No announcement yet.

If a prime uninjured Patterson vs Clay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a prime uninjured Patterson vs Clay

How would Patterson done at his best without any injures vs Clay?

he would of gotten kayoed even faster.

Comment

Could be Frazier vs Ali-esque. But Patterson still gets stopped. Not so much because of his glass jaw either. More so because his punches couldn't do the damage on Ali that Frazier's could, thus Ali doesn't fade down the stretch.

Comment

Patterson might have gone the distance.

I don't think the 1965 Ali that fought Patterson was as good as the 1967 Ali.

Ali by UD-Something like 10-5

Comment

Patterson put up a valiant effort at 37 years of age against Ali, only to lose the fight on cuts. A bit of a freak incident in my opinion because Patterson wasn't cut often.

He looked slow and immobile in their first fight. I can imagine that Patterson could have done better at that point of his career if not for the injury but he would not have beaten Ali.

The Patterson of 1956 (vs Moore) or 1960 (vs Johansson II) has the best chance, since those were the only two times during his heavyweight career that he showed the killer instinct he was sometimes criticized for not having.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            Patterson put up a valiant effort at 37 years of age against Ali, only to lose the fight on cuts. A bit of a freak incident in my opinion because Patterson wasn't cut often.

He looked slow and immobile in their first fight. I can imagine that Patterson could have done better at that point of his career if not for the injury but he would not have beaten Ali.

The Patterson of 1956 (vs Moore) or 1960 (vs Johansson II) has the best chance, since those were the only two times during his heavyweight career that he showed the killer instinct he was sometimes criticized for not having.
            Talking about the 2nd Ali vs Patterson fight......

On another boxing website a question was asked which fight Ali took the most lightly and trained the least......Was the 2nd Patterson fight.

Jimmy Young was 2nd
            1st Norton fight was 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
              Talking about the 2nd Ali vs Patterson fight......

On another boxing website a question was asked which fight Ali took the most lightly and trained the least......Was the 2nd Patterson fight.

Jimmy Young was 2nd
              1st Norton fight was 3rd
              Ali came in at a pretty reasonable weight for him though at 218 pounds, not like the 230 lb sloppy Ali that turned up in the Jimmy Young fight.

He had also fought numerous times in the past couple of months so no real training was needed to keep in shape.

I do think that he didn't take the early rounds too seriously until Patterson started laying some serious leather onto him, prompting Ali to step up the pace.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Ali came in at a pretty reasonable weight for him though at 218 pounds, not like the 230 lb sloppy Ali that turned up in the Jimmy Young fight.

He had also fought numerous times in the past couple of months so no real training was needed to keep in shape.

I do think that he didn't take the early rounds too seriously until Patterson started laying some serious leather onto him, prompting Ali to step up the pace.
                Ali gave props to Patterson as well.He said he thought Patterson would be nothing and fold easily within' 5 rounds.He then said he seriously underestimated Floyd and gave him props for fighting so valiantly.Patterson said he put everything into this fight and trained as hard as he ever has.

Anyway,back to the topic.A prime Patterson with no injuries vs a Prime Ali would go the distance IMO.I believe Ali would win a UD-Something like 10-5

Comment

I actually thought Patterson took a few rounds against Ali (second fight) and that he was in the fight before Ali stepped it up and took him out, but then again he only had that much success imo because Ali let him. Ali knew his size would be the difference in the end and once he stepped up the attack the outcome was inevitable.

Patterson was so quick.

Comment

I had Patterson ahead by a round in their second fight.On what basis do you give Ali rounds? Patterson wasn't really landing many significent punches but you had to give him the nod based upon workrate.Ali spent more effort in his pre fight antics with Frazier than he did against Patterson in the first four rounds against patterson

Comment

Working...
                    X