Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do People Pretend That Wilder Wasn't Signed to Fight the #2 HW in The World.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    But why are you defending him? He had the opportunity to fight either Fury or Ortiz, the former was probably blowing smoke, and yet he chose an unknown. Wilder fights bums every year and before every right there are several press releases where we're told he is just warming up to fight one of the names. 3 years, not a single name.

How long are you going to hang your coat on this "well, he was going to fight Povetkin" crap?

edit: by you I dont necessarily mean you, I mean the people who have brought it up several times on this forum
    I don't believe that Ortiz is a realistic option on such short notice. I expect a better opponent when there is sufficient time to negotiate and properly promote the event.

If he takes another soft touch this year I will be with you guys criticizing him.

Comment

• Originally posted by original zero View Post
      Yammy -

But I'm not criticizing AJ. He's young, he just won his title, it was understandable to make a couple easier defenses before a big fight.

What I'm criticizing is the double standard utilized by the Wilder haters. It doesn't make any sense to say Wilder has a weak resume if he has the strongest resume of all the heavyweight champs. It just shows a blatant bias.

Wilder & AJ have been boxing around the same amount of time. The difference is that Wilder went pro very quickly, which is why he was worked up the rankings much slower than AJ.

But that doesn't change the fact that Wilder's best win (TBRB #3) is better than AJ's best win (TBRB #9).

There's no need to be a fan boy. I've got nothing against AJ. I'm rooting for him and Wilder to keep winning so they can unify. May the best man win.

Laced Up -

The facts don't support your premise. There's no disputing that Wilder has the best win of any current heavyweight champion.

There's no disputing he's the longest reigning champion.

There's no disputing his belt has the longest unbroken lineage.

If Wilder has the best win and his second best win is as good as the others' best win, then criticizing his resume is silly. You are silly. And a hater. A silly hater. Confirmed.
      Deontay went amateur two years before AJ in 2005, competed at the olympics in 08 and turned pro in late 08.

AJ went amateur in 07, but really did nothing until 2010. went to the olympics in '12, turned pro in early '13.

Worked up the rankings slower? he went from nothing to top 5 in one fight lol. But i dont really put credence in sanctioning bodies rankings theyre filthier than a 9 pound note.

Wilders best win came just over 6 years after he turned pro, Joshuas came 2 years after he turned pro. Im not here to compare the two im just stating that in a career that has spanned the length of time that wilders has, his calibre of opponent has been ****.

Bring up pedvetkin all you like, but a career from a fighter that goes 4/5 years without a decent ranking himself ,who then skyrockets to top 5 ranking, gets his best win to date over a sick " TBRB #idgaf" in a time period where HW was just pure wank and then to the current day hasnt fought anyone better.... is ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        I'm arguing with a dude that thinks fight deals between top fighters get done in one month. The Povetkin fight was scheduled for May 21st. So between June and July, Lacedup Promotions can go out, find a top heavyweight fighter, negotiate a deal, seal a TV date, determine purses, properly promote the fight for a date in August or September.

Thank god you aren't a promoter.
        This clown still doesn't get that the fight didn't have to happen in July.

Comment

I don't believe that Ortiz is a realistic option on such short notice. I expect a better opponent when there is sufficient time to negotiate and properly promote the event.

If he takes another soft touch this year I will be with you guys criticizing him.
          Why not? He had 5 weeks and was already in camp. Its not like an Ortiz fight is a mega ppv that the whole world is clambering for. Its a fight between a weak belt holder and a weak contender (I dont rate oriz much but he is better than the last 5 or so bums Wilder has fought).

WHy does that deserve a 5 month promotional tour? It just doesn't.

People act like Wilder wasj ust going to be dropped into the ring in Feb on short, 2 days notice like aj ourneyman. The guy wasi n camp, he had 5 weeks of training, the fight was neevr a mega event.

What Ortiz was, plain and simple, is Wilders best opponent in years and yet again, he turned it down.

Then we go round the merry go round of "well trust me, he'll fight someone top notch next time".

I feel bad for Wilder because as a fighter, I'm sure he wantst o fight better names, not just as a competitor but to make more money and be better known and respected. Hem ust look on at AJ and Wlad and Fury with envy. Right now, he has become the b name in his division.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            You act like that fight came together right away, it took weeks. It is not like the Povetkin fight fell apart and the next day they announced the Arreola fight. It was like 6 week notice tops and generally speaking for a major 12 round fight 8 week is a standard camp. Plus others would have plans already set up because normally bigger names are planning months ahead.

What the **** are you crying about? It is what it is a fight put together with haste against a guy that is relatively well known in the market. Not some big deal~
            So again, why did it have to happen in July? Why is there a rush to squeeze in a fight on such short notice when you can have a big fight in 3-4 months?

