No announcement yet.

Need help to split routine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
    Hitting everything only once is for bodybuilders on steroids. For a beginner/intermediate lifter you should work each muscle 2-3 times per week. An advanced lifter or someone older whose recovery time takes longer should be doing 3 way splits.

For you either do 3 full body workouts per week or an Upper/Lower split 4 times per week. Mon/Thur Upper, Tues/Fri Lower.
    I like the idea of upper/lower. Do u have any or help me create one? I dont have any idea, seriously

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTMT View Post
      I like the idea of upper/lower. Do u have any or help me create one? I dont have any idea, seriously
      It depends on what your experience level is with weights. How much/often have you ever lifted weights in the last 2 years?

Comment

Please let us know your age, weight, and body type (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph).

Comment

It depends on what your experience level is with weights. How much/often have you ever lifted weights in the last 2 years?
          Now I started lifting seriously. I did like 3 more months like a year ago but nothing special. Im 19, 1,80m and around 73kg

Comment

Now I started lifting seriously. I did like 3 more months like a year ago but nothing special. Im 19, 1,80m and around 73kg
            So it's safe to say you are close to a true beginner. Here is a split you should start:

Upper: All exercises are 3 sets 6-10 reps. First set 10, then 8, then 6. Increase weight. You should get close to failure on each set (within 1 rep)
            -Bench Press
            -Bent over Row
            -Seated Shoulder Press
            -Bicep Curl
            -Tricep Kickbacks or Tricep extension

Lower:
            -Front Squat
            -Leg extension
            -Deadlift
            -Leg Curl

This will provide you with muscle mass increase. You won't become muscle bound as long as you do a good stretching routine 2x per day. Eventually you will probably have to switch you're routine to be based more around athletics. This routine won't improve your boxing or athleticism but it will increase muscle mass.
            Last edited by Mr.MojoRisin'; 08-20-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THC View Post
              Please let us know your age, weight, and body type (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph).
              Body Types don't really exist. Anyone can build muscle. Guys who are slim just don't store that much fat. Anyone who lifts consistently for 3-6months WILL see results.

Comment

So it's safe to say you are close to a true beginner. Here is a split you should start:

Upper: All exercises are 3 sets 6-10 reps. First set 10, then 8, then 6. Increase weight. You should get close to failure on each set (within 1 rep)
                -Bench Press
                -Bent over Row
                -Seated Shoulder Press
                -Bicep Curl
                -Tricep Kickbacks or Tricep extension

Lower:
                -Front Squat
                -Leg extension
                -Deadlift
                -Leg Curl

On Leg extensions and Leg curls do high reps (15-20) and don't go too close to failure

This will provide you with muscle mass increase. You won't become muscle bound as long as you do a good stretching routine 2x per day. Eventually you will probably have to switch you're routine to be based more around athletics. This routine won't improve your boxing or athleticism but it will increase muscle mass.
                Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. So this will work for me right? 4 days per week. Mon/Thur Upper, Tues/Fri Lower.

Comment

Body Types don't really exist. Anyone can build muscle. Guys who are slim just don't store that much fat. Anyone who lifts consistently for 3-6months WILL see results.
                  Sure they exist. Anybody can gain muscle but certain body types do better with different training protocols.

If you foist a double split routine with a set/rep protocol equalling Arnold Schwartenegger during his Mr. Olympia prime days onto a person whose body is a hard gainer like Mick Jagger, this person is going straight to over-training hell and injuries.

It's also a myth that slim guys always have little body fat. They are LIGHTLY muscled but not necessary cut. They can be soft too.

Comment

palacboxing, I agree with your functional approach, especially the part about favoring compound joint exercises over isolated movements like leg extension, barbell curl, etc. For beginners, a full body routine over split schedules.

Comment

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. So this will work for me right? 4 days per week. Mon/Thur Upper, Tues/Fri Lower.
                      Yes, it will work. To gain strength add 5 lbs to front squats, rows and bench press, 10 to deadlifts. For the smaller muscle groups such as biceps, triceps, and delts the weight will progress slowly. As a rule of thumb if you can get all of the reps on each set then you should up the weight.

Listen to your body. If you feel a better workout with 8 reps for 3 sets then do it. But this routine is a general routine. It works for a lot and not for some. Just try it out for a month and then you will know. In order to get stronger you have to add weight. Linear progression is best for big lifts. Smaller isolation exercises take longer to progress.

Most important thing is to be consistent. Doing a sub par routine will render bigger gains than nothing at all. Keep up with the workouts and don't decide to quit a routine until after AT LEAST a month. Preferably 3 months. You will know though if it is working or not. Worry only about eating 500 calories above your maintenance and eating enough protein. Guys get fat when they eat more calories and too low protein. If you aren't gaining 2 lbs per month then you aren't eating enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X