No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene 2016 Prospect of The Year - Luis Nery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene 2016 Prospect of The Year - Luis Nery

By Jake Donovan - It was three years ago when with all of just one fight in his pro career Vasyl Lomachenko shared honors with Felix Verdejo as BoxingScene.com 2013 Prospect(s) of the Year. The two-time Olympic Gold medalist has already become a two-division champion, winning his second title earlier this year and was deep in the debate for 2016 Fighter of the Year, along with recognition as one of the very best pound-for-pound boxers in the world.
    [Click Here To Read More]

how about that japenese middleweight who called out Saunders??

Comment

Assuming you are referring to Ryota Murata - I thought about him but believe he has already "graduated" and will likely fight for a (vacant) title in 2017

Comment

Cletus Seldin is missing from the list. So is Alex Saucedo.

Comment

No they are not, nor that I even consider either one for this year's list.

I like Cletus a lot and have always believed him to have greater upside than Algieri. But I don't see him as a contender by the end of this year, but rather moving into a prospect ready to transition to that next level. As long as he keeps winning, look for him to be on next year's list – if not at the top.

As for Saucedo... he is officially on the clock. I thought his win all the Clarence Booth would make for a breakout year, but I've honestly you seen little improvement or development from where he was even a couple years ago. I had high hopes for him once upon a time, but don't see him anywhere near ready for contention by the end of the year

Comment

Is this a prospect list or a lineup of rapists and PED cheaters?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
              No they are not, nor that I even consider either one for this year's list.

I like Cletus a lot and have always believed him to have greater upside than Algieri. But I don't see him as a contender by the end of this year, but rather moving into a prospect ready to transition to that next level. As long as he keeps winning, look for him to be on next year's list – if not at the top.

As for Saucedo... he is officially on the clock. I thought his win all the Clarence Booth would make for a breakout year, but I've honestly you seen little improvement or development from where he was even a couple years ago. I had high hopes for him once upon a time, but don't see him anywhere near ready for contention by the end of the year
              Are we talking about prospects or contenders? The title says prospects. Prospect means a work in progress, a potential to be a legit contender, if nothing more and both the guys I mentioned fit that. Now if this was a genuine top contenders list, they wouldnt fit that till they step up.
              Last edited by richardt; 01-02-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
                Are we talking about prospects or contenders? The title says prospects. Prospect means a work in progress, a potential to be a legit contender, if nothing more and both the guys I mentioned fit that. Now if this was a genuine top contenders list, they wouldnt fit that till they step up.
                Not only do I wind up explaining this every year, but also explained in the body of this very story...

I don't like to list any prospect more than once. Once a boxer is a top prospect, the next order of progression is transitioning to contender status. We avoid repeating prospects so that boxers like Felix Verdejo isn't on the list every year (as has been the case with ESPN, for which they rightly get bashed).

Cletus Seldin and Alex Saucedo both figure to still be prospects by the end of 2017, meaning they will likely land on this list at such time (assuming their respective campaigns go according to plan).

Comment

who the **** is that?

Comment

Some of these prospects have never been out of their comfort zone and Nery is one of them. He's feasting on blown up fly weights in Mexico and I would like to see him in with a live body. Especially before he gets a do or die assignment in Tokyo.

Comment

Working...
                    X