David Price vs. Tony Thompson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Haye: "David Price has Klitschko qualities"

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/s...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS

British heavyweight David Price draws parallels with the division's megastars, the Klitschko brothers, according to compatriot David Haye.

Haye lost to Wladimir Klitschko in a world title unification fight in 2011 and is currently courting his older brother Vitali for a career swansong later in 2013.

While the 32-year-old Londoner has made it clear that he is not interested in fighting Price or fellow Brit Tyson Fury before he retires, he has offered his support to the former.

Price had a stellar 2012, winning all four of his bouts by knockout, and will be back in the ring on February 23 to fight American Tony Thompson in his home town of Liverpool.

But Haye believes it will not be long before the 29-year-old Price will be challenging for a world title, saying it could happen in the next two years.

"I sparred with David Price since he was an amateur... he's got all the tools that a Klitschko has," Haye told Sky Sports News.

"He ticks all the boxes. With the right guidance within the next two years he should be knocking on the door. I'll be long retired by then with my pipe and slippers."

Comment

Price has got a lot of natural gifts.

My main problem with him is his age.

at 29, he is behind the 8 ball in terms of career progression, and needs to step it up, FAST.

I was also concerned, no..DEEPLY concerned with how easily Skelton got inside and started clobbering him in the head, that was basically the blueprint for a harder puncher than Skelton to KO Price, EARLY.

However, Price says it was an off night, and who knows, it was short turnaround and an easy opponent, maybe he wasn't really up for it and just got caught sleepwalking?

so we will see.

If he can fix that problem he has potential to go all the way, if not, he might still pick up a belt, but greatness won't truly beckon.

I do like his personality, though, despite my knocks on him he's a class act, reminds me of the Klitschkos a lot, if they retire before he gets to the top, I'd like to see them manage him, I think it's a natural teaming.

Comment

I don't expect TT to be as motivated or prepared as in the Wlad's fight but regardless this should be a toughest challenge Price had so far.

I am expecting KO/TKO in the mid/later rounds for Price.

Comment

I meant to vote for Price by KO. Thompson is too slow, too old to beat the fresher younger and more powerful David Price.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikel 45 View Post
            ^ I wont be impressed. Needs to stop fighting no hops and old men.

I'm not saying a brother, but someone young. Put him in with wilder who has fought no one i know, but he is young, has power, and it would be a good test for both.
            I think you mean put Wilder in with Price.

And that's easier said than done, wilder avoids real opponents even more than price

Comment

Thompsons is going to get stopped.... dude doesn't want to box anymore

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                he's old but he's not that bad of an opponent he only fought wlad a while ago so it will be interesting to see how price compares
                exactly, a Wlad opponent.

Price is not too far off catching up with Wlad and Price is one of the slowest starters in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                  Wlad stopped 17 people who were never stopped before.

Chagaev, Thompson, Chambers, Shufford, Brock, Mercer, Bostice, Barrett, Shultz, Brewster, Wolfgamme, Shaheed, Vujecic, Castillo, etc.
                  Yeah all such juggernaughts. Chagaev who went the distance with a wet paper bag, Thompson who folded like a coffee table, chambers & Brock....game but small, and the rest of this gang that was faded by the time they fought. Brewster when he was on his game managed to stop a klit as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                    Thompsons is going to get stopped.... dude doesn't want to box anymore
                    Yup....making it academic whether Thompson could be effective. Dude hardly threw a punch against Klitschko...he seems out for the pay-o not the Kay-o

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                      I don't expect TT to be as motivated or prepared as in the Wlad's fight but regardless this should be a toughest challenge Price had so far.
                      less motivated? is that possible?
                      TT was a joke in that fight, never should have been in for a regional title, nevermind world.

Comment

Working...
                      X