Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest 190 lb fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think you should count Louis at 190 because he was only at or around that weight for the first 8 of his fights and I don't think Louis in his first 8 fights comes anywhere near beating any of the guys mentioned so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      The long count was a reality, Dempsey had him beat. I do agree that a solid boxer with a good punch is a favorite over the pressure guy who has good power!
      However that's when the chin comes in and that's where Moore and Holyfield
      might shine.
      The 175lb division is very tough to pick from and a 190 class is the same to me your just adding Heavyweights who didn't bulk up and as a young men starting out could make 190.
      I saw Holyfield at 178 (light heavy amateur weight) in the amateurs and he looked outstanding. His shoulders
      were broad and his legs were strong. He was quirky with some funny looking steps but he had leverage at a young age and was impressive.
      Spinks right hand was pure dynamite he tuned everything with it he hit like a mule at 165lbs.

I still like Louis because his punch technique is the best of all of them.

nite now, hope Pascal stops talking and starts boxing. He could give Koval a better fight this time but they rarely do after a loss!
      Ray
      If we ever invent time travel i would love to see Greb against Tunney! That long count would give the victory to Tunney. Anyone of these guys could take it...especially at 15 rounds giving the punchers that little extra championship rounds time to catch someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        I don't think you should count Louis at 190 because he was only at or around that weight for the first 8 of his fights and I don't think Louis in his first 8 fights comes anywhere near beating any of the guys mentioned so far.
        Thats a great point.

Looking at tapes of a young Louis another interesting thing about him is that he had fast feet. He became more of a stalker and expert in efficiency and it obviously worked well for him, but I wonder, if we consider the best at a lower weight, and we have Louis with that foot speed.... Of course he didn't have the benefit of experience and Schmelling is an example of how technical knowledge can win fights, when he taught Louis a lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Thats a great point.

Looking at tapes of a young Louis another interesting thing about him is that he had fast feet. He became more of a stalker and expert in efficiency and it obviously worked well for him, but I wonder, if we consider the best at a lower weight, and we have Louis with that foot speed.... Of course he didn't have the benefit of experience and Schmelling is an example of how technical knowledge can win fights, when he taught Louis a lesson.
          I guess in todays weigh ins I wonder if a in ring weight of 202=204 could weigh 190 at a weigh in so thats why i put joe in this catagory

Comment

Working...
          X