Collapse
No announcement yet.

patterson and rocky

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patterson would not be physically strong enough to Keep Rocky off. Rocky would get him out of there within 6 rounds.

The argument of he beat this guy or that guy went 15 rounds with him, therefore Patterson could to doesn't hold water. If it did, I guess some would say Mitch Green and Quick Tillis are better than Holmes and Spinks becuse they went the distance with Tyson.

It's all about styles and matchups and circumstances at the time. I can't see Patterson giving Marciano much trouble..imo

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
      Butterfly, before you go saying dumb **** like that, it might be best for you to learn a few things about that time;

- Like when Marciano made the decision to retire (which was well before the annoucement).
      - The Heavyweight ratings for that time frame.
      - The odds for Patterson fights with both Hurricane Jackson & Archie Moore (Floyd was an underdog in both, especially the 4 to 1 odds against him against Moore).
      - Who the hell Marciano & Al Weill associated themselves with and then who D'Amato refused to do business with.
      - Some quotes from Marciano and those associated with him, stating one of the reasons he retired was because they're was a total lack of competition in his immediate future, which was echoed by MANY in the boxing business.

If you learn just those few things, you'll find that Patterson was thought of very lightly and in fact, wasn't even a ranked Heavyweight contender when Rocky made his decision that he was going to retire...He had no reason what so ever to be scared of a realitive unknown by the name of Floyd Patterson!
      shut the hell up! if rocky wasn't scared of patterson, then why didn't he fight him? he was already training to fight, so why throw all that training down the drain cause you don't feel like fighting someone. it's obvious he ducked patterson, but in your little minds he didn't fight him cause he didn't think he would be a challenge. he knew he couldn't beat him! that's why. first he saw how he made short work of moore, who gave rocky the fight of his life the year before. then he saw patterson almost kill johannson in the rematch, which had him scared ****less, "imagine what he could do to me" he must have thought. johansson weighed 200lbs to rocky's 180 and plus ingammar was more skilled as a fighter than rocky. yet floyd had the swede out cold for minutes with one punch! but you marciano fanboys say he's better than ali! well unlike rocky, muhammad fights anybody, not just people he thought he could beat. after ali lost to frazier in fight of the century, he was fighting fights and training hard for an ali-frazier rematch, so he could win his title back, but frazier was dethroned by george foreman in two rounds. but did ali all of a sudden didn't want to fight foreman, cause he expected frazier to be his opponent. no! he fought foreman anyway and crushed him. that's what a true champion does. he doesn't duck someone cause he thinks he doesn't have a chance like rocky did patterson so you can go about all you want about how cus didn't want to do business with some people, but if marciano really wanted to fight patterson, then a compromise would have been made and the fight would have went on, if rocky really wanted it that bad IMO.

Comment

Butterfly, you're ****ing clueless!

Marciano spent only a few weeks in training for a comeback against Johansson before eventually giving it up, as he told his Uncle Mike..."The hell with it. I could never get in shape"

That training Marciano did was in Sept & Oct of 1959, which was a long time before Patterson regained the title back from Johansson.

But you're clueless to that whole situation and I can't be bothered wasting my time, so enough of that. But since you're a big Ali fan, I've got a question for you...

Why did he duck Duane Bobick in the spring of 1977?
        Last edited by Yogi; 12-14-2005, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
          Butterfly, you're ****ing clueless!

Marciano spent only a few weeks in training for a comeback against Johansson before eventually giving it up, as he told his Uncle Mike..."The hell with it. I could never get in shape"

That training Marciano did was in Sept & Oct of 1955, which was a long time before Patterson regained the title back from Johansson.

But you're clueless to that whole situation and I can't be bothered wasting my time, so enough of that. But since you're a big Ali fan, I've got a question for you...

Why did he duck Duane Bobick in the spring of 1977?
          if you watch classic ringside top ten hw then you would know that if johansson won the rematch against patterson then rocky would have fought him. are you trying to say that even if johansson won that rocky still wouldn't fight him? WOW! and who the heck is dwayne bobick?

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
            if you watch classic ringside top ten hw then you would know that if johansson won the rematch against patterson then rocky would have fought him. are you trying to say that even if johansson won that rocky still wouldn't fight him? WOW! and who the heck is dwayne bobick?
            I don't need to watch some show to form an opinion on the suject, as I've done my own reading/research on the subject...Was that Bert Sugar's show, or what?

Who was Duane Bobick, you ask?

Well, and this is the short description of him, that's the guy that Ali blatantly ducked out of a title defense against in the spring of 1977.

Comment

Rocky did not duck Patterson, and whats his name with the cigar and hat got it all wrong.

Marciano train for a whole month while muffing over the thought of a comback against than champ Ingo.

After Marciano found out he did not "Have the willness to train" like he did, he made up his mind to stay in retirement.

A few months later Patterson regain the belt.

If Ingo HAD won the rematch, I dont think Marciano would have return to face him, as he was not in the same shape that he was in, the 1950's.

The guy can make a few errors, or his own option, but its not a fact.

Comment

======shut the hell up! if rocky wasn't scared of patterson, then why didn't he fight him? he was already training to fight, so why throw all that training down the drain cause you don't feel like fighting someone. it's obvious he ducked patterson, but in your little minds he didn't fight him cause he didn't think he would be a challenge. he knew he couldn't beat him! that's why. first he saw how he made short work of moore, who gave rocky the fight of his life the year before. then he saw patterson almost kill johannson in the rematch, which had him scared ****less, "imagine what he could do to me" he must have thought. johansson weighed 200lbs to rocky's 180 and plus ingammar was more skilled as a fighter than rocky. =================

** Kids. You teach em how to read and write, and all of a sudden they forget their potty training.

Comment

You shut the hell up.

Marciano only train for a MONTH, Ingo was champ when Marciano was suppose to make his comeback.

Marciano gave up training, because other things, and Busnesse got in the way.

Marciano was not in training and have all ready giving up on the comeback by the time Patterson beat Ingo in 1960,

Marciano comeback training was in 1959 for a month. Marciano just could NOT get in the shape he was in for the early 50's. Marciano was not going to comeback VS Patterson or Ingo, in the SHAPE he wanted to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey1238
                    You shut the hell up.

Marciano only train for a MONTH, Ingo was champ when Marciano was suppose to make his comeback.

Marciano gave up training, because other things, and Busnesse got in the way.

Marciano was not in training and have all ready giving up on the comeback by the time Patterson beat Ingo in 1960,

Marciano comeback training was in 1959 for a month. Marciano just could NOT get in the shape he was in for the early 50's. Marciano was not going to comeback VS Patterson or Ingo, in the SHAPE he wanted to be in.
                    Ah Greek...LRR was quoting Butterfly's earlier post from before, and his only comment of his own was, "Kids. You teach em how to read and write, and all of a sudden they forget their potty training."

i.e. He was calling Butterfly an idiot basically.

Comment

opps, Sorry did not mean 2, I see Butterfly's earler post.

Comment

Working...
                      X