Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd retires undefeated having beaten Martinez is he the greatest of the era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some consider him that now. But not me. However if he does fight Martinez win or lose, I'd say if he wins absolutely, if he loses 2nd best of this era for sure. IMO as of right now B-hop is the greatest active fighter bar none.

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
      What about at 154?
      That would take some luster out of the win but I would still rank him slightly above Pac in this era.

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
        Let's say Floyd beats Khan, Alvarez, and Martinez at JMW or MW does he retire as the greatest of this era?
        He's already the best of his era..he doesn't need any of that trash..

Comment

Originally posted by GRANDSLAM View Post
          He already is the best of his era.
          It's debatable but a win over Martinez does a lot for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            Some consider him that now. But not me. However if he does fight Martinez win or lose, I'd say if he wins absolutely, if he loses 2nd best of this era for sure. IMO as of right now B-hop is the greatest active fighter bar none.
            Who's skills would you rather have..Floyd's or Hopkins..??

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
              Who's skills woudl you rather have..Floyd's or Hopkins..??
              Hopkins, why??

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
                That's a lot of IF's.

The most likely way I see Floyd's career playing out is this......

Spring 2012: Cotto
                Late 2012: Saul Alvarez (if he beats Kirkland)
                Spring 2013: Amir Khan (if he beats Peterson, and some at WW like the Berto-Ortiz II winner)

Those are givens I think, and those are all good fights.

Now, if I had my way, this is how he'd finish after that:

Late 2013: Sergio Martinez/Manny Pacquiao
                Spring 2014: Sergio or Pac, which ever one you didn't before.
                Late 2014: One of the up-and-coming fighters who keeps on winning (Danny Garcia, Kell Brook, someone like that).

I really doubt it happens though.

But, if Floyd beats Sergio at 154-160, he'd have to be the best of this era, given it's already up for debate. That would seal the deal in all reality. I still doubt that fight happens though.
                It's only up for debate amongst Mayweather fans. It's been decided already by those who do the deciding, that Pacquiao is the greatest of this era. The greatest of the previous era was Roy Jones. And if Jones had been in his prime in this era he'd be the one.

Of course an "era" can be stretched or contracted to encompass as many or as few years as suits the purposes of whoever...which is to aggrandize Mayweather over Pacquiao.
                Last edited by edgarg; 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

A much more fun thread would be "What does Sergio Martinez have to do to be the best of this era?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    I completely disagree. BHOP hid out at 160 for a decade and didn't even fight the other champions in his division.

Having Trinidad and DelaHoya move up was legacy-defining by any means.

It wasn't until Hopkins stepped up in 2005 that he should get ANY credit.

And truthfully, BHOP's resume from 2005 to present day isn't the greatest of this era.

Not only because he's lost several times, but because he waited until he was so old to start taking chances that losses at this point aren't heavily held against a 45 year old man.

That in itself is bullshit.

In truth, I don't feel as though Hopkins even beat Winky Wright or Pascal the first time. But officially he's lost to Taylor twice and Calzaghe since 2005.

None of his wins since then validate him being considered the best of any era.

Look at BHOP's resume from 1988-2004 and then tell me that resume is the best of an era.

No chance.

And when Dawson puts BHOP away, the point will be even stronger.

Problem with some people is that they wish to give BHOP extraordinary credit for ANY win since 2005, but win he loses they say "Aww come on man ... he's an old dude who is hangin' with these young guys".

If he can take credit at 45, he can lose credit at 45.

Factor EVERYTHING in.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoReyes View Post
                      A much more fun thread would be "What does Sergio Martinez have to do to be the best of this era?"
                      I was thinking the same thing. But, then that couldn't be a Floyd circle jerk thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X