Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but who has actually been in the ring before?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really many opportunities to box where I live, but I've still trained and sparred for the last 5 years tho. Hoping to move to the uk next year after uni and start an amatuer career there.

Comment

Does anyone regret not taking it as serious as they could have?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        I do in a sense...wish i had opportunities where i grew up to train at quality gym, by the time I moved to ATL i couldnt focus on it entirely...college, work, and living life

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          No.

I think it's cool in theory, but the life of a prize fighter is really tough. Even guys that are absolutely amazing athletes and dedicated their entire life to the sport hover around top15~ and never make much money or get any sort of gratification or appreciation.

And even for those that do make it they sacrifice 30+ years of their life and probably shorten their life expectancy by a decade.
          I also couldn't stand the bs politics and corruption of the sport. Just imagine what it must feel for Campillo after what should have been his biggest moment, only to have it stolen from you. He's robbed blind emotionally, financially and as an athlete.

It's a rough life for almost anyone trying.

Comment

i use to train with kevin cunningham a few years ago til i got a pinched nerve injury in my lower back. i remember it like it was yesterday, i was sparring and i slipped a left hook then i felt a shooting pain in my lower back, i ignored it and kept going then i slipped another hook and just felt my knees buckle and just fell on my side. literly i couldn't stand for 5 seconds without falling. i recovered maybe 90% but til this day even right now i still have pain in my lower back. i can still fight don't get wrong, you run up on me you gettin laid the f u c k out, left right goodnight! but as far as getting back in there, naw im good its not worth it
            Last edited by wylout; 06-03-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

was an amatuer. was a solid fighter but I missed the calling. legal troubles, now I do it cause I like it you know. I spar in the gym when I get a chance but I train almost everyday.

Comment

I have been in 3 smokers in the Marines. Won 2 and lost 1. I have taken Muay Thai in Phuket, Thailand for a couple of days. Did that 2x on my 3 vacations there. Taken also Brazilian jiu jitsu for 3 months. Stopped cuz too expensive. I also took karate classes for a couple of months as a kid.

I would like to train again, not necessarily boxing. Maybe muay thai, krav maga, Filipino martial arts, or karate.

Most people say they don't have regrets in my life. Well, i do. I was just shy growing up. Got even more shy when we moved here in the US. I wished i took a lot more training in martial arts, including boxing.
                Last edited by loui_ludwig; 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

My dad took me to a gym when I was 9 and I was hooked. Had 50+ amateur fights, then tore my ACL playing football when I was a senior in high school. Went to college and haven't boxed since. Now I'm a fat old man with a mortgage and mouths to feed.

Life's a *****.

Comment

Originally posted by M0NZ0N View Post
                    My dad took me to a gym when I was 9 and I was hooked. Had 50+ amateur fights, then tore my ACL playing football when I was a senior in high school. Went to college and haven't boxed since. Now I'm a fat old man with a mortgage and mouths to feed.

Life's a *****.
                    That sucks, at least you did it.
                    Last edited by loui_ludwig; 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M0NZ0N View Post

Life's a *****.
                      that she is lol....thats cool at least you had an opportunity to compete

Comment

Working...
                      X