No announcement yet.

Anyone f#ck with Ancestry.com?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
    I used three so as to have three data points with which to compare. Since in the end they were all very close to one another, I felt comfortable with their results.

Genographic concentrates on "patterns of human migration". It's not a genealogy service.

23andme is a medically focused company, and uses the results to identify disease risk.

Ancestry is a genealogy testing service, and is building a huge data base of samples. It ties your results to their database and identifies other possible relatives. They linked me to possible relatives, and in fact they were my cousins who also used this service.

I'd recommend Ancestry above the others, unless you like maps (Geno) or are interested in potential medical issues (23andme).

Ancestry has recalculated my results several times by comparing to their expanding data base. They were incredibly accurate....spotting my ancestors back to the region in Italy from which all my known relatives came from...I've done my own research as far back as the late 18th century and they call came from the same region of Italy.

Hope this helps you.
    Is 23andme and Ancestry really all that different? You're making me want to take Ancestry now. I wonder what would be different from my results from 23andme.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Is 23andme and Ancestry really all that different? You're making me want to take Ancestry now. I wonder what would be different from my results from 23andme.

23andme concentrates on identifying medical issues that you may or may not be susceptible to having, because they sell this data to pharmaceutical companies...which they are totally up front about. They "examine markers that are associated with disease risk".

Ancestry "markers are optimized for inferring ancestry, rather than medical testing".

Also, Ancestry has a much larger sample data set.

So...if you're more interested in knowing where your ancestors came from than what possible medical issues you make have than Ancestry is the one to use. They also connect you with possible relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
        I did 23andme, but I think I might do ancestry as well. In 23andme pretty much people who share your DNA message you, or you message them to see how you guys might be related, also tells you your genetic diseases that you might be prone to inheriting.
        for real? thats actually pretty cool someone shares nearly the same dna as you and you didnt even know it

Comment

I read about a father and son that compared results and found out that they weren't related. The son's sister was listed as his half sibling and the parents got divorced as a result. I don't know if the story is true but it surely could be true.

Comment

Originally posted by SAINTSTEVE View Post
            I read about a father and son that compared results and found out that they weren't related. The son's sister was listed as his half sibling and the parents got divorced as a result. I don't know if the story is true but it surely could be true.
            Sh^t I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of stories like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
              23andme concentrates on identifying medical issues that you may or may not be susceptible to having, because they sell this data to pharmaceutical companies...which they are totally up front about. They "examine markers that are associated with disease risk".

Ancestry "markers are optimized for inferring ancestry, rather than medical testing".

Also, Ancestry has a much larger sample data set.

So...if you're more interested in knowing where your ancestors came from than what possible medical issues you make have than Ancestry is the one to use. They also connect you with possible relatives.
              23andme does all that.

I've seen on reddit people share multiple ancestry reports, some from both 23andme and ancestry and they get similar results from both.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                23andme does all that.

I've seen on reddit people share multiple ancestry reports, some from both 23andme and ancestry and they get similar results from both.
                They sent me a free test because they have very few submissions from people from my family's country of origin, but after they got acquired by GlaxoSmithKline I changed my mind about doing it.

Don't feel like giving them my DNA.

Comment

Working...
                X