New video of Jorge Linares showing his speed on the mitts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
    He's that frail and no I'm not kidding.
    In what fight did Linares look like this when it was stopped?

I'm not saying his chin is better than Khan's but you can't say it's worse either.

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
    Linares is just another physically talented fighter who has been fawned over much too much just because he's fast.

he's not the goods.
    It's not just the speed it's the fluidity and the variety of the combinations, the footwork, the bodywork, the accuracy, the timing. Offensively he is the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      In what fight did Linares look like this when it was stopped?

I'm not saying his chin is better than Khan's but you can't say it's worse either.

It's not just the speed it's the fluidity and the variety of the combinations, the footwork, the bodywork, the accuracy, the timing. Offensively he is the goods.
      That was at 135 though, would that have happened at 140, maybe, maybe not but we've seen Khan withstand an insane amount of punishment against Maidana, Peterson and Danny Garcia, and I doubt Linares would have been able to withstand 30% of that.

I agree with the bold, his issue was that he didn't know how to pace himself and his right hand in my opinion, the arch of it always seemed weird to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
        he has fast, fluid hands, agreed. but nothing that we've never seen before.

his timing and footwork i'll need to be convinced of. Linares' feet are fast and nimble, but it's where and when you move your feet that matters ultimately, not how much, how fast or how daintily you move them. a fighter doesn't necessarily have to move a great deal or with any great haste to exhibit truly intelligent footwork.

and he badly lacks in crucial intangibles.

you can isolate an area of any fighter's game and praise it. overall, Linares is not the goods.
        Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 03-12-2013, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
          That was at 135 though, would that have happened at 140, maybe, maybe not but we've seen Khan withstand an insane amount of punishment against Maidana, Peterson and Danny Garcia, and I doubt Linares would have been able to withstand 30% of that.

I agree with the bold, his issue was that he didn't know how to pace himself and his right hand in my opinion, the arch of it always seemed weird to me.
          The move up in weight along with hiring a top conditioning coach seems to have improved Khan's punch resistance, maybe the same thing can happen to Linares.

I don't know about pace but I think his biggest issue is his defense/head movement and knowing what to do when he's hurt.

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
          he has fast, fluid hands, agreed. but nothing that we've never seen before.

his timing and footwork i'll need to be convinced of. Linares' feet are fast and dexterous, but it's where and when you move your feet that matters ultimately, not how much, how fast or how daintily you move them. a fighter doesn't necessarily have to move a great deal or with any great haste to exhibit truly intelligent footwork.

and he badly lacks in crucial intangibles.

you can isolate an area of any fighter's game and praise it. overall, Linares is not the goods.
          Well his footwork might not be very intelligent but there's something to be said of a fighter who is very light on his feet, almost cat like. His timing and accuracy are definitely top notch though. I don't think people should focus too much on the Demarco fight, Roach had a bad influence on Linares and made him fight like Khan which took away from Linares usual style. He's normally a poised precision puncher.

You may be right but if a fighter is great in an area and very weak in another, he could potentially become great overall if he improves in that specific area.
          Last edited by Light_Speed; 03-12-2013, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Linares is a talented boxer, just because his recent losses have taken some shine off the hype doesn't mean he is crap.

My only issue with the guy is how easily his face cuts up.

He needs to do some Jack Demsey shizz and wash his face with brine and chew leather.

Comment

Working...
            X