Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflicted over whether to try boxing again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    It's your mind, your life...….Rockin'
    Perfect.... from one man to another.... perfect...I’ve got nothing to add..

Comment

Honestly, the fact you're having to ask this question makes me think that you shouldn't go back. You don't play boxing & you've got to be 100% in your mind that it's what you want to be doing. It'll come back & bite you otherwise.

Comment

Spar, spar, spar. That's how you will learn

Comment

Boxing

Originally posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
          At the start of this year I joined my nearest boxing gym attending boxfit sessions 3 times a week, intending to learn to box and compete.

After a couple of months, I was finally told that to learn how to actually box, I had to attend sparring sessions that were held after the boxfit, however the gym turned out to be very negligent as they expected me to spar without any training whatsoever. The second session I attended I came down with a concussion after I got home and had to spend the night in A+E.

I decided not to spar again due to this bad experience, though I still attend boxfit at least once a week. The gym have since changed the way they do things, the sparring sessions are now referred to as "Learn to Box" and they spend that class doing padwork and technique now, obviously worried they're going to get into trouble after what happened to me.

Part of me still wants to compete in the amateurs. But I don't want to relive the bad experience I had. I feel that me suffering a concussion was due to absorbing 80% of my opponents punches since I didn't really know what I was doing.
          However if I were to start this time, I'd be under proper training and direction.

One of the problems is that I have ADHD, and I feel that it has been slightly worse since the concussion, and I don't want to be rendered unable to focus.

Having considered all of this, would it still be a good idea for me to compete in the ams (I'm not trying to turn pro or anything)?
          I'm 21 years old and I would train hard, regularly if I thought I could be good (I'll be ditching the weights this time which just got in the way last time).
          Train by yourself. Find a regular gum with heavy bags and also get yourself a double-end bag (slip bag) so you can practice movement and technique at home. Watch tons of videos on different techniques for offense and defense (Philly shell especially). You need to spar at some point, but NOBODY should have you spar without training. Technique is the key to avoid injuries. Study your favorite fighters and training habits.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowsNestWest View Post
            Train by yourself. Find a regular gum with heavy bags and also get yourself a double-end bag (slip bag) so you can practice movement and technique at home. Watch tons of videos on different techniques for offense and defense (Philly shell especially). You need to spar at some point, but NOBODY should have you spar without training. Technique is the key to avoid injuries. Study your favorite fighters and training habits.
            Fantastic Post!!!

But since the guy first joined the gym, how would he know that you're supposed to let the sparring partner/trainer know to go light? Isn't that the job of the gym/what he's paying for, to know protocol? Its not like everyone who first joins a boxing gym would know these things.
            Last edited by TheSlickster; 11-07-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Gyms

Originally posted by TheSlickster View Post
              Fantastic Post!!!

But since the guy first joined the gym, how would he know that you're supposed to let the sparring partner/trainer know to go light? Isn't that the job of the gym/what he's paying for, to know protocol? Its not like everyone who first joins a boxing gym would know these things.
              Thanks!
              Well, yeah, just reinforcing a lesson he (hopefully )learned. At least it was boxing ad not another martial art like Jiu Jitsu or he might have a broken arm or worse. There are tons of people in combat sports who use caveman ways of doing things. You have to question everything in regards to safety; eg. Leg press machines put yo in a compromised position for injury. Overtraining is a common issue in the boxing community

Comment

Originally posted by CrowsNestWest View Post
                Thanks!
                Well, yeah, just reinforcing a lesson he (hopefully )learned. At least it was boxing ad not another martial art like Jiu Jitsu or he might have a broken arm or worse. There are tons of people in combat sports who use caveman ways of doing things. You have to question everything in regards to safety; eg. Leg press machines put yo in a compromised position for injury. Overtraining is a common issue in the boxing community
                Oh my bad, the below part was addressed to the posters before yourself that were saying it was his fault....but that makes alot of sense though having to make sure you prepared for non safe situations. But i'm sure that def hit the mark for him

Comment

Originally posted by markyod View Post
                  Your fault not the gyms, ask your sparring partners for light work and tell them you're a beginner, if not expect people to try and take your head off.
                  They all knew I had only just started and completely denied me any training in advance you idiot!

Comment

They all knew I had only just started and completely denied me any training in advance you idiot!
                    Thank you! Its easy for outsiders to criticize when they hadn't been in that same situation. If they actually had you ran more defensive drills before putting you into sparring and actually were negligent, this probably wouldn't had happened in the first place. You're definitely not at fault for this.

Comment

Seems like you're the idiot going into sparring with 0 training, looks like you cant think for yourself and want to be baby sat, maybe boxing isn't for you pal.

Comment

Working...
                      X