Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had Hearns gotten the decision in Leonard-Hearns II, would we have seen a 3rd fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had Hearns gotten the decision in Leonard-Hearns II, would we have seen a 3rd fight?

Would Leonard's ego allow a 1-1 split with Tommy Hearns without a rubber match? Would Leonard-Duran III have happened at all??

Leonard will retire I guess, and there would be no Leonard-Duran III, Sugar Ray was very careful in choosing his opponents after his victory over Hagler, being dropped twice by Hearns and one against Lalonde doesnt sounds well for Leonard at that stage to even think of going for a rubbermatch with the hitman.

Hearns, just the same will defend his 168lbs belt against top-rank contenders.

Comment

This is one I do not have an answer to. Did he view duran as a lower risk opponent and go for the payday. He readly admits tommy should have gotten the decision in the second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        Would Leonard's ego allow a 1-1 split with Tommy Hearns without a rubber match? Would Leonard-Duran III have happened at all??
        I think that if Leonard had lost to Hearns by decision, then we would have seen a rematch before the end of the year.

Leonard could take plenty of positives away from his second fight with Hearns. He certainly had Hearns in trouble in the 5th and was battering him mercilessly in round 12.

Leonard's big mistake in that fight was not having Angelo Dundee in his corner. When Leonard fought Hagler; Dundee was forever lamenting Leonard with 'dont load up'. Well, in Hearns 2.....Leonard 'loaded up' all night. His strategy was not to outbox Tommy, but to stop him. Gone were the fast flurries from the Hagler fight, Leonard knew that outboxing Hearns over 12 rounds was a tough ask.

Leonard nearly pulled it off a couple of times, but got hurt and dropped himself twice trying.

Would Leonard have won Hearns 3? Who knows! He only ever won one more fight (Duran 3).

Would the world have been robbed of Duran 3 if Leonard had rubber matched Hearns? Who cares! The fight was a stinker....

Comment

I agree Dundee should have been with him. Did he think tommy was shot after barkley knocked him out and was advised by trainer to not have the added expense of dundee in his corner?

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            I agree Dundee should have been with him. Did he think tommy was shot after barkley knocked him out and was advised by trainer to not have the added expense of dundee in his corner?
            It was a big mistake not having Angie in his corner. At the same time Hearns was hell-bent on avenging his first loss. I guess we'll always wonder what would have happened if we had a third fight between the two. But, that probably took place in an alternate dimention. In this one, we got Leonard-Duran III.

Comment

I wish I could live in or at least visit that alternate dimension. Heh, kind of sounds like the two different worlds on the TV show Fringe, where the Statue of Liberty is bronze and the Twin Towers are still standing in an alternate world.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                I wish I could live in or at least visit that alternate dimension. Heh, kind of sounds like the two different worlds on the TV show Fringe, where the Statue of Liberty is bronze and the Twin Towers are still standing in an alternate world.
                The West wing was still on the air, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                  i think so

Comment

Working...
                  X