Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro And Amateur Boxing 60 Years From Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    They have graphs of the public's attention span. It is amazingly short and falls off steeply. These days there is a replacement event nearly every day. There is so much to be indignant about that nothing generates interest for long.
    Yeah, that's true...

You really think if a guy gets ****ed up really bad and the other guy comes up dirty It won't be one of the biggest scandals the sport has ever seen???

(if it's in a big fight)

I'll give a hypothetical example:

Imagine If Manny had ruthlessly beat up Mayweather in a manner comparable to Duran/Moore then ended it like the Hatton fight. And this ended up badly injuring or even killing Mayweather. Then Manny tests dirty for peds....

What do you think would happened next??
    I'll admit I'm not sure myself.....

Comment

They use to teach boxing in high school gym classes now they don't (haven't since the mid sixties) - In 20 years there will be no (public) high school football either. Contact football will exist in the parochial schools only. - Within the span of the next three Summer Games there will be serious talk about removing boxing, by the fifth there will be no amateur boxing in the Olympics.

Hope I am wrong, but don't think I am.

Comment

I do not believe it has to go all one way. There may be some backtracking toward brutality along the way to banning. Psychologists may determine we need our blood sports to be a healthy society of obedient consumers.

Comment

Yeah, and if there's money to be made, the corporate masters will find a way to keep it around.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Yeah or maybe replace boxers with robots, like in Richard Matheson's short story Steel, which he adapted for an original Twilight Zone episode and was later made into the movie Real Steel.
            The robot idea is fun obviously, but I think having robots destroying robots is a -EV activity & would probably be expensive to maintain.

Sh^t man someone might get killed in the front row when a robot head comes flying off lol. Robot Promoter Bob Arum isn't gonna wanna deal with that type of bs when you can just have to guys laying in a big tin can looking thing & fighting virtually with no one getting hurt.

Plus robots would likely lack emotion making them less interesting characters to follow (although maybe with AI technology less so). I mean look at things now. A lot of how popular guys get is their persona as much if not more than their talent in the ring. Less people should be paying attention to Broner, but his persona makes him more popular than his talent has done for him.

Comment

Well, the programmers' and owners' personalities could still sell the fight, like Hugh Jackman in the movie and the people who designed that big final opponent. And they could always cover the first few rows or put up big barriers, like they do for hockey games of Gallagher shows.

Comment

OK somebody brought up Real Steel so this old man has to pull Lee Marvin and the Twilight Zone out his ass. - The TZ episode Steel is better than Real Steel because Real Steel is the cliche 'big fight picture' that has been made a dozen times before (just with robots this time).

Real Steel is 'Rocky' made for the special effects comic book crowd; but Steel is about Man's survival and his place in a world being dominated by technology.

Real Steel is about humanizing the robot/beast; everybody has done that, e.g. AI, Pinocchio, King Kong, Etc. -- Steel is about the dehumanization of Man.

Sorry I just needed to complain; it's an 'old' thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                  OK somebody brought up Real Steel so this old man has to pull Lee Marvin and the Twilight Zone out his ass. - The TZ episode Steel is better than Real Steel because Real Steel is the cliche 'big fight picture' that has been made a dozen times before (just with robots this time).

Real Steel is 'Rocky' made for the special effects comic book crowd; but Steel is about Man's survival and his place in a world being dominated by technology.

Real Steel is about humanizing the robot/beast; everybody has done that, e.g. AI, Pinocchio, King Kong, Etc. -- Steel is about the dehumanization of Man.

Sorry I just needed to complain; it's an 'old' thing.
                  It's okay, totally understand. I like the episode better too. But still thought the movie was good, since I also thought the Man's survival was brought up somewhat in the movie, since this washed up fighter had a new opportunity as a boxing trainer for the robot. There's even a scene where it malfunctions so he has to use his boxing training to get the robot to mimic his moves when wired to him. Also liked the love story and the father reconnecting with his son.

Comment

Working...
                  X