Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brook made a huge mistake fighting GGG & it's going to be looked back as his downfall

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
    It was a bad idea. Just like Khan-Canelo was a bad idea.
    They're setting themselves to lose in a hurry to prove something, make noise or make money, and its not like the guys they're fighting are past primes either.
    Like pac-dlh(even then pac was still the underdog) cotto-martinez or even canelo-chavez jr.
    Now he's peak/prime condition was ruined before the welter even got more interesting. Sad
    It's very annoying that Brook was wasted for so long. I would've loved to have seen Brook against Thurman/Garcia/Pac.

All ruined because of so much ****. Kell shouldn't be a "done" fighter at 31 that's crazy but it's happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
      For those who don't remember before GGG fight was announced it was going to be Brook/Vargas which would've been a good win for Brook and got him another title along with being a much safer fight.

Eddie Hearn ****ed Brook with him allowing Brook to take on GGG just because he didn't have a GGG PPV because Eubank Jr pulled out at the last minute. He should've just cancelled the GGG fight and went on with Vargas.

I'm not making excuses for the Spence loss because I think it's going to be trouble even in his next fight which could be a tune up. I can see Brook looking **** in his next fight because of his eye weaknesses and him wanting to quit when it gets too tough.

I think Brook could seriously be done at a world level thinking about it. I mean he could win a vacant belt or beat Callum Smith at 154 but he won't beat many of the top fighters who punch even harder than welters.

Eddie is usually a really good promoter but he's going to look back and think he ****ed up letting Brook fight GGG.
      Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      It was such a stupid move. It baffles me how they let an undefeated champion go up two weight divisions to fight such a dangerous guy.
      Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
      Everyone knew it was a bad idea.

As soon as it was announced the reaction was pretty unanimous; he's too small. He put on unnecessary weight, took unnecessary punishment and he's now in a position where he struggles to make weight, struggles with his stamina and his face is breaking up.

Excellent fighter, terrible career move.
      There is another side of the coin that a lot of you fail to acknowledge only taking into account a fans perspective.

Kell Brook's bank account.

You couldn't see where Brook was going to earn a life changing pay day apart from Amir Khan, and it has never looked like Khan wanted that fight. The GGG fight gave Brook life changing money, and that is the first thing any fighter should be aiming for. It might not have been the best possible way, but the GGG fight guaranteed financial security, if he doesn't take that fight, there is no guarantee.

Brook has now had two big pay days, (this one will be as well) and if he chose to retire he could so with confidence that his and his families future is secure. If he carries on - you can pretty much guarantee that he could do good numbers again with the right dance partner.

I agree that from the point of view that he hasn't maximised his potential and his career achievements probably don't match his capabilities and probably never will. But this was a guy that was 30 years old and still hadn't made a 7 figure pay day. He wasn't a 23, 24, 25 year old who got thrown to the wolves for nothing. He was well compensated. I think under the circumstance it was tough to achieve both things together, so I don't think you can blame Brook or Hearn for the choices.

Comment

I agree it was Eddie Hearn's greed, that probably ended up ruining Kell Brook's career. He cashed him out too soon by having him jump up two weight divisions in order to challenge GGG at Middleweight; Which appears to have been a very costly mistake.

Comment

I agree fighting GGG was indeed a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            There is another side of the coin that a lot of you fail to acknowledge only taking into account a fans perspective.

Kell Brook's bank account.

You couldn't see where Brook was going to earn a life changing pay day apart from Amir Khan, and it has never looked like Khan wanted that fight. The GGG fight gave Brook life changing money, and that is the first thing any fighter should be aiming for. It might not have been the best possible way, but the GGG fight guaranteed financial security, if he doesn't take that fight, there is no guarantee.

Brook has now had two big pay days, (this one will be as well) and if he chose to retire he could so with confidence that his and his families future is secure. If he carries on - you can pretty much guarantee that he could do good numbers again with the right dance partner.

I agree that from the point of view that he hasn't maximised his potential and his career achievements probably don't match his capabilities and probably never will. But this was a guy that was 30 years old and still hadn't made a 7 figure pay day. He wasn't a 23, 24, 25 year old who got thrown to the wolves for nothing. He was well compensated. I think under the circumstance it was tough to achieve both things together, so I don't think you can blame Brook or Hearn for the choices.
            Don't agree with this at all. He could've built his name up and got even more big paydays than just the one big GGG one.

You do know when Brook was going to fight Vargas it was going to be at Bramall Lane right? and PPV? He would've been easily pulling in a £1 million+ payday for that fight which was by far a career high. Sure it's not the £3 million in the GGG fight but he could've had life changing money fights with Garcia, Thurman, Pac and not had to have his eye punched into pieces by a MW to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
              So he wanted to continue fighting Golovkin because it was early but didn't want to go an extra round and a half?

That's even worst.
              don't you think he was acting about wanting to continue the fight with GGG? I think it was an act. getting beat on in the 11 th round when he was exhausted is different then the 5th round

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
                don't you think he was acting about wanting to continue the fight with GGG? I think it was an act. getting beat on in the 11 th round when he was exhausted is different then the 5th round
                I can't say he was acting because he looked genuinely surprised that they threw in the towel. However, it could have been the plan all along to stop it if it got worst but he wasn't ready yet.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how it was easier for him to stop it in the 11th round than the 5th. Yes he was fading badly and taking a beating but all he had to do was finish those last 2 rounds. That says a lot about his character more than anything but of course you want to give the fighter the benefit of the doubt.

The other big problem is this was back to back fights. I don't know how he will live down this reputation anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
                  For those who don't remember before GGG fight was announced it was going to be Brook/Vargas which would've been a good win for Brook and got him another title along with being a much safer fight.

Eddie Hearn ****ed Brook with him allowing Brook to take on GGG just because he didn't have a GGG PPV because Eubank Jr pulled out at the last minute. He should've just cancelled the GGG fight and went on with Vargas.

I'm not making excuses for the Spence loss because I think it's going to be trouble even in his next fight which could be a tune up. I can see Brook looking **** in his next fight because of his eye weaknesses and him wanting to quit when it gets too tough.

I think Brook could seriously be done at a world level thinking about it. I mean he could win a vacant belt or beat Callum Smith at 154 but he won't beat many of the top fighters who punch even harder than welters.

Eddie is usually a really good promoter but he's going to look back and think he ****ed up letting Brook fight GGG.
                  It wasn't the ggg fight.
                  It was the fact he got no soft touches after the loss.
                  When you take a beating like that, you don't come right back and fight a hungry young lion. You take a soft touch or two, regain some confidence, readjust to the weight, getting hit, etc. Then you go out and fight a top guy again.
                  Cotto did after his loss to Margarito.
                  Khan did after the Prescott fight.
                  Tyson did after the Douglass fight.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    I can't say he was acting because he looked genuinely surprised that they threw in the towel. However, it could have been the plan all along to stop it if it got worst but he wasn't ready yet.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how it was easier for him to stop it in the 11th round than the 5th. Yes he was fading badly and taking a beating but all he had to do was finish those last 2 rounds. That says a lot about his character more than anything but of course you want to give the fighter the benefit of the doubt.

The other big problem is this was back to back fights. I don't know how he will live down this reputation anytime soon.
                    remember they stopped 15 rd fights cause taking a beating in the late rounds can lead to serious injury

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
                      remember they stopped 15 rd fights cause taking a beating in the late rounds can lead to serious injury
                      How does that explain why he would want to go 7 more rounds with an injured eye and not a round and a half with a different injured eye. You're saying it was because he was taking a beating. He said it was because he couldn't see out the eye. Eye? Beating? Which one is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X