No announcement yet.

Eminem Vs Big L

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by res View Post
    It's funny how back in the day being massively mainstream could actually hurt you, but now people think if you aren't mainstream you're not legit.
    No, nowadays if you're mainstream it's universally accepted that you're a lyrically uninspiring, autotuned douchebag who only makes club music.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      1.) Define 'plenty' in terms of popular music.

2.) You act like I've never heard Big L's material or something. I have and I still think that he's overrated because he's dead. Moreso because he's a hip hop artist who got shot - The most glorified of all deaths that a popular music artist can suffer, especially in hip hop.

Say what you want but getting shot in hip hop increases your popularity dramatically. Moreso if you lose your life to it.

L isn't popular music, he wasn't pop or trying to be pop. People who listened to street shi t back then, especially east coast knew L.

Going around saying that's he's overrated as hell and all the "hipsters" that listen to rap are overrating is fukin offensive to me in particular because he ain't nowhere near overrated. He has over 20 songs/verses that murk 95% of shi t out there to this day. and his shi t is timeless, like most DITC shi t imo. if any of these two is overrated IMO its em, but I'm not gonna go head and call him out cuz I understand why some people worship him.

I don't remember Freaky Tah or Jam Master Jay getting overrated after they got shot. C-Murder maybe a tad bit for a couple years, but nothing like the lasting impression L has had, CUZ L deserved it on the real, not cuz the "hipsters of hip hop" are overrating him.

I know this is already out there, but I'm putting it out there again.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
        G Rap is basically the godfather of all my favorite shi t, with a little Rakim mixed in.

Now there's an underrated rapper on the ATG lists. He's in my top 5.
        The thing with most rappers form the past is that they took their albums serious from track #1 to track #15-20. What may take a rapper of the 2000s 3-5 albums to be considered good/great, Big L did it with one album. This was the trend in the 90s, rappers were so serious that they actually put out entire quality albums, and it only took 1 album for them to really make their mark to see if they're great or mediocre. Not 2-3 songs for the TV, followed by 15 crappy songs for the album.

A normal Big L album can be seen as "The best of", when it was just a normal 90s album. This is true and it's not "I like 90s Hip Hop, that makes me know more than you, I win." This is so true that the quality of albums all around in the 90s were taken more serious than the 2000s albums. This is a clear and simple observation from some one who has about 100 hip hop albums[i'm serious], all from the 90s to 2007, and I mean real, hard copies, not downloaded.

This is why I laugh at the argument that "Big L only has 1-2 albums". LOL those "only 2 albums" are quality albums from top to bottom, so it's easy for him to stand out over many rappers and be considered one of the top 20-25 greats of hip hop. In this case, i'm not even downing Eminem, like I said before, I think Big L and Eminem have about the same amount of quality albums. I said the difference being Eminem kept going after those quality albums, with some real mediocre albums that really don't matter in the argument. The crap he put out after MM LP ain't even in the top 10 albums of the 2000s era.

Comment

L isn't popular music, he wasn't pop or trying to be pop. People who listened to street shi t back then, especially east coast knew L.

Going around saying that's he's overrated as hell and all the "hipsters" that listen to rap are overrating is fukin offensive to me in particular because he ain't nowhere near overrated. He has over 20 songs/verses that murk 95% of shi t out there to this day. and his shi t is timeless, like most DITC shi t imo. if any of these two is overrated IMO its em, but I'm not gonna go head and call him out cuz I understand why some people worship him.

I don't remember Freaky Tah or Jam Master Jay getting overrated after they got shot. C-Murder maybe a tad bit for a couple years, but nothing like the lasting impression L has had, CUZ L deserved it on the real, not cuz the "hipsters of hip hop" are overrating him.

I know this is already out there, but I'm putting it out there again.

Hip hop is popular music, Walt. Whether you want to say Big L wasn't because he wasn't popular in a mainstream sense is irrelevant, because the genre as a whole is arguably the most popular genre of music in the US right now.

It's pop. Period.

Comment

No, nowadays if you're mainstream it's universally accepted that you're a lyrically uninspiring, autotuned douchebag who only makes club music.
            If it were universally accepted you wouldn't be mainstream in the first place.

Anyway, I didn't say if you were mainstream most people thought you were dope, I said in order for most people to think you're dope you have to be mainstream. Two very different claims.

Comment

1.) Define 'plenty' in terms of popular music.

2.) You act like I've never heard Big L's material or something. I have and I still think that he's overrated because he's dead. Moreso because he's a hip hop artist who got shot - The most glorified of all deaths that a popular music artist can suffer, especially in hip hop.

Say what you want but getting shot in hip hop increases your popularity dramatically. Moreso if you lose your life to it.
              I think it's bizarre that some one loves Eminem's music, but thinks Big L is overrated.

They have strikingly similar rap styles, both of them having violently explosive flows. Both of them are known to depict detailed violent stories. I can't wrap my head around why some one would like Eminem, but think Big L is an overrated rapper who was dug up by hipsters. That's crazy.

And this is not about popularity, or how they gained popularity, or what happened to any of them. This is about who's more talented, who's better, not who who has more fans or who's known more. To me, they're pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                It's funny how back in the day being massively mainstream could actually hurt you, but now people think if you aren't mainstream you're not legit.
                Cuz its all about marketing and money and audience. Kim kardashians of the world love this music now.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy Ho View Post
                  can you link me to some battle **** you're speaking of? i want to add some to my phone.
                  I just had 4 vids set up and my connection in the house went to shi t. Going to liquor store then ill post

Comment

Hip hop is popular music, Walt. Whether you want to say Big L wasn't because he wasn't popular in a mainstream sense is irrelevant, because the genre as a whole is arguably the most popular genre of music in the US right now.

It's pop. Period.
                    So nothing about the rappers that werent overrated agter they were shot and killed?

L wasnt pop when he came out, but heads all over the country knew him. He was legit back then, and he was considered a prodigy. So he wasnt some sort of rapper that hipsters decided to deify that is unworthy of his status, which is my point.

Its not like L never toured, not like he never left harlem, you make it seem like no one ever heard of him and he got discovered by whoever a decade later.

Comment

So nothing about the rappers that werent overrated agter they were shot and killed?

L wasnt pop when he came out, but heads all over the country knew him. He was legit back then, and he was considered a prodigy. So he wasnt some sort of rapper that hipsters decided to deify that is unworthy of his status, which is my point.

Its not like L never toured, not like he never left harlem, you make it seem like no one ever heard of him and he got discovered by whoever a decade later.
                      For every rapper that you name that didn't get overrated for being shot, I can name one that did. Christ, the hype around 50 Cent was ridiculous enough to justify my point.

As for my previous comment about hipsters loving Big L - I can only comment on what I see. I work with a lot of artists, graphic and otherwise, and a ****load of hipsters in that community have taken an intrest in Big L in recent years.

I see it literally every day.

Regardless, the guy was good, but you won't change my opinion that he's overrated, just like I won't change your opinion that he's not.

Comment

Working...
                      X