Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left handed, but really sloppy as a southpaw (so far) should i switch stances?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left handed, but really sloppy as a southpaw (so far) should i switch stances?

Hi everyone i'm new to the forum and just started boxing this week, i have been a huge boxing fan for quite some time now and now that i'm done with football i decide to take up boxing lessons. Since i'm left handed in almost everything i do i decided that i would fight in a southpaw stance but my coach says i look alot more sharp in an orthodox stance, i hear alot of people say its bad to do this because you would essentially become a one armed fighter since your weaker hand is it the backside but my straight right is actually pretty sharp not as powerful but it looks alot more clean than my straight left according to my coach. Should i just continue to work the basics or go to orthodox i know being a southpaw can be an advantage because alot of conventional fighters aren't experienced with southpaw fighters so that could be an advantage depending on the fighter but like i said i'm very sharp in an orthodox stance, things feel more clean/sharp i guess. If you could give advice/opinions i would appreciate that alot thanks!

Originally posted by spanishboxeo View Post
    Hi everyone i'm new to the forum and just started boxing this week, i have been a huge boxing fan for quite some time now and now that i'm done with football i decide to take up boxing lessons. Since i'm left handed in almost everything i do i decided that i would fight in a southpaw stance but my coach says i look alot more sharp in an orthodox stance, i hear alot of people say its bad to do this because you would essentially become a one armed fighter since your weaker hand is it the backside but my straight right is actually pretty sharp not as powerful but it looks alot more clean than my straight left according to my coach. Should i just continue to work the basics or go to orthodox i know being a southpaw can be an advantage because alot of conventional fighters aren't experienced with southpaw fighters so that could be an advantage depending on the fighter but like i said i'm very sharp in an orthodox stance, things feel more clean/sharp i guess. If you could give advice/opinions i would appreciate that alot thanks!

NO!

Stick to southpaw, its well worth the extra effort and slower progress to keep the southpaw advantage.

If your coach tells you to switch, he doesn't care about you being successful it means he just wants to make his life easier, and it will be if he can convince you to go orthodox. Don't be a weak character!

Also since you are a natural lefty there will be a tendency to muscle it because that's what uve always done with the left side. Try and give up on power/showing off how hard you punch, and get the technique right, like you did with your right. If you focus on technique and not trying to hit hard, you will hit alot harder because what we naturally have learnt when it comes to exerting power, is far far inferior to the boxing technique when its done well. Expect your punching power to go down before it can go up and when it goes up it will be way harder than anything you thought possible.
    Last edited by AlexKid; 01-29-2015, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
      NO!

Stick to southpaw, its well worth the extra effort and slower progress to keep the southpaw advantage.

If your coach tells you to switch, he doesn't care about you being successful it means he just wants to make his life easier, and it will be if he can convince you to go orthodox. Don't be a weak character!

Also since you are a natural lefty there will be a tendency to muscle it because that's what uve always done with the left side. Try and give up on power/showing off how hard you punch, and get the technique right, like you did with your right. If you focus on technique and not trying to hit hard, you will hit alot harder because what we naturally have learnt when it comes to exerting power, is far far inferior to the boxing technique when its done well. Expect your punching power to go down before it can go up and when it goes up it will be way harder than anything you thought possible.
      Thanks, i have 2 coaches my head coach told me to go southpaw but my assistant coach said i look more sharp as an orthodox but il see how it goes for now.

Comment

i would suggest you go by your dominant leg.
        so face someone, and have someone push u backwards.
        whichever foot u lift up and move back, is ur dominant leg.
        so stay in that stance, dominant leg back.
        tada done. natural

Comment

Tbh I would just use the usual idea of using the stance that's allocated to the hand you write with. I am left handed and I'd course was sloppy when I started but now I am pretty sharp. Alexkid's advice isn't the best tbh. Wait until you've trained some more then discuss it with your trainer. If you're a beginner and you're already arguing with your trainer like alexkid suggests then things aren't going to run smoothly. If you're right handed go orthodox and vice versa for southpaw. And all that stuff about being a one armed fighter isn't true. After training for a while you can develop the technique to give you power in both hands.

Comment

Working...
          X