Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is hiit (high intensity interval training) good for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NJFighter91
    Are we talking about low intensity as in light walking without breaking a sweat or 3+ miles jogging?
    jogging is low intensity where as sprinting is high intensity. it has something to do with getting your heart rate up very high. i'm not sure of the percentages of it all, but basically, you can do low intensity work outs for a much longer time (such as jogging) than high intensity work outs (such as sprinting).

Comment

I can see the importance of HIIT in boxing training, and plan on implementing it in my own regiment starting this week, but there's something to be said for the time tested hour or more of jogging/running at a moderate pace a day as well.

Guys like Marciano and Jeffries, running 10-15 miles a day definitely had an edge in stamina and muscular endurance on the modern athletes who use HIIT IMO.

I'm going to use it for weight loss, in additiong to the uphill roadwork, but I can't imagine getting all of my aerobic conditioning out of a 5-20 minute session.

Comment

Yes, that's why a mix I think is best. HIIT gives you the stamina for the intense rounds and the longer roadwork gives you the stamina for the 10-15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
          I can see the importance of HIIT in boxing training, and plan on implementing it in my own regiment starting this week, but there's something to be said for the time tested hour or more of jogging/running at a moderate pace a day as well.

Guys like Marciano and Jeffries, running 10-15 miles a day definitely had an edge in stamina and muscular endurance on the modern athletes who use HIIT IMO.

I'm going to use it for weight loss, in additiong to the uphill roadwork, but I can't imagine getting all of my aerobic conditioning out of a 5-20 minute session.
          That's an ignorant statement. FIrst of all, Jeffries/Marciano didn't know what we know today. They had an edge because they trained like madmans compared to everyone else, and everyone else trained the same. You can't say Marciano/Jeffries had an edge when
          1) That is not fact.
          2) You were preaching before that you cannot compare fighters from different era's (I think that was you)..well the same applies to this concept.
          3) Fights were 15 rounds long. Of course you are going to need stamina that will last 15 rounds long. Amateur fights are 3 rounds long, and HIIT is the exact way to train for that. It's called training 'functionally'.

Comment

Nope, guys you missed a little post made by PunchDrunk. In that post he said the right thing when he said that the long low intensity runs are for building a base level of fitness. The reason I know this is because its also featured in UK Armed Forces training schedule. So dont get the wrong idea's about it. Dont be doing 10 mile runs at the same pace everyday, unless you are currently unfit. If you are already a fighter, at the weight you need to be or thereabouts, make sure you are doing Intense Interval training. Dont fool yourself into thinking that by doing low intensity jogs you will be able to last 12 rounds (amateurs is 3 anyway). You need to be doing high intensity interval training because it emulates the same requirements for in the ring. That is throwing a combination and then moving around the ring for example. Throwing the combination: high intensity. Moving around the ring: low intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles

First of all, Marciano & Co had to go a lot more rounds than anyone in here. The people in here are, as far as I know, all amateurs. That means 4 rounds of 2 minutes, not 12-15-20 rounds of 3 minutes. You don't do the same training for a 1500m run as you would for a marathon. An important thing to keep in mind!

Second, if you actually look at those matches, the intensity was no where near as high as it is today (highlight reels can be very deceptive). Yes, they sometimes went more rounds, but the pace was set accordingly.
              Okay, so the heavyweights of today are lumbering giants, who look big, slow and lazy. Keep in mind that Marciano would be a cruiserweight today, and Dempsey could probably fight at middle or light heavy, so those are the guys you should compare them to.

Comment

Even in amtuers you use a lot of your stamina. because you concentrating.

Its very hard to think when your tired and you gotta get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by eazy_mas
                  Even in amtuers you use a lot of your stamina. because you concentrating.

Its very hard to think when your tired and you gotta get used to it.
                  Sure. No one said the opposite. But running 10 miles will NOT get you ready for 4x2 minutes at breakneck pace. HIIT will.

Comment

can someone tell me how do you exactly do HIIT?? is it something like jogging at a very slow pace for a min or 2, then sprinting as fast you can & then slowing down again to a normal pace??

also by mixing it up, do you mean that 4x a week you should do your normal roadwork jogging routine and probably 2x a week HIIT??

Comment

A traditional HIIT is 1:2 work to rest. I used to do 2 minutes running and 1 minutes walking.

But there's a lot more variations like punchout drills on a heavybag or jump rope, some sprint 100m, walk it back and repeat.

I like to do the higher intensity cardio 3-4 times a week and some normal easier roadwork 1-2 a week.

Comment

Working...
                      X