Mirko Cro Cop doesn’t expect Fedor Emelianenko rematch to ever happen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirko Cro Cop doesn’t expect Fedor Emelianenko rematch to ever happen

Mirko Cro Cop faces Roy Nelson at Bellator 200. Rizin
    Few could have predicted back in 2005 when Mirko Filipovic and Fedor Emelianenko collided in the biggest heavyweight fight in MMA history that both men would still be going strong 13 years later, nonetheless still fighting under the same umbrella.

While each man has faced his fair share of false retirements in the years since their clash, the 43-year-old “Cro Cop” and 41-year-old Emelianenko have remarkably combined to win 14 of their last 15 fights. Both are also currently alive in Bellator’s Heavyweight Grand Prix, with Emelianenko readying for a semifinal matchup against Chael Sonnen and “Cro Cop” set to rematch Roy Nelson at Bellator 200 for the right to become the first alternate into the bracket — all of which means there is a conceivable scenario in which a long-discussed Emelianenko vs. Filipovic rematch could actually take place under the Bellator banner.

Such a matchup would be a nostalgic blast to the past for fight fans who remember the madness that surrounded their legendary first meeting at Pride Final Conflict 2005, which Emelianenko won via unanimous decision.

But more than a decade removed from that magical night at Saitama Super Arena, Filipovic thinks the time may have passed to write a second chapter in his rivalry with Emelianenko.

“People are asking me all the time about that, but I don’t think about that right now. And I don’t think that fight will happen,” Filipovic said Thursday on a Bellator 200 conference call.

“It’s hard to say. There is no — I don’t have some special desire to fight him anymore, like I had before. Never say never, but I don’t think that fight will ever happen.”

The fact that Emelianenko vs. Filipovic II is even a realistic topic of discussion is remarkable considering where Emelianenko was in his career as recently as last year.

The Russian legend struggled mightily against light heavyweight veteran Fabio Maldonado in 2016, then suffered a 74-second loss to Matt Mitrione in his Bellator debut one year later. Because of that, Emelianenko was effectively an afterthought when Bellator’s heavyweight tournament was first announced, however things changed at Bellator 198 when Emelianenko scored a thunderous 48-second knockout of former UFC champion Frank Mir.

The performance showed that Emelianenko may indeed still have some gas left in his tank — although “Cro Cop” isn’t ready to proclaim Emelianenko as back just yet.

“Well, it was a good fight. If he’s back or not, I don’t know,” Filipovic said. “It was too short. The fight was too short, but good for him.”

Filipovic’s own career revival is as equally extraordinary to Emelianenko’s, if not more so. “Cro Cop” has won eight consecutive fights via stoppage since 2014, knocking out the likes of Muhammed Lawal, Baruto Kaito, and old rival Gabriel Gonzaga during that undefeated run. His upcoming Bellator 200 debut against Nelson serves as a rematch of a 2011 fight that Filipovic lost via third-round stoppage, perpetuating the revenge tour theme that began with Filipovic’s victory over Gonzaga.

As his age creeps upwards, “Cro Cop” says his motivation for continuing to compete in such a volatile sport is simple.

“It makes me happy,” Filipovic said. “That’s the most simple answer I can give to you. It just makes me happy.

“Right now I’m enjoying what I’m doing. I’m a professional fighter and I enjoy fighting, and that’s it. There is no need for further philosophizing and some higher [point].

“I train everyday, I train around the world, I fight all around the world. The last fight I had was in Tokyo, the next one will be in London. So I feel great. It makes me happy.”

After unsuccessfully retiring numerous times, Filipovic indicated that he is done setting an end date for himself in MMA. He plans to complete as long as he feels able to, and each outing could conceivably be his last.

“It’s hard to say,” Filipovic said. “In this business, it’s hard to say. I said a few times already, ‘I’m done, I’m done,’ and at the end day, I always decided to extend my career.

“I will just do it as long as it makes me happy, and as long as my health allows me to keep fighting. So it can be one or two fights, it can be three, I don’t know.

“There are a lot of injuries in this sport, so you never know, especially at my age. I am 43, but I feel so good right now.”

Filipovic also noted that he holds no ill will towards Nelson for the defeat “Big Country” handed him back in the pair’s UFC days, meaning there will be no promise of vengeance when Filipovic and Nelson lock horns for a second time on May 25 in London, England.

“That’s not my style, promising anything,” Filipovic said. “I am in very good shape and I’m looking forward to the fight. Roy is a great guy, very tough fighter, great fighter, iron chin, and I will have to do my best to beat him.”

One of the biggest fights we never got to see. Sucks Cro Cop won the grand prix right before they sold it.

Fedor vs Cro Cop in 2007 was the greatest heavyweight fight we were robbed of.

Comment

I don't think Fedor wanted that fight. The first fight was great but Fedor took a lot of damage(he wasn't hit often but the hits that landed were hard) and if Cro Cop didn't slip and landed that kick one inch lower the fight would have been his.

I think Mirko actually improved quite a bit after their fight and would have been much tougher in a rematch. Honestly I would have favored him if they fought again before the end of Pride FC.

Comment

Feel the same way. Pride killed Cro Cop. I honestly believe he didn't take the UFC seriously. He thought he was gonna kill Gonzaga like Sanchez and he was never the same.

That would of been a 50/50 fight for sure. Would of been rooting for CC. Not sure if he would of won though

Comment

Originally posted by -2 Scrappy- View Post
          Feel the same way. Pride killed Cro Cop. I honestly believe he didn't take the UFC seriously. He thought he was gonna kill Gonzaga like Sanchez and he was never the same.

That would of been a 50/50 fight for sure. Would of been rooting for CC. Not sure if he would of won though
          I think the difference is this time he wouldn't take Cro Cop down and keep him there that much. That's the main part that won Fedor the fight and it even helped him outstrike Cro Cop standing as he got so worried about takedowns.

After that fight, Cro Cop's takedown defense got even better and his overall MMA game improved. Fedor would be forced to strike for the whole fight pretty much. He's no Mark Hunt, I think he would have been caught and finished at some point.

Comment

Cro cop still has something left and fedor is on his last legs, fedor should honestly hang it up , fighting cro cop would just be a quick retirement.

I remember being on this board when all those pryde guys struggled when they hit the octogon and he definarely was apart of that

Comment

Cro cop just pulled out

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
                Cro cop just pulled out
                He always drops the ball when he needs it most it appears.

Comment

Working...
                X