Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people start saying Floyd is ducking the lineal MW champ you know he is great

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RapidFire26 View Post
    He just dominated a guy who outweighed him by 15+ pounds and is 11 years younger and has shown no obvious signs of major decline. I was fine with the Mosley fight at that time actually, but my main point is Martinez looks to be performing at a higher level now then Mosley was then since the Margarito win is hard to judge since he was likely cheating for at least a little while before the Mosley fight and the Mayorga performance was hardly impressive.

Even if you don't think Martinez is then it doesn't mean he has been performing poorly and is not worthy of a shot at all.

I definitely do think Martinez is more deserving than say Canelo who looks like he is being set up for a Mayweather fight.
    So you discredit Mosley for struggling with Mayorga before KO'ing him but fail to mention Martinez struggling with Barker and Macklin before knocking them out?

And you credit Martinez for stopping basically a greener, middleweight Margarito but look to discredit Mosley by saying Marg is a cheat. You do know Chavez has cheated in fights too yes?

Oh man

Comment

Originally posted by GoldSugar View Post
      So you discredit Mosley for struggling with Mayorga before KO'ing him but fail to mention Martinez struggling with Barker and Macklin before knocking them out?

And you credit Martinez for stopping basically a greener, middleweight Margarito but look to discredit Mosley by saying Marg is a cheat. You do know Chavez has cheated in fights too yes?

Oh man
      You realize I said the Mosley-Mayweather fight was fine right? It just would have been better if it did not take place over a year after the Margarito fight. I'm not trying to discredit Mosley, but his win over Margarito may have not been as impressive as you made it out to be. Margarito was likely only considered a P4P fighter because his cheating gave him wins he otherwise would not have had. Paul Williams beat him before Mosley did and very well could have caused him to cheat or beat him while cheating, so why you mentioned how Sergio's performances were not better at the time does not make much sense to me.

Shane used steroids himself, so...

I'd also point out that using plaster is worse than diuretics, which is still bad, but not criminal in the sense of beating someone with plastered gloves essentially is.

Barker and Macklin (more so Macklin) were fine opponents at the time and yes maybe Sergio struggled a bit too much for my liking, but they were not bums. Mayorga was not either, but he was clearly vulnerable to the KO against decent to good competition (meaning those beatings likely took something out of him by the time he faced Mosley) where as Barker had never been knocked out (never had fought good competition though) and Macklin had been knocked out only one time which was six years before the fight (had just started to pick up his competition before Martinez fight). We'll see if those wins look more solid as time goes on or were weak. I'll admit they were by no means great wins, but both look like they have some potential and were at least not past their prime.

Comment

You realize I said the Mosley-Mayweather fight was fine right? It just would have been better if it did not take place over a year after the Margarito fight. I'm not trying to discredit Mosley, but his win over Margarito may have not been as impressive as you made it out to be. Margarito was likely only considered a P4P fighter because his cheating gave him wins he otherwise would not have had. Paul Williams beat him before Mosley did and very well could have caused him to cheat or beat him while cheating, so why you mentioned how Sergio's performances were not better at the time does not make much sense to me.

Shane used steroids himself, so...

I'd also point out that using plaster is worse than diuretics, which is still bad, but not criminal in the sense of beating someone with plastered gloves essentially is.

Barker and Macklin (more so Macklin) were fine opponents at the time and yes
        maybe Sergio struggled a bit too much for my liking, but they were not bums. Mayorga was not either, but he was clearly vulnerable to the KO against decent to good competition (meaning those beatings likely took something out
        of him by the time he faced Mosley) where as Barker had never been knocked
        out (never had fought good competition though) and Macklin had been knocked out only one time which was six years before the fight (had just started to pick up his competition before Martinez fight). We'll see if those wins look more solid as time goes on or were weak. I'll admit they were by no means great wins, but both look like they have some potential and were at least not past their prime.
        When did I say they were bums? I'm just pointing out the double standards of your posts. Why aren't you mentioning mayweathers age, injuries and inactivity either? He must be getting worse by the minute with the age his layoffs and jail time.

Comment

I don't like or agree with your views Larry. Honestly you're full of ****, and just talking out of your ass. No offense.

