No announcement yet.

Are slicksters ruining boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Watchfire View Post
    Okay let me put this out there first, I love slick boxers, I think their are several boxers from the seventies who did it well without taking away from the game.
    Any boxer has to make a choice stylistically between speed and power and lately the slick technical boxers in the scene have chosen to rely on speed exclusively to win matches. Running behind the jab and relying on decisions. They don't even seem preoccupied with hurting their opponents at all.
    In the bygone, more exciting ages of boxing people cared more about knocking out their opponents about really beating them and not just winning a "game". It used to be the technical guys still scored a hell of a lot more knockouts even if they weren't power punchers.
    I guess this is kind of a rant and I'm sorry but I feel like this is killing the soul of boxing. I enjoy a good technical schooling as much as the next guy hell I appreciate it but if you never commit because your scared of getting caught then your just scared.
    I totally disagree. 1st off the term "slicksters" is horrible.......lol

2nd, the kid last night threw more punches than Ruslan and he threw a variety. It wasnt just jab. He had great variety. Thats the reason why Ruslan was so offbalance. 3rd, the guys back in the old days had more KO's because they fought more rounds. Guys today would have more ko's if the fights were longer. Boxing is an art. Its the sweet science. What makes it great is all the vast styles. Why cant fans just appreciate all styles? I dont get whats so hard about that. To me, if you cant then what makes you much different from a casual fan?
    Last edited by DLT; 06-15-2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

LMAO.

You know who was a slickster? Roberto Duran. Would you say he ruined boxing?

Comment

I don't have a problem with slick boxers but slick boxers fight in the center of the ring, give ground when they have to and take it to their opponents on their own terms for the most part.

Mayweather dismantling Canelo was smart slick boxing. Pac running circles around Rios was an example of slick boxing. Algeiri running for his life against Provonikov is not slick boxing, that's self preservation.

If you got a guy that is clearly in survival mode, trying to make it to the end of each round, that's not slick boxing, that's running and to reward this type of behavior with a win is a farce. It turns boxing into an advanced game of tag, where the objective is not to inflict damage on your opponent and impose your will but to see if I can touch the other guy without him touching me. It is no wonder boxing can't gain casual fans.
        Last edited by Shad0wB0xer; 06-15-2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchfire View Post
          Okay let me put this out there first, I love slick boxers, I think their are several boxers from the seventies who did it well without taking away from the game.
          Any boxer has to make a choice stylistically between speed and power and lately the slick technical boxers in the scene have chosen to rely on speed exclusively to win matches. Running behind the jab and relying on decisions. They don't even seem preoccupied with hurting their opponents at all.
          In the bygone, more exciting ages of boxing people cared more about knocking out their opponents about really beating them and not just winning a "game". It used to be the technical guys still scored a hell of a lot more knockouts even if they weren't power punchers.
          I guess this is kind of a rant and I'm sorry but I feel like this is killing the soul of boxing. I enjoy a good technical schooling as much as the next guy hell I appreciate it but if you never commit because your scared of getting caught then your just scared.
          Casual Fight fans who dont know much about the sport get turned off from slick boxers. Which is why Floyd promotes himself as the undefeated obnoxious money hungry guy that people want to see lose because casual fans dont want to see him fight they want to see him lose in contrast to Manny Pacquiao who likes to throw a lot of punches and put on a show and doesnt need to promote himself because people already know what to expect they have seen the knockouts. Casual fans are influenced by movies like Rocky they want to see action. Hardcore fight fans can appreciate both the brawlers and the slicksters and can know the difference between the two. For every slickster there is a brawler and people will tune in to watch because they know if the brawler has his chance he'll take the slickster out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebanon View Post
            Watching slicksters and brawlers fight is boxing to me. Fights between guys with very similar strengths tend to be snoozefests (although not always).

I found Ruslan vs Alvarado to be a much less exciting fight than Ruslan vs Bradley, Aglieri. Tua vs Ike which some people call the HW fight of the decade or whatever bored me to tears. 99% of the punches were smothered powerless because neither one would move backwards an inch.

Fights where the boxer is ahead on the cards and the puncher is ripping his face up and just needs one big punch are the best.
            Yeah. I actually don't really like watching two brawlers go at it. It's not art to me. So I kind've agree that two of the same style don't mesh well.

Too me, Boxing is all about the art form. When I watch a good counter puncher/defensive fighter like Rigo in Boxing or Petrosyan in Kickboxing(not technically a pure Boxer, but watch his fights, he's very slick) make his opponent miss and make him pay for it, or just completely intercept his attack before he has a chance to cover up, it just fills me with this feeling of awe. It's like he read his mind in that split second and thought up the perfect answer.
            Last edited by VicariousVice; 06-15-2014, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              LMAO.

You know who was a slickster? Roberto Duran. Would you say he ruined boxing?
              Lol. I'll tell u one thing, Duran was more slick than Algieri could ever hope to be.

Comment

I personally prefer the slick styles and slick boxers and actually wish the brawlers and punchers would just move on to MMA.

I think boxing needs to implement head gear into professional boxing and this would discourage brawler types from joining boxing and we'd finally get to see boxing the way it's meant to be in it's purest form

Comment

doesn't matter how you fight if you're trying to hurt a guy, plenty of slicksters, movers etc that are extremely exciting i.e roy jones, pacquiao respectfully, because they throw bombs

imagine ray leonard throwing pitty pat punches all night while on the move, and he has real speed remember that, he'd be harder to catch than normal, likely would never tire, but it would be a shameful display, and extremely boring unless the opponent sparked him, this pitty pat stuff that many fighters are coming out with in todays boxing is embarrassing and it's purely defensive, literally all they have done is found a way to be completely on the defensive whilst scoring points

now if the other guy wasn't being a complete fa.got and was trying to do something with his punches, should he miss he'll be off balance, when he punches he'll momentarily slow down his footwork, but if you're just flailing your arms you can move at full speed, you're legs and arms doing completely different things, and it aint fighting, and it's not pro boxing neither, i'd imagine it would have more of a place in AM boxing

but with that said, they aren't unbeatable, provo for example really looked just plain terrible, and had he done some body work/thrown some punches in general, could have won

Comment

Being a Slick boxer is one thing, I respect that IMMENSELY, being a ****ing runner thou is ****ing garbage. I hate that ****.

Mayweather = Slick defensive fighter.

Algeri = runner.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                      If one isn't much of a puncher it isn't wise to stand and trade with the stronger man. It's fucking simple.
                      This right here.

I never understood how people overlook this aspect of a fighter. Why swing for the fences when that's not one of your strengths? Use your tools to your advantage, not your opponents.

Comment

Working...
                      X