Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is It With This Obsession of Wanting Fighters to be Weight Division Hoppers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Because ATG's under Heavyweight set the bar for what a great fighter should do, and that is challenge himself by moving up in weight class. When fans start calling a fighter great when he doesn't have a great resume or dares to be great by moving up to bigger challenges, he can't be called great.

"But Hagler..."

Hagler fought Hearns and Leonard, who were 6'1" and 5' 10" respectively, and were good sized MW's when they made it there, and big WW's. Cotto and Canelo do not compare to Hearns and Leonard either in greatness or height/size.

If you ever get the chance, ask your favorite fighter Bernard Hopkins, why a fighter should move up in weight to prove how great he is. After all he moved up 15lbs from 160 to fight The Ring champ at 175lbs for his debut fight, and schooled him. That's greatness. Knocking out Willie Monroe Jr, not even ranked in the top 10 at your weight class, that's not greatness. That's not even decent. Forget greatness.

Hopkins moved up at the tail end of his career (or what appeared to be the tail end at that time as he vowed to retire at around age 40, a promise to his mother, which he broke).

He also had 20x title defenses. I think GGG can afford to stay at 160 some more and add more credibility to his 15 title defenses by unifying all the titles as well. Otherwise his reign at 160 will have an asterisk to it, seeing how he isn't the lineal champion yet.

Comment

Originally posted by PulpFriction View Post
      Loool this is exactly what i'm talking about. Ward wasn't willing to fight anybody because he was in a promotional dispute that kept him out of the ring for a year and a half. Lara is with Al Haymon, GGG is exclusively with HBO. HBO does not work with Al Haymon. Why can't people just understand as oppose to spinning things their way just to meet their own agenda's.
      There was nothing that prevented K2 from calling GoossenTutor up, putting in an offer to fight Ward, and have Goossen bring the offer to Ward (There was never any accusations of Goossen stealing money from Ward, and it wasn't like the two weren't on speaking terms; Ward simply wanted to take a firmer control of his own future). If only they would've tried.

Being with Haymon didn't bar Edwin Rodriguez from fighting Ward on HBO. If K2 was willing to put up the money, I see no reason why there'd be any issue wuth Lara fighting on HBO. lol

Comment

Middleweight is the perfect weight class for GGG. I'd like to see him become undisputed and defend his reign as king of middleweight until he retires. Perfect scenario for him.

Comment

HBO wants Gonzalez to jump up another division to fight Inoue.

Comment

Working...
          X