No announcement yet.

St. Louis cop acquitted in police shooting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis cop acquitted in police shooting

"ST. LOUIS (Reuters) - A Missouri judge on Friday ruled a white former St. Louis police officer was not guilty of murder in the 2011 shooting of a black man, sending hundreds of protesters to the city's streets to voice their anger.

With the National Guard on standby in case of violence, authorities appealed to protesters to march peacefully in a state that has seen racially charged clashes in the past.

Jason Stockley, 36, was acquitted of first-degree murder for killing Anthony Lamar Smith, 24. The former policeman, who was arrested in May 2016, was accused of planting a gun in Smith's car but testified he acted in self-defense.

After the verdict, more than 500 protesters marched in downtown St. Louis, chanting "No justice, no peace" and "Shut it down." Some held "Black Lives Matter" signs.

"I’m sad, I’m hurt, I’m mad,” the Reverend Clinton Stancil of the Wayman AME Church in St. Louis said by telephone. “We haven’t made any progress since Ferguson, that’s clear. Cops can still kill us with impunity."

St. Louis Police said on Twitter that one person was taken into custody after damaging a police vehicle.

Mayor Lyda Krewson and Governor Eric Greitens, who put the National Guard on standby, appealed for calm. Local schools planned early dismissals and businesses shut down.

"Frustration, anger, hurt, pain, hope and love all intermingle," Krewson said in a statement. "I encourage St. Louisans to show each other compassion."

The attorney for Smith's fiancee, Christina Wilson, said his client was appalled by the decision. Al Watkins said the ruling showed prejudice, pointing to a line where the judge wrote that an "urban heroin dealer" without a weapon would be an anomaly.

Judge Timothy Wilson's highly anticipated ruling was announced more than five weeks after the bench trial ended."

Source, full story:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/missouri-...100419885.html

That doesn't seem like a shocking result based upon the lack of anything to work on with the video for this shooting.

Can't tell if it was justified or not with what we see. And sh^t its more reasonable to think a guy running from the police in this sorta crazy crashing chase would pull a gun on a mfer than a police would shoot him out of spite despite him allegedly saying he was gonna kill him during the chase which idk that that means anything cuz people randomly say crazy sh^t when heated about things in regular life like its nothing.

I mean if you could see anything maybe this was highly f#cked up, but who's to say anything with this sorta footage. I'm surprised they didn't try to go with a lesser charge than 1st degree murder with what the video shows.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2111 View Post
        You mean like Smurfs?

I'm not sure I've ever seen blue life.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
          You mean like Smurfs?

I'm not sure I've ever seen blue life.

Comment

He was a danger to the public and was using his vehicle as a weapon....... If the guy was innocent he really wasn't trying to stay alive...

Comment

He was doing his job who cares about the thug

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2111 View Post
                Looks like a blue uniform.

Comment

Yes.

Because they wear blue, hence the slogan "blue lives matter".

Comment

Yeah...Cause pilots lives matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X