No announcement yet.

Do promoters really earn their money?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
    It's going that route fast. This is why DAZN was created Once showtime dies out it will all be dazn.
    Fox stomps all over DAZN.

PBC promoters were doing a crap job with the Spence vs Porter fight but a last minute push from Fox on their NFL broadcasts served to make it a pretty successful PPV.

Comment

Boxing promoters, at least in the US, haven't earned a damn cent in years. It's one of the reasons I still like Hearn - he works his ass off to promote his fighters. The UK shows, no matter how low their fees are or how cheap the tickets are (yadda yadda), are always sell outs and have some of the most hardcore fans.

Don't remember the last time I saw a promoter do anything similar in the US. Fact that most of the big fights are in LV don't help. But even when they're in MSG, the lack of promotion is palpable. I live in NYC, and haven't seen a well promoted match in a decade. Hell, the biggest fight that MSG hosted recently was Cotto - Canelo, and I remember even from that time there were maybe 3 posters in the City, and jack sht otherwise.

Comment

A promoter provides access and opportunities for a fighter to establish a career. That is why a fighter signs with a promoter. If you do not have a promoter you are not going to be given any chance or opportunity to advance beyond journeyman level. Promoters have the bankroll to fund a career just beginning but they are going to want to make sure they see some of that money back along with extra which is understandable.

A good promoter should market you but as long as they give you dates and airtime you need to pull your own weight if you want to go beyond that. It makes sense from a business standpoint. Why waste your time and money promoting someone if it is not going to generate any more money than if you didn't go all out? It's why I'm ok with Ward fighting in Oakland, Crawford in Omaha, Spence in Dallas. It's a safe bet. You are going to make money and you don't have to do anything.

It's like any other job. You work with a small-mid size company get some experience and from there you have choices. Either stay because you are comfortable where you are, move to a big company get an increase in pay, start your own business (rarely works out in the real world), or get fired if the employer doesn't feel you are an asset to them. Asset meaning something that will generate money for them and their business.

Comment

Working...
        X