No announcement yet.

Antonio Tarver vs James Toney @ Heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonio Tarver vs James Toney @ Heavyweight

Now I know what you are all thinking....

What a weird, basically pointless, fantasy matchup.....

And I agree.....

But not only is it a crazy ridiculous fantasy matchup....

It is also about to ACTUALLY happen.

----I recently spoke to Bernard Hopkins and in response to your interview, he nonchalantly brushed off your desire to have a rematch with him, saying that the fight means nothing financially, and in terms of his legacy. Is there anything you'd like to say in response to Hopkins?

Tarver: "Hopkins has more money than he has heart, honestly. He's always going to use a financial situation to say it isn't worth the money. It was worth the money the first time I fought him, when he was nothing. He had lost his undisputed championship, had lost twice in a row. It's the same scenario. I fought him because it was a decent name. He can't say my credibility is not intact. Why would he want to go fight somebody that knocked out Roy Jones Jr.? That proves nothing."

"How much money are they offering him to fight Danny Green? Is he getting more fighting Danny Green than he would fighting me? I dispute that 110%. If that's his way out, hey, he can run like the coward that he is. I did a man to man thing when I fought him. I didn't have to fight him, I could have defended my title against anybody. My whole thing is this, I was coming off of losing 50 ****ing pounds when I fought Hopkins in three months. I want to fight him when I'm 100%, and they're making the excuse that Roy fought me life and death because he lost weight. What's his excuse, he beat a dead man, and didn't even knock me out or hurt me. I made it through that fight on my feet. Fight me when I'm healthy and strong, that's all I'm saying. I think it makes good sense. If he can't get a fight with Chad Dawson, who else is another viable name?"

"David Haye is in with De La Hoya. What are they going to do, serve him upm just to give Hopkins the opportunity? The guy hasn't even fought James Toney yet. He's ducked everybody, he wants to fight Roy Jones Jr. because Jones isn't half the fighter he used to be. He wants to fight Jones and capitalize on his name, fight me, my name is still credible. I lost to a 26 year old fighter twice, that doesn't make me not worthy of a fight with a 45 year old mother****er. The bottom line is that Hopkins is running, he has more money than he does heart. He'll never take that risk, because it is a risk. He has everything to lose, and I have a chance to redeem myself for a fight that I wasn't 100% healthy in."

"I just want that opportunity, but if it doesn't happen, I'm going on record. Call your boy De La Hoya, I'm willing to fight the most dangerous fighter in the cruiserweight division to prove that I'm worthy of a fight with David Haye. If I'm victorious in that fight, let them sign the contract, and the winner can fight David Haye. I want to fight James Toney, bottom line. Toney-Tarver in 2010. Who the **** is Hopkins willing to fight? He's trying to skate his way out of this **** without facing a real challenge. If he wants to go to heavyweight, he can't just go straight to the title. Fight somebody."

-------- So, Tarver-Toney, huh?

Toney: If that's what it takes to get David Haye, I'm willing to take that risk. Hopkins isn't ready to take no risk, he's running scared, he's never fought James Toney. Every time that James Toney challenged him to fight, he always ran scared. Hopkins is trying to do nothing but sell himself to the highest bidder, period.

------------------------------------------------------

------I spoke with Antonio Tarver earlier today, and he was trying to get a rematch with Bernard Hopkins, who turned him down. The next name out of his mouth was fighting you at heavyweight, and the winner should be able to challenge David Haye for the WBA heavyweight title. He says he's ready to make it happen ASAP.

Toney: "Really? We can do this. Finally, one of the bitches came out the closet. I've been chasing everybody. I've been wanting to fight the Klitschko sisters, no heart David Haye, Christine Arreola, I've been trying to fight everybody. All of these guys run their ****ing mouths. I'm mad at Chris Arreola, he made a comment about knocking out all these bums, and he mentioned my name. I may be old, but I'm definitely not a bum. I've forgotten more boxing than he's learned."

----He called you an old bum? I missed that.

JT: I tried to be friends with the dude, he's a sorry-ass bum. He cried like a ***** when he got beat by Klitschko in September. What man goes and cries because he got beat by another man? Only bitches do **** like that.

---You weighed 217 in your last fight. Are you maintaining that weight?

JT: I want to go down, because I want fake ass Bernard Hopkins. Fake ass, old school. What mother****er goes in there with a hood on his head?" Nobody does that, they fight. He fights to survive. The last guy he fought had no business going the distance with him."

----- With all the heavyweights you want to fight, are you surprised a light heavyweight like Tarver is the one calling you out?

JT: "I'm very surprised, but I'm happy because I'm finally going to get a fight worthy of note. I ain't got to fight no stiff, bum, or so called contenders. But if you think about it, everybody in the heavyweight is a bum. Look at the Queenpin [Kevin Johnson, who had a wek performance against Vitali Klitschko]. He ain't do **** like he said he was going to do. Queenpin stunk up the joint and nobody in America wants to see the Klitschkos, only people in Germany do. And people in Germany are boring anyway, so they're used to boring ****."

---- How does a fight with you and Tarver play out?

JT: "I love the fight. I think it's a great fight. He's going to try and talk trash, but he's a solid fighter and I get up for fights like this"

---- He's never been stopped before...

JT: (Cutting in) "He ain't never fight James Toney, so he's going to get ready for a bunch of new experiences if he got the balls to get in the ring with me. I want to make this fight as soon as possible. If he wants a tune up because he been off for a while, that's fine. I just don't want no excuses from him when I put this ass whooping on him."

:roy4:
    Tarver UD
    50.00%
    Tarver KO
    5.56%
    DRAW
    0.00%
    Toney UD
    33.33%
    Toney KO
    11.11%
    Last edited by THE REED; 12-18-2009, 10:02 AM.

Tarver at heavyweight is going to get the worst beat down of his life.

Comment

Toney by KO..........................

Comment

I think Tarver has more left in the tank than Toney but fighting at heavyweight will be a new experience for him, I'm leaning towards Toney just because he's more used to fighting at the weight but I wouldn't be surprised if Tarver wins, Toney can't deal with a good jab anymore.

Comment

Tarver UD, Toney at heavyweight is flatfooted, Tarver will jab and move... jab and move.

Comment

The HW return of Mason "The Line" Dixon.

Comment

As a champion I thought it was the norm to always put a rematch clause in your contracts, strange that he didn't do that with Hopkins. I wish Tarver all the best, but I hope James Toney wins this.

Comment

Wow.

Almost a fantasy match up this one. 2 top guys from a lower weight class, never met in the ring, finally meet up at heavyweight in their twilight years.

Could be a great fight, not so much in terms of excitement, but in terms of strategic, slick counter punch, chess match boxing.

Consensus has got to be Toney wins in close,Tarver wins at a distance though Tarver would possibly be the favorite.

Fingers crossed this one comes together.

Comment

i dont care who toney fights, i just wanna see him fight. he'll always be one of my favorite boxers of all time

Comment

Make it happen! Tarver shouldn't fight the big names yet since he didn't look to hot last night. I think Toney is the perfect step up before he gets to the named heavyweights like Arreola, Adamek, Haye, or the Klitschkoes. I think a guy like Toney or Jason Estrada would do him well to see if he could really even handle those guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X