Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chelsea are an awful club, was a nothing team until the Russian bought you out, honestly some of the worst fans in the country. there could be less than a thousand away supporters at stamford bridge and they make more noise than the home fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlac View Post
      chelsea are an awful club, was a nothing team until the Russian bought you out, honestly some of the worst fans in the country. there could be less than a thousand away supporters at stamford bridge and they make more noise than the home fans.
      Lol.....

This is another reason to support Chelsea if you were scratching around for a team to follow. This sort of response is generated by supporters of all other clubs in England.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
        The country is officially loopy with World Cup fever. I work in social media and this week has been unprecedented, nothing else matters.

Not quite old enough to remember Euro 96 really, but this is the most swept up I've since England get over footy in my lifetime. The way the oldies talk about Italia 90 and Gazza, it feel like this is our generation's version of that.

Even if we go out tomorrow, I've had more of a laugh and more ***** to talk about with my mates and more big moments to celebrate than any other tournament. If you'd have offered me that 4 weeks ago I'd have snapped your hand off.

But If we actually BEAT Sweden tomorrow and move to the semis.....

I feel pissed already just thinking about it.
        Exactly the same for me. Euro '96 was always seen as a great summer for England too, especially with it being hosted here too but i was a bit young to really understand what it was all about.

Even though we have reached quarter finals before in world cups that i've watched, it never really felt like it does now. I'm not sure what that's down too. Maybe it's party down to social media making the topic and hype relentless 24/7. I think it's partly down to the team though, i think the manager and team are likeable. No daft WAG's in tow, no big ego's and players there not on merit etc. etc. Your average man on the street could never really feel any connection to that i think. It almost become more about celebrity culture than football for a time.

I think after the last couple of tournaments that have been awful, it's been great to see a bunch of young players on the pitch that don't look defeated before we have barely kicked a ball. Different mentality. We haven't been spectacular and we've had drama, but the games in general haven't been as bleak and painful to watch as it had been for a good while.

All i ever wanted to see was us give it a real go and if you're not good enough, so be it.
        Last edited by TheBigLug; 07-06-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
          Lol.....

This is another reason to support Chelsea if you were scratching around for a team to follow. This sort of response is generated by supporters of all other clubs in England.
          Its true though, and any new football supporter shouldnt be following a club with barely any history that has been given endless money to spend and suddenly become relevant, same goes with man city, it's ruining football imo, Spurs are the blueprint of a real club, homegrown talent, give the young local talent chances and even though we have a billionaire owner, our chairmen refuses to let us spend more than we take in.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
            I just saw Mpappe had a Ronaldo poster (he was at Madrid) in his room when he was younger.. I am starting to feel old as **** now
            I can relate to this.

As a Forest fan, i wasn't around during our European heydey, but in my lifetime, i've watched them win the League Cup at the old Wembley twice, FA Cup finalists, finish 3rd in the Prem, and watch them face a Klinsmann lead Bayern Munich in the European cup with the Pearce/Collymore era.

Compare this to my brother who is 20. He has never seen us play in the Prem. Our only trophy since he was born is winning League freaking One (3rd tier).

Comment

• Originally posted by mlac View Post
              Its true though, and any new football supporter shouldnt be following a club with barely any history that has been given endless money to spend and suddenly become relevant, same goes with man city, it's ruining football imo, Spurs are the blueprint of a real club, homegrown talent, give the young local talent chances and even though we have a billionaire owner, our chairmen refuses to let us spend more than we take in.
              I could tear this post apart

But it’s coming home innit.

Not bothered

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                Exactly the same for me. Euro '96 was always seen as a great summer for England too, especially with it being hosted here too but i was a bit young to really understand what it was all about.

Even though we have reached quarter finals before in world cups that i've watched, it never really felt like it does now. I'm not sure what that's down too. Maybe it's party down to social media making the topic and hype relentless 24/7. I think it's partly down to the team though, i think the manager and team are likeable. No daft WAG's in tow, no big ego's and players there not on merit etc. etc. Your average man on the street could never really feel any connection to that i think. It almost become more about celebrity culture than football for a time.

I think after the last couple of tournaments that have been awful, it's been great to see a bunch of young players on the pitch that don't look defeated before we have barely kicked a ball. Different mentality. We haven't been spectacular and we've had drama, but the games in general haven't been as bleak and painful to watch as it had been for a good while.

All i ever wanted to see was us give it a real go and if you're not good enough, so be it.
                Great post. I saw the older mentality as "oh no, we're probably going to fail and get skewered again"... The new one is more like "let's go lads, let's give it our best...we might even win!"

Much more positive energy around the England team.

On the other side...

noooooo Cavaniii!!!! Damn, I really want to see Ura KO France.

Comment

• This England team is so media savvy too. Last World Cup you had Hart giving one word answers to the press.

Trent Arnold at 19 years old fronted up for post match interview when we lost to Belgium. Can you imagine a w.anker like Stevie Meeeeee doing that after a loss?

That kid is proper. Liverpool have a gem there because it’s not just about talent it’s about having a set of bollocks.

Comment

• Cavani not playing

Guessing Uruguay is not gonna make it now...not the dynamic duo in front

Comment

• Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                      I can relate to this.

As a Forest fan, i wasn't around during our European heydey, but in my lifetime, i've watched them win the League Cup at the old Wembley twice, FA Cup finalists, finish 3rd in the Prem, and watch them face a Klinsmann lead Bayern Munich in the European cup with the Pearce/Collymore era.

Compare this to my brother who is 20. He has never seen us play in the Prem. Our only trophy since he was born is winning League freaking One (3rd tier).
                      Yep.. i see a few fans here not old enough for Euro 96 even.. tbh my first memory of England was us vs San Marino in a qualifier.. we needed to beat them 9-0 or something but won 7-1 and didn't qualify for 94 World cup in the USA.

This has been a great tournament for England (in general also).. but not near 96 imo..

That last minute Gazza goal vs Scotland.. Destroying a good dutch side 4-1 and beating Spain on pens is just much better then beating Panama, Columbia and Tunisia

Could change if we beat Sweden tho

Comment

Working...
                      X