No announcement yet.

Big John Tate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
    From a pure boxing standpoint, yeah, I'm saying that.
    Would anyone agree with you? Seriously doubt it. You do realize every boxing historian has Holmes in their top 5 heavyweights (most top 3) and almost no one has either Dokes or Page in their top 50?

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
      Would anyone agree with you? Seriously doubt it. You do realize every boxing historian has Holmes in their top 5 heavyweights (most top 3) and almost no one has either Dokes or Page in their top 50?
      No, and that's cool. Larry is great, no doubt, and he is top 5. Outside of not unifying the title, and not fighting Page and Thomas, don't hold anything against him. And one of those is not truly his fault. But what he brought to the table as far as tools, he did not have the ability of Page and Dokes, especially Page.

Comment

No, and that's cool. Larry is great, no doubt, and he is top 5. Outside of not unifying the title, and not fighting Page and Thomas, don't hold anything against him. And one of those is not truly his fault. But what he brought to the table as far as tools, he did not have the ability of Page and Dokes, especially Page.
        Totally disagree, Holmes had more talent than Thomas, Page and Dokes combined.

Comment

Totally disagree, Holmes had more talent than Thomas, Page and Dokes combined.
          Don't see it that way. Page was special, just didn't have the heart for boxing, and suffered because of it. And because of that, Larry got off easy. Thomas, yeah, he had more talent, but in the 84-85 period, he would have beaten Larry, not Michael Spinks, had he fought him first. Dokes was special, not like Page, but close, and he would've beaten Larry down the line had his drug habits hadn't really kicked in. All those years of sparring with Muhammad Ali helped Larry, but he didn't have the talent that two of those youngbloods had.

Comment

Don't see it that way. Page was special, just didn't have the heart for boxing, and suffered because of it. And because of that, Larry got off easy. Thomas, yeah, he had more talent, but in the 84-85 period, he would have beaten Larry, not Michael Spinks, had he fought him first. Dokes was special, not like Page, but close, and he would've beaten Larry down the line had his drug habits hadn't really kicked in. All those years of sparring with Muhammad Ali helped Larry, but he didn't have the talent that two of those youngbloods had.

Michael Dokes had some blazing speed and an awesome body attack. It's too bad the drugs grasped his soul as early as they did. He could have been an ATG IMO. He was never the same after the Coetzee fight. I agree, a prime and focused Dokes could have beaten the Easton Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with former WBA Heavyweight Champion, Big John Tate. He, along with Frankie Randall, made up the most successful fighters to be competing out of my neck of the woods, at least in my lifetime.

Most people remember Tate for dominating Mike Weaver in his first title defense before getting crushed by a brutal left hook right to the jaw, in the last minute of the 15th round no less, thus ending his brief title reign. However, most people seem to forget his absolutely awesome and historical title win. He, as an African-American fighter, went into apartheid era-South Africa and defeated Gerrie Coetzee for the title. This was such a huge occasion for the country of South Africa that they allowed blacks and whites to sit together. Anyways, I ran across this article about their fight. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Link To Article About Tate vs.
              Weaver

Tate Defeats Coetzee For WBA Title

I literally only know of this guy because of the two comedic kos.

Weaver and berbick beating him around the ring.
              The way he is down is hilarious in both

Comment

I think he shouldn't have rushed into the Berbick fight so soon. It had to be devastating, way ahead on the scorecards, in your hometown, and get cold****ed like that.

Comment

Wow, I don't know what to say except I could agree with you and we could both be wrong. I stand by my post, Larry Holmes was a more talented fighter than Dokes, Thomas and Page put together. Proof is in the pudding.

Comment

Wow, I don't know what to say except I could agree with you and we could both be wrong. I stand by my post, Larry Holmes was a more talented fighter than Dokes, Thomas and Page put together. Proof is in the pudding.
                    Believe me when I say I understand where you are coming from. We just see it from different angles.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                      Michael Dokes had some blazing speed and an awesome body attack. It's too bad the drugs grasped his soul as early as they did. He could have been an ATG IMO. He was never the same after the Coetzee fight. I agree, a prime and focused Dokes could have beaten the Easton Assassin.
                      Especially after 1983, maybe more so than Witherspoon.

Comment

Working...
                      X