay much attention to the lineal stuff because it's too diluted to be taken seriously in this era. If we're talking about all time you can't ignore the fights that Martinez lost or didn't look good in.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          I don't pay much attention to the lineal stuff because it's too diluted to be taken seriously in this era. If we're talking about all time you can't ignore the fights that Martinez lost or didn't look good in.
          So do we rank Ali according to his losses to Berbick,Holmes?? and how he was floored by lesser fighters? or do we clearly go by his wins?

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
            If only they could have fought or something
            I like both and would have loved to see that...only if...

Comment

Resume isn't just about who you fought, it's when you fought them and how you looked doing it.

Pavlik was already past his best and going through a lot of issues by the time Martinez got to him, and it was still a life and death struggle with Martinez getting dropped along the way. Beating Danny Jacobs in his prime is at least as good of a win if not better. Jacobs would likely have beaten Martinez.

Then you look at their common opponents: Macklin gave Martinez a tough fight over eleven rounds yet was stopped in three easy rounds by Golovkin, and Martin Murray arguably did enough to beat Martinez yet was totally dominated and stopped by Golovkin. The difference is clear. Even Barker gave Martinez a hard fight, and he would most likely have fared the same as Macklin in a fight with GGG.

The Williams win was an impressive KO, but it's a bit of an overrated win in the grand scheme of things considering Williams was best as a 147lber. Erislandy Lara absolutely battered Williams in his next fight at 154lbs, but he doesn't get as much credit as the Martinez KO for some reason.

I've always felt that Martinez - whilst clearly a very good fighter - was a touch overrated. What's funny to me is that the guys he beat during his reign were of the same level as the guys Golovkin has been beating (and more impressively, to boot), yet Golovkin somehow gets criticised for having fought "nobody", lol.
              If these two had have fought, there was only going to be one winner- and Martinez knew that himself.

Comment

so far martinez, but GGG has everything to surpass him imo especially if he beats canelo and then unifies the last belt he needs.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                  If he beats Canelo his resume will be better. He didn't struggle with the euro bums like Sergio did and getting dropped by them.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
                    If he beats Canelo his resume will be better. He didn't struggle with the euro bums like Sergio did and getting dropped by them.
                    He struggled and got wobbled by a 147 euro bum

Comment

I'm pretty sure Sergio can out sing & dance GGG but in a fight GGG destroys him once Sergio stops running!

Golovkin has a better record also Sergio has only 9 bouts at 160 and other than winning over Pavlik he splits with Williams and gets beat up by Cotto a blown up welter! Don't forget the Macklin bout that he clearly lost in his home country.

He ran all night against Junior who couldn't box oranges on a table
                      in a brutally bad performance.

Sergio wanted no part of Golovkin and took on lil' Cotto and Junior instead. That should tell you who the better Middleweight was and is!

Sergio will never be in a conversation when talking about quality Middleweights. Right now GGG is a top twenty five Middleweight in my book.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X