• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BREAKING NEWS] Ricky Hatton set to Retire, Changes mind on Comeback

Hatton + retirement = disappointing
    March 8th, 2010
    By Scott Gilfoid

I’m hearing that Ricky Hatton is planning on retiring from boxing. Well, I’m glad he if this is turns out to be true. I don’t want to see Hatton knocked out again, and I have a good feeling Hatton would be knocked out pretty much by anyone he faces at this point in his career. When I saw Hatton getting staggered repeatedly by the light-hitting Juan Lazcano in 2008, I knew his time wasn’t long for the sport.

That told me that Hatton’s chin might have been compromised by his 10th round knockout loss by Floyd Mayweather Jr. And all that weight that Hatton put on probably didn’t help him much either. I once gained a ton of weight, about fifty pounds and I took it all off over a year period. And man I felt weak after I got back down to my old weight. I can’t imagine putting 40 or 50 pounds of pure blubber, and then melting it off in a two or three month training camp and then trying to fight someone.

I guess it’s something you can do with limited success during your youth, but when someone gets up there in age in their late 20s and early 30s, I think the party’s over. And Hatton has been putting on and taking off weight for a long time now. His boxing fans think it’s no big deal for him to take off the weight and fight, but I think they’re dead wrong.

It’s probably been hurting Hatton for a long time. He might have got away with it because of his natural ability and talent, but I think it caught up to him in his fights with Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. I don’t know if Hatton could have beaten those guys if he was taking care of his body and not putting on that kind of massive weight, but I think he’d have done a lot better against them without having put on weight.

I also think that Hatton wouldn’t have been knocked out by Pacquiao if he wasn’t ballooning up in weight.
    I don’t know that Hatton will stay retired. He’ll probably get bored like a lot of boxers do sitting on his couch day after day, and see some easy mark and figure he’ll be able to make a comeback. I think it would be a mistake, because, like I said I think Hatton will probably get knocked out by anyone at this point, but think he’ll probably come back at some point if he does retire right now.

It’s too bad though. I think Hatton owes it to himself to stay around long enough to fight Amir Khan. That’s a fight that I think Hatton can actually win. Khan won’t be sitting on his punches, so Hatton would have an excellent chance of sticking around long enough to land a halfway decent punch that would end things. Hatton probably could stop Khan with a glancing blow. It would be a great fight.

Even if Hatton gets stopped himself, it would still be an interesting fight. He could then have his little brother Matthew Hatton avenge his defeat by knocking out Khan in the next fight. I think it would be huge in the UK.

Hatton to retire – Breaking News
    March 8th, 2010
    By Sean McDaniel

According to news from the Dailymail, Ricky Hatton plans on hanging up the gloves and retire from boxing. Hatton had been said to be thinking it over recently about making a comeback. There had been talk of Hatton coming back against possibly Juan Manuel Marquez in the Summer. However, it now looks like Hatton is planning on retiring from boxing. As of now, Hatton hasn’t officially retired, but it’s expected that he will be saying something soon. Hatton, 31, apparently told friends that he had lost his desire to continue to box while on a stag trip to Tenerife last weekend.

Hatton last fought on May 1st, 2009, a fight in which Hatton was stopped in the 2nd round by Manny Pacquiao. It was an especially bad knockout, as Hatton was out for at least four minutes. After that knockout, Hatton said he needed to think about whether he wanted to continue to fight, because needed to see whether he had the motivation for the sport.

Hatton has reportedly made £45million during his 13 year pro career. Despite his loss to Pacquiao, Hatton remained very much in demand as a star fighter. Many of the other top stars in boxing wanted to fight Hatton, and if he had continued, he would have still been able to make a good living.

An announcement from Hatton could come within a day or two about calling and end to his career.

Comment

ricky has denied these rumors

Comment

Working...
      X