No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Prichard Colon Still Stable, Condition Slowly Improving

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
    If his name were Al Hernandez your oily ass would be his biggest supporter.

Why would an embezzler use the money he pilfered to help somebody?

That's dumb.
    Public Relations. Notice this somehow turned into public knowledge. You stupid ass. That's a racist thing to say because if his last name was Hernandez he would have earned that Billion in the ring Boxing then turned around and put it back into the sport and he would own GBP instead of trying to steal from GBP. Typical welfare mentality for that watermelon sucking thief. You racist piece of crap.

Comment

That's one surname that translation does nothing for. Get well soon champ.

Comment

Several things bother me about the writing in this article.

First, it makes illogical conclusions based on the situation. How did his collapsing serve to "rubbish" suggestions that he was trying to get out of the fight? All that did was prove that he had a darned good reason for wanting to do just that.

Another ridiculous thing the article does is state unequivocally that fouls caused his brain bleed, as opposed to the comprehensive beating he was taking overall. Even a doctor could never say that with any confidence, let alone a below-average sports journalist.

Not only that, but it unfairly blames the referee (and Williams by implication) for Colon's circumstances, when if you watched the fight at the time, without bias, you would realize that Colon was the one breaking the rules more often than not. That obviously doesn't mean it wasn't tragic what happened to him, but to act like the wrongful actions of the ref and opposing fighter are responsible for his coma is to ignore the context of this individual fight itself, let alone boxing as a whole.

And for heaven's sake. Let's not pretend that what eventually happened proves the motivations of his corner at the end of the fight were purely innocent and mistaken, or even less likely- noble. I felt very strongly at the time, and I feel very strongly now, that they absolutely took his gloves off knowing full well that the fight hadn't just ended. They knew full-well that he could not have answered the bell for the final round, and were hoping to buy him time to do that if the ref let them get away with it. It was a crafty gamble given the information available at the time. There was obviously a risk of a DQ, but it's not like anyone thought Colon could have made it through another round after a 60-second break. It was a calculated risk, because at that point, they really had nothing to lose by breaking the rules. They weren't trying to save his health, either. They would have waved the fight off during the preceding round if they'd been trying to do that. I feel very strongly that they intended to send him back out there after buying him a 3-4 minute rest, hoping that he would at least avoid a stoppage loss, and possibly win a decision by robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcianoFan View Post
          Several things bother me about the writing in this article.

First, it makes illogical conclusions based on the situation. How did his collapsing serve to "rubbish" suggestions that he was trying to get out of the fight? All that did was prove that he had a darned good reason for wanting to do just that.

Another ridiculous thing the article does is state unequivocally that fouls caused his brain bleed, as opposed to the comprehensive beating he was taking overall. Even a doctor could never say that with any confidence, let alone a below-average sports journalist.

Not only that, but it unfairly blames the referee (and Williams by implication) for Colon's circumstances, when if you watched the fight at the time, without bias, you would realize that Colon was the one breaking the rules more often than not. That obviously doesn't mean it wasn't tragic what happened to him, but to act like the wrongful actions of the ref and opposing fighter are responsible for his coma is to ignore the context of this individual fight itself, let alone boxing as a whole.

And for heaven's sake. Let's not pretend that what eventually happened proves the motivations of his corner at the end of the fight were purely innocent and mistaken, or even less likely- noble. I felt very strongly at the time, and I feel very strongly now, that they absolutely took his gloves off knowing full well that the fight hadn't just ended. They knew full-well that he could not have answered the bell for the final round, and were hoping to buy him time to do that if the ref let them get away with it. It was a crafty gamble given the information available at the time. There was obviously a risk of a DQ, but it's not like anyone thought Colon could have made it through another round after a 60-second break. It was a calculated risk, because at that point, they really had nothing to lose by breaking the rules. They weren't trying to save his health, either. They would have waved the fight off during the preceding round if they'd been trying to do that. I feel very strongly that they intended to send him back out there after buying him a 3-4 minute rest, hoping that he would at least avoid a stoppage loss, and possibly win a decision by robbery.

There is a reason why any contact behind the head is illegal.
          Lets not play a fool and ignore the fact that Richard was hit time after time behind his head throughout the fight. It was a dirty fight but the ref ignoring the fouls behind the head was just crazy. Prichard was beating Terrell until the fouls behind his head started.

Comment

Originally posted by whitealltrac View Post
            There is a reason why any contact behind the head is illegal.
            Lets not play a fool and ignore the fact that Richard was hit time after time behind his head throughout the fight. It was a dirty fight but the ref ignoring the fouls behind the head was just crazy. Prichard was beating Terrell until the fouls behind his head started.
            At what point do you feel the fouls behind the head started? I had the fight scored even at the start of the 5th, though I guess you could reasonably have had Colon up at that point. My notes for the 7th say that that's when the PD for rabbit punching occurred, and I noted it at the time as a bad call because "it was a first offense, and was due to Colon turning his back while badly hurt." By the start of that round, you couldn't have had Colon up even if you gave him both of the close rounds. Maybe even.

I think the number and severity of the rabbit punches has been vastly inflated in the popular imagination due to hindsight. They certainly didn't strike me as abnormal or severe at the time. And to the extent they were severe, I don't think it was Williams' fault for the reasons stated above. If Joe Cooper is to be criticized for anything, I think it might be for not waving off the fight in the 7th when Colon started turning his back on punches, rather than for not disciplining Williams more.
            Last edited by MarcianoFan; 01-02-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X