Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has been the best ambassador for boxing between these recently retired boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has been the best ambassador for boxing between these recently retired boxers?

1) Andre Ward

2) Floyd Mayweather Jr

3) Klitschko brothers: The most dominant heavyweight champions in history.
    Andre Ward
    20.00%
    Floyd Mayweather Jr
    20.00%
    Klitschko brothers
    60.00%

Floyd brought in more fans and was best fighter.kinda hard to call him an ambassador.it just kinda sticks in your throat.lol

Comment

Floyd, and it's not even all that close

Andre Ward would've given him a run had he stayed with the sport and fought out another 4-6 fights as the top fighter in the sport (Vitali and Wladimir simply spent too much time in Germany to matter).

Say what you want about Floyd's personal issues, the way he carried himself in boxing, as a fighter and business man, set the model for how fighters will take to the sport for at least the next 10 years.

Alvarez sees 85% of the money on his fights head his way. Joshua and Hearn are on an 80/20 split, Mikey Garcia is controlling his own career on a fight-by-fight basis, Devin Haney building himself to 17-0 on his own terms, etc.

Floyd reset the mold in a way that matters

Comment

The K Brothers and Andre Ward in terms of the way they carried themselves at all times.

Floyd is, for all his talents, what people considered bad in the sport with the matchmaking, business first type approach. Good for him AND the fighters, but the general public paid to watch him lose most of the time. It's a shame because he was really that good.

To the people sayingthe K Bros spent too much time in Germany..how is that a bad thing? They were selling out stadiums and were a oretty f ucking big deal outside the U.S which isn't something that was typical with Heavyweights.

Wlad had an amazing run and his brother Vitali was also great. If Wladimir couldnt beat em, Vitali would and they carried themselves with dignity and pride throughout their whole careers. Wladimir just quietlly ruled with an iron fist to the point people called the division "boring". It was borin because you had a guy who no matter who was getting hype, who was the mandatory, who anything..he'd crush and was a king in his weight division.

Vitali went on to retire and try to make something of himself for the good of his people. I'm not the most versed in their internal strife but the bit I've heard (correctly or incorrectly, you tell me) makes it sound EXTREMELY dangerous in a place that was/is as corrupt as that. People get killed there and Vitali gave no fu cks and was out in the front lines walking the walk.

The K Bros, for all intents and purposes appear to be absolutely great men. They may not be American but I'm sure glad I got to witness them live and thoroughly enjoyed the consistancy of having a ruler of a division in Wlad. Didnt pop for roids (to my knowledge) and didn't b itch and moan. When wlad was around there were no good matchups in the division that involved him. You had to literally see the division objectively without Wlad and go "These two guys would have a good scrap." because you already knew who the king was. If you took Wlad out of the equation it seemed fair to the rest of the division. Good fights and some good fighters who didn't get credit because of the insurmountable task ahead of em. The only guy who looked like he belonged (during certain parts of the "era") was his brother.

Just think about it for a second. Wladimir was around when Lennox was around...and he just had an amazing fight with whats considered the future/present of the division. He lost, but jesus christ what a run.

I like Andre Ward but he just never resonated with the fans as a whole and he just seemed like a regular dude outside the ring who was a genius at what he did.

Floyd, despite the opposite of charisma and being socially awkward MADE the sport work for him. Nobody had to like him, didnt have to give him anything, and he's largely (arguably) responsible for trying to clean up the sport or at least trying SOMETHING. Not exactly an ambassador but holy s hit is it impressive what his drive and sheer skill let him accomplish. It's legendary and almost logic defying that someone so unliked stood defiantly and undisputably at the top and there was not a damn thing anyone could do about it.

He is so disliked in fact that people STILL want him in VS GGG. Can't even retire in peace. What a stud lol. Hate it or love it

Comment

The K brothers because they have been retired longer but Andre is a great guy and a very good addition to HBO. Mayweather comes up a little short in the ambassador department. He is too materialistic and brags too much about his money as if having so much of it somehow makes him better than others less wealthy.

Comment

Working...
          X