Pernell Whitaker>Barney Ross

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    He's talking H2H tho, and i just feel like Sweet Pea has the edge there
    According to the OP he's talking overall.

Comment

I agree....

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        According to the OP he's talking overall.
        Ur right Dan, i just saw H2H and ran with it...........

My bad, still H2H i like Whittaker.

Ross has a better body of work behind him tho.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cuban Hawk View Post
          In my opinion Pernell Whitaker is greater than Barney Ross, it's close but Whitaker clearly for me.

More skilled. Beat hims in a H2H. Just overall a greater fighter.

Agree?
          Depends on the weight the fight is fought at. At Lightweight I like Pernell clearly, at Welter it's pretty damn close.

Poet

Comment

Ross did achieve alot. But lets look at Whitaker's accomplishments.

Pernell Whiataker was NEVER beaten in his prime. The decisions Ramirez & Chavez got against him were horrible gift decisions. Whitaker lost no more than around 4 rounds in both combined fights.

Going into the De La Hoya fight. Whitaker's true record was 42-0.

With wins wins over Roger Mayweather, Greg Haugen, Jose Luis Ramirez, Azumah Nelson, James McGirt, 87-0 Julio Cesar Chavez(I don't care thats a W), & 53-1 Julio Cesar Vasquez.

He was undisputied Lightweight Champion. He claread the division out & ruled it for 2 years.

He won a strap at 140lb. He then won the WBC Welterweight & near enough cleared the 147lb division out. Ruled the division for 4 years and made 8 defences of his WBC Title.

He then took out Julio Cesar Vasquez who had a 53-1 record. But that loss was by DQ, so techinaclly Vasquez's record was 54-0. Going into the fight Vasquez had made 10 defences of his crown and had dominated Winky Wright.

Whitaker moves up to 154lb and decision him over without much trouble. Amazing stuff, Whitaker still has the build of a 140lb'er.

Chavez was 87-0 and P4P #1. For 12 rounds Whitaker boxed his ears off and lost no more that 4 rounds. And I don't care what people say that is Whitaker W. I belive Don King had paid judges off.

Barney Ross is truely exceptional fighter. But Pernell Whitaker is that bit more exceptional for me. The man was never beaten in his prime and most of the time beats ATG fighters with ease.

I find his accomplishments, skills, more impressive aswell he defeats Ross in a H2H matchup.

Comment

Pernell Whiataker was NEVER beaten in his prime. The decisions Ramirez & Chavez got against him were horrible gift decisions. Whitaker lost no more than around 4 rounds in both combined fights.

With wins wins over Roger Mayweather, Greg Haugen, Jose Luis Ramirez, Azumah Nelson, James McGirt, 87-0 Julio Cesar Chavez(I don't care thats a W), & 53-1 Julio Cesar Vasquez.

He was undisputied Lightweight Champion. He claread the division out & ruled it for 2 years.

He won a strap at 140lb. He then won the WBC Welterweight & near enough cleared the 147lb division out. Ruled the division for 4 years and made 8 defences of his WBC Title.

He then took out Julio Cesar Vasquez who had a 53-1 record. But that loss was by DQ, so techinaclly Vasquez's record was 54-0. Going into the fight Vasquez had made 10 defences of his crown and had dominated Winky Wright.

Whitaker moves up to 154lb and decision him over without much trouble. Amazing stuff, Whitaker still has the build of a 140lb'er.

Chavez was 87-0 and P4P #1. For 12 rounds Whitaker boxed his ears off and lost no more that 4 rounds. And I don't care what people say that is Whitaker W. I belive Don King had paid judges off.

Barney Ross is truely exceptional fighter. But Pernell Whitaker is that bit more exceptional for me. The man was never beaten in his prime and most of the time beats ATG fighters with ease.

I find his accomplishments, skills, more impressive aswell he defeats Ross in a H2H matchup.
              Agree with all the red.

What ATG's did he beat with ease?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                Agree with all the red.

What ATG's did he beat with ease?
                Azumah Nelson & Julio Cesar Chavez.

Comment

Azumah Nelson & Julio Cesar Chavez.
                  Although I agree both are ATG's they are not the same caliber as McLarlin or Canzoneri.

Comment

I agree that Whitaker would beat him H2H. And Whitaker is a great fighter, great great fighter.

But I simply cannot see how his accomplishments are better than Barney Ross'.

Ross holds 4 wins over Top 25 ATG's. Just to start.

Amongst 3 other wins over HOF'ers.

Aswell as 3 Weight World Champion as THE Champion. And many wins over Top contenders.

I can't see how Whitakers resume compares to that.

Comment

In my opinion Pernell Whitaker is greater than Barney Ross, it's close but Whitaker clearly for me.

More skilled. Beat hims in a H2H. Just overall a greater fighter.

Agree?
                      Disagree.......... Barney would beat Pernell in a head to head fight at any weight, he is a different class of fighter to Whittakers opponents and so were about 5 of Barney's opponents, Canzoneri, Armstrong, McLarnin for a start.... Ross is a LEGITIMATE 3 weight champion, so Barney Ross is way in front on all-time great list..... Anymore questions ??

Comment

Working...
                      X