Someone please answer me.

Comment

• 2015 Ring-Magazine rankings:

Tyson Fury, Champion

1. Wladimir Klitschko
              2.Alexander Povetkin
              3.Deontay Wilder
              4.Kubrat Pulev
              5.Luis Ortiz
              6. Bermane Stiverne
              7.Vyacheslav Glazkov
              8.Bryant Jennings
              9. Ruslan Chagaev
              10.Anthony Joshua

Adding some perspective on the HW landscape specifically during the months of June through December of 2015 leading into early 2016, I decided to look for these phantom ducks people keep talking about lets see : Kubret Pulev been KO by Klitchko and spent 2015 taking tuneups - just recently he passed on Joshua about a year after he got slept. Around August Luis Ortiz had signed to fight Bermaine Stiverne in a WBC eliminator for the undercard of GGG-Lemuiex but the fight never materialized in addition another fight that fell through was vs. Ustinov for WBA interim belt ; he been having promotional issues with Golden-Boy as a result hes been fighting under Hearn's promotion lately so that two fights falling apart and wasted time but I'm sure Wilder is to be blamed. Vyacheslav Glazkov ( ranked top 5) took the path of least resistance in selecting Charles Martin for the IBF when Tyson Fury was stripped of the IBF in accepting a rematch with Wlad. Bryant Jennings was decisioned by Wladimir in April then KO later in the year by Luis Ortiz . Tyson Fury became mandatory for Wladimir and fellow Britt Anthony Joshua was also ranked by the WBC as hight as #2!!! but both men decided to head somewhere else for other titles but the cold truth comes from Eddie Hearn's own mouth in the video below, saying it was not the time!

So the options are becoming very narrow at this point you understand. A key factor to consider is the fact that Deontay re-fractured his hand in winning the WBC from Stiverne in January ; I think its only wise to test your injured hand in your first voluntary defense correct? knowing soon the WBC was to issue a Mandatory so we got Molina ( who incidentally went on to challenge for another world title! ) moreover we found out in May of that year ( 2015 ) that the mandatory was going to be the former WBA HW champion and current #2. at the time Alexander Povetkin over his win of Mike Perez in a WBC eliminator ( great news right? ). Wilder wanting to avoid ring-rust immediately took another good opponent just three months from the Molina fight to prepare for his biggest fight in order to gain experience ( Duahuapas later to reach top ten ) Moving on to Spilzka : Vyacheslav Glazkov was the original opponent leading into the Pedvetkin fight which means Wilder was set to fight TWO top five opponents back-to-back!

Keep in mind that you are scheduled to face the #2. HW in about six months but these fools would have you believe that despite all the conflicting factors during this time that Deontay Wilder would be fighting this elite mystery-man!!! yet Martin, Joshua or Tyson Fury were not even champions!!! and I didn't even touch on the rescheduling Pedvetkin requested and doping delays........but its all Deontays fault.
              Last edited by 1hourRun; 02-22-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                So again, why did it have to happen in July? Why is there a rush to squeeze in a fight on such short notice when you can have a big fight in 3-4 months?

Someone please answer me.
                I already told you he wanted to go ASAP, why is that desire some kind of issue for you? Fight anyone quickly then look for a better opponent after that with a real set-up. That is a logical plan, the only problem is he got hurt.

Comment

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Why not? He had 5 weeks and was already in camp. Its not like an Ortiz fight is a mega ppv that the whole world is clambering for. Its a fight between a weak belt holder and a weak contender (I dont rate oriz much but he is better than the last 5 or so bums Wilder has fought).

WHy does that deserve a 5 month promotional tour? It just doesn't.

People act like Wilder wasj ust going to be dropped into the ring in Feb on short, 2 days notice like aj ourneyman. The guy wasi n camp, he had 5 weeks of training, the fight was neevr a mega event.

What Ortiz was, plain and simple, is Wilders best opponent in years and yet again, he turned it down.

Then we go round the merry go round of "well trust me, he'll fight someone top notch next time".

I feel bad for Wilder because as a fighter, I'm sure he wantst o fight better names, not just as a competitor but to make more money and be better known and respected. Hem ust look on at AJ and Wlad and Fury with envy. Right now, he has become the b name in his division.
                  Who is Ortiz's promoter? Eddie Hearn? He's not going to fight for pennies. I believe both promoters would want this fight to be in front of a large audience and make money on the event.

Comment

Who is Ortiz's promoter? Eddie Hearn? He's not going to fight for pennies. I believe both promoters would want this fight to be in front of a large audience and make money on the event.
                    Also Ortiz during that Summer time frame was in his promotional limbo correct?

Comment

wth are you on about? who said the fight had to be for pennies?

Comment

Working...
                      X