No announcement yet.

Sergey doesn't keep his gloves up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergey doesn't keep his gloves up

O.k., so, I'm watching the first KD sequence right now and Sergey had his left arm fully extended down when Alvarez was gearing up for that overhand right and by the time the punch was on its way, Kovalev was only able to get his glove half way up his body.

The 2nd KD, Sergey was throwing his own overhand right and he was completely open right down the middle for Alvarez's right hand but Alvarez missed the initial one and after Sergey threw his shot, he didn't bring his glove back in position and Alvarez landed the left hook with a follow-up straight right.

The final sequence, it was just an around the ear right hook and it was over. I'm actually surprised Kov. got up from the 2nd KD because he really got walloped.

I don't think Kov lost because he was tired--I think he lost because he simply didn't have his gloves in good position after he was throwing his own shots. Because of how he fights, I don't know how much something like this can be corrected. It's not that he has a bad chin, it's just that he has this particular defensive flaw. It's not so much how fast you can punch but it's how quickly you can bring your gloves back into a defensive position after you punch.

It's got to be one or the other--you either move your gloves back to your head or you have to move your feet and adjust your body to avoid the counter shots. Sergey fights so long and tall and he doesn't move much at all when he's standing right in front of you letting off shots so he's kind of in the same position during exchanges. At the end of the day, you have to give Alvarez credit for finding those holes in order for him to land those counter shots.

Kovalev went back into fight mode after the first knockdown, instead of going into survival mode and clinch to wait out the round, get the break and recompose. Had he done that, maybe the outcome would have been totally different because that first knockdown was not so bad. But instead, he traded with Alvarez and got dropped again. That second knockdown really was what finished it. Great victory for Alvarez.

Comment

Fighters with little defensive skill don't impress me. They almost always end up getting their block knocked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
        Kovalev went back into fight mode after the first knockdown, instead of going into survival mode and clinch to wait out the round, get the break and recompose. Had he done that, maybe the outcome would have been totally different because that first knockdown was not so bad. But instead, he traded with Alvarez and got dropped again. That second knockdown really was what finished it. Great victory for Alvarez.
        Completely agree with you. And he was getting drilled in between the first and 2nd KD as well. He should've just kept his gloves up, moved and jabbed and survived the round and then regroup in the corner. He was really taking it to Alvarez in the 4th round and I thought he was fighting well. I guess you just have to give Alvarez props to finding the holes. I just am not sure this is something that can be corrected and I can see Sergey getting knocked out again by Alvarez in a rematch.

Comment

Jdj fault doe

Comment

Originally posted by 5burowz View Post
            O.k., so, I'm watching the first KD sequence right now and Sergey had his left arm fully extended down when Alvarez was gearing up for that overhand right and by the time the punch was on its way, Kovalev was only able to get his glove half way up his body.

The 2nd KD, Sergey was throwing his own overhand right and he was completely open right down the middle for Alvarez's right hand but Alvarez missed the initial one and after Sergey threw his shot, he didn't bring his glove back in position and Alvarez landed the left hook with a follow-up straight right.

The final sequence, it was just an around the ear right hook and it was over. I'm actually surprised Kov. got up from the 2nd KD because he really got walloped.

I don't think Kov lost because he was tired--I think he lost because he simply didn't have his gloves in good position after he was throwing his own shots. Because of how he fights, I don't know how much something like this can be corrected. It's not that he has a bad chin, it's just that he has this particular defensive flaw. It's not so much how fast you can punch but it's how quickly you can bring your gloves back into a defensive position after you punch.

It's got to be one or the other--you either move your gloves back to your head or you have to move your feet and adjust your body to avoid the counter shots. Sergey fights so long and tall and he doesn't move much at all when he's standing right in front of you letting off shots so he's kind of in the same position during exchanges. At the end of the day, you have to give Alvarez credit for finding those holes in order for him to land those counter shots.
            I said this before the first ward fight The krusher drinks too much VODKA he was lucky it was not Bivol

Comment

He's not fast enough to fight with his hands down..

Comment

Working...
              X