No announcement yet.

sparring with bigger lads

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparring with bigger lads

i'm a small lad myself, about 5ft 5~ and a very small person. is it possible to gain benefits from sparring bigger opponents? the big people just push me about so i cant do much. i can barely hit there heads because they are to tall, so the main option is the body. even if i win on points by the jaband straight, they have the potential to knock me down/out quickly, so i spend a lot of my time defending rather than going on the offense. should i stick with the smaller guys? cause surely sparring bigger people with 5 weight divisions on me isn't benefitting me at all?

Sparring is just to get in work. Depending on your weight, being 5'5" I'm sure most of the people you will actually fight ARE going to be taller then you.

They need to understand that you are smaller then them and they should be pulling their punches and just working with you, and you working with them.

Comment

/

im 15 andim 6ft2 and i have just started sprring witht he bigge rolde rbeeter lads at my gym, height dosent bother me since im tall,

and since i am tall, and know how it feels , i would say i find it must dificulty when the smallr guys just go all it it, so throw lots of shot dosnt matter if you get hit on the way it once your in throw loads, it really pouts you off and can be hard to defend against, also try to keep you hands really glued to your face and chest its hard it makes it really hard for taller guys like myslef to hit you, once ur in throw really strong hooks your hardest shots, feint to the head the smack the **** ot that body, what you samller guys gotta do is deovlop loads of strenth and throw pucnh after punch and hook after hook and boy head and head body and really swarm us taller guys

Comment

/

yeah u will really benafit from sparring big lads especialy if their older and better you will learn quicker, however if their is people your size who are same boxing abiltiy then mix it up with them aswell

Comment

Nobody should be knocking you out in sparring.

George Foreman Said it the best.

If your the bigger guy, thats your advantage, stay big, and tall, use your jab.

If your the smaller guy, thats your advantage, stay low, out of reach, and work the inside.

Comment

mate seriously being small can be a good thing... smaller fighters ought to be naturally quicker (moving about less body mass/weight) fact (in some cases probably not, like if ur small and fat :P) but work on speed and defense AND intelligence - knowing how to penetrate ur oponents defense.

speed, intelligence and a good guard could be very effective for a small fighter, getting under his guard and hitting the body. So watch a load of fights on telly and learn from other fighters, how they manage to break defenses and work on the speed bag and other gym equipment that with enhance speed but dont abandon power still work at power so u can hopefully (dependin how u go about it) achieve the best of both worlds

so yeah, bigger fighters can be an advantage for workin on attributes. and i speak from experience, im small myself but my trainer has helped me use it to my advantage.

Comment

its like wat reedickyaluss said:

reedickyaluss
              If your the smaller guy, thats your advantage, stay low, out of reach, and work the inside.

Comment

in around 6ft 1, 180 pounds and at vale-tudo training im put up against 6 ft 4, 6 ft 5 guys who are around 220 to 250 pounds...

This just gives me more confidence and makes me train more harder... It dont really matter how big the other guy is just believe in yourself and if your good it wont really matter....

Comment

Originally posted by Oriachim View Post
                  i'm a small lad myself, about 5ft 5~ and a very small person. is it possible to gain benefits from sparring bigger opponents? the big people just push me about so i cant do much. i can barely hit there heads because they are to tall, so the main option is the body. even if i win on points by the jaband straight, they have the potential to knock me down/out quickly, so i spend a lot of my time defending rather than going on the offense. should i stick with the smaller guys? cause surely sparring bigger people with 5 weight divisions on me isn't benefitting me at all?

When I was fighting back in the day I used to spar with everyone I could. The smaller ones would make me move faster and the larger ones were alot slower than me so I helped them with their speed. I was a middleweight then and I sparred with bantemweights like Joltin Jeff Chandler to heavyweights like Jimmy Young. I learned alot from everyone I sparred with Pro and Amatuer alike

Comment

I've always been the taller guy so I know what its like to be on the opposite end of what your going through. I'm 6 foot 7 inches about 235lbs. and I train at an all italian gym so all the dudes are way shorter than me and they are all looking to beat up the tall american. I put a post up the other day about the same thing and everyone told me that its good to sparr outside of your weight class cause the smaller guys have more speed. but they also told me to hold back from hitting the smaller guy so hard. My problem with that is that I sparr with dudes who are trying to knock my head off. So the other friday during a sparring session I hit this dude with a sold straight right as he was coming in and it sent him out the ropes. Knocking a guy out is something I should be happy about but when your 6 foot 7 inches and fighting a smaller guy, the knock out feels like I was picking on someone... But I'm not going to be 6 foot 7 spread out on the canvas cause I took it easy on the little over aggresive italian. I spar with my opponent the way he spars with me. if he is fighting with me as hard as he can then I do the same. basicly dont go out there fighting the bigger, taller guys as hard as you can... they might just try to hurt you.

Comment

Working...
                    X