Comment

When did I say they were bums? I'm just pointing out the double standards of your posts. Why aren't you mentioning mayweathers age, injuries and inactivity either? He must be getting worse by the minute with the age his layoffs and jail time.
            How is it a double standard? It would be a double standard if I said Mosley was an unworthy opponent at the time, which I never said. I just feel Martinez is a better opponent at the moment then Shane was in May 2010 after over a year of inactivity where he had beaten a guy who was undeniably highly ranked, but had been caught cheating before their fight. It was unlikely that was the first time he used plaster, so the win was not as meaningful as it otherwise would have been. It's not Shane's fault, but all of Margarito's recent wins during that time period had to be called into question. Margarito likely never would have been considered a top P4P fighter without cheating at that point in his career. Maybe, I'm wrong, but I don't believe so.

It also does not particularly matter to me if Martinez was more worthy than Mosley was at the time since I believe he is definitely more worthy than Canelo who looks like he is being set up for a bout with Floyd.

What about Mayweather's age? Yes, he is getting older, but so is Martinez. Martinez is already older as it is anyway. That is why a fight between them should happen sooner rather than later. Martinez is even willing to go below 154 if Floyd gives him time to try to lose the weight in a healthy manner. The ball is in Floyd's court.

I also have a tremendous amount of respect for Floyd's boxing skills, so I don't call into question how good of a fighter he is.
            Last edited by RapidFire26; 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

How is it a double standard? It would be a double standard if I said Mosley was an unworthy opponent at the time, which I never said. I just feel Martinez is a better opponent at the moment then Shane was in May 2010 after over a year of inactivity where he had beaten a guy who was undeniably highly ranked, but had been caught cheating before their fight. It was unlikely that was the first time he used plaster, so the win was not as meaningful as it otherwise would have been. It's not Shane's fault, but all of Margarito's recent wins during that time period had to be called into question. Margarito likely never would have been considered a top P4P fighter without cheating at that point in his career. Maybe, I'm wrong, but I don't believe so.

It also does not particularly matter to me if Martinez was more worthy than Mosley was at the time since I believe he is definitely more worthy than Canelo who looks like he is being set up for a bout with Floyd.

What about Mayweather's age? Yes, he is getting older, but so is Martinez. Martinez is already older as it is anyway. That is why a fight between them should happen sooner rather than later. Martinez is even willing to go below 154 if Floyd gives him time to try to lose the weight in a healthy manner. The ball is in Floyd's court.

I also have a tremendous amount of respect for Floyd's boxing skills, so I don't call into question how good of a fighter he is.
              How is the ball in Floyd's court when they are both tied up with fights and Martinez is still getting back from his surgery.

I guess wel'll have to see what excuses you come up with after Martinez comes back from a bad surgery, turns 39 and only has 1 fight in a year.

Comment

How is the ball in Floyd's court when they are both tied up with fights and Martinez is still getting back from his surgery.

I guess wel'll have to see what excuses you come up with after Martinez comes back from a bad surgery, turns 39 and only has 1 fight in a year.
                After they have their respective fights in April and May (assuming they both win) the ball is in Floyd's court. Do you believe Martinez would reject a fight with Floyd? Floyd gets him more money than Chavez does, so why would he reject that at his age?

He may have wanted to fight Floyd in May if not for the injury since that reduced the amount of time he could use to lose weight in a healthy manner. He may have also made his April fight because he also knew Mayweather was not going to choose him for his May return. The Argentine government also wanted him to fight there and I'm sure he wanted to have a fight there as well.

Comment

well if he ducked the welterweight champion he isnt going to fight the fcuking middleweight champ is he!!!!!!!!! viva ortiz!!!!!!

Comment

Very True. There are times when it becomes rediculous and its about now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                      well i agree with you on some points but you said he lost to several fighters, it was actually 2 that he lost to, and we cannot forget that these ar professional fighters losing is a part of it but ur not saying much wrong!

Cotto vs Floyd would have been a big fight prior to Cotto losing to Manny and Margarito the way he did. Also in the eyes of many, Cotto may have lost to Clottey as well. Its not just about losing 2 fights. Its the way he lost. After that, Floyd fighting Cotto was NOT the same. Even some Floyd fans admitted to that. Its not hard to comprehend.

The point is that the fight earlier this year was just a money fight for Floyd. Floyd himself said that Cotto may not be the same after those fights and brought up the near loss to Clottey.

Floyd knows how to pick fighters who generate the biggest money while taking less risk. He can do what he wants but the problem is when his fans try to say it isn't so.

Comment

Working...
                      X