No announcement yet.

MMA rule changes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMA rule changes

Looks like some new rules are coming online for MMA by the new year (some commissions can implement them now apparently, but others won't til Jan. 1, 2017).

The most significant change is more clarity in the scoring criteria, long a bugaboo for fans and fighters alike. The new scoring language underscores that effective striking and grappling are the top tier for judging rounds — and only if those things are equal do you judge aggression and then cage control.

The definition of a 10-8 round is also more liberal with the changes, asking judges to look at dominance, duration and impact (or damage). If a round has two of those characteristics, a 10-8 should be considered. If a round has all three of those characteristics, it must be a 10-8 round.

The scoring language was amended in discussion Tuesday to address the presence of the word "damage." New Jersey took issue with that word on a political and legal level as did others, including Bellator MMA head of regulatory affairs Cory Schafer. The word damage will still be used in training judges, but it will not be part of public rules due to the implication.

There was also an amendment of the language to reflect that the immediate impact of strikes is weighed heavier than cumulative impact (or damage).
    This is **** I've been saying boxing needed to do forever. Boxing scoring is far too subjective & your personal outlook on certain tactics leaves scoring WAYYYYY open to subjectivity. This rule for MMA seems to narrow down what is being scored & will help pinpoint the bad judges. Now they just need to be able to get the bad judges pushed down to lesser leagues or out of the MMA judging business.

The other rules changes, with the official language, are as follows:

Grounded fighter

A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands and feet, palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees to the head will not be allowed.
    Not sure whats up with this. Okay so a grounded fighter with one arm on the ground couldn't be kicked & now they are saying you need two arms on the ground to be grounded, but you still can't be kicked so idk what to make of this or I'm not understanding something idk.

Extended fingers

In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent's face/eyes, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight in the air when reaching toward their opponent.
    The Jon Jones rule. Glad to see this & losing a point in MMA is brutal (although will be less brutally potentially with more 10-8 rounds) so less eye pokes in the future looks like which is a great thing.

Female clothing

Female competitors must wear a short-sleeved (above the elbow) or sleeveless form-fitting rash guard and/or sports bra. No loose-fitting tops are allowed. Female competitors will follow the same requirements for bottom coverings as the male competitors, minus the requirement for groin protection.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/2/...a-new-rules-in

Sigh. Less nip slips. Although I'm not sure what to make of the same requirements as males for the shorts. Not sure if that means more or less camel toe.

Thoughts? Opinions? Take on the camel toe situation?

Sounds like you can kick someone in the head if they only have one hand on the ground now. I think if you're both down, you should be able to kick someone in the face, like when you're grappling or to escape an ankle lock.

Boxing should just go by who lands more punches in a round, maybe give an edge to the guy with a knockdown, if it's close. No pitty patt punches, but flurries are okay.

Comment

Love these changes though judges will be morons. Won't hold my breathe there. Hopefully this grounded rule helps even out some of the lay n prey/wall n stall tactics. I don't it won't entirely help cure the boringness of those fights but hopefully it gives guys more of a chance to stop it or the one doing it more of a chance to finish.

Comment

Pride rules for life

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Sounds like you can kick someone in the head if they only have one hand on the ground now. I think if you're both down, you should be able to kick someone in the face, like when you're grappling or to escape an ankle lock.
          Thats what I was thinking at first, but then they throw in the bolded at the end which has me confused. It sounds like you need all your limbs touching the ground to be grounded, but it sounds like kicks & knees to the head won't be allowed at this point still. So I'm not sure whats the lag with changing that aspect of this decision or if I'm misunderstanding something.
          Grounded fighter

A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands and feet, palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees to the head will not be allowed.
          Boxing should just go by who lands more punches in a round, maybe give an edge to the guy with a knockdown, if it's close. No pitty patt punches, but flurries are okay.
          To me its always seemed like boxing is judged biased on who lands the most power punches/non-jabs. If you look at most punch stats I'd guess probably 90%+ of guys who landed the most power punches/non-jabs wins most decisions. Or if the numbers are close & one guy landed a lot of jabs he might steal it while landing less power punches. But for sure boxing should have a more clearly defined criteria than the wide subjective criteria it has now & their should be more clarity with it like MMA is doing with this rule improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by -2 Scrappy- View Post
            Love these changes though judges will be morons. Won't hold my breathe there.
            Sure & there are always gonna be bad judges, but I believe that more clarity on what wins or loses a round the more bad judges will stand out & can be weeded out so this is a move in the correct direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco Slim View Post
              Pride rules for life
              I prefer the Global MMA Rules that One Championship uses.

Comment

Yeah plus they should punish judges more for bad decisions. Like they did in 2011 for that horrible Williams/Lara decision. Although I liked Williams, so I didn't mind, but that was a bad one. Too bad Paul got partially paralyzed before his last fight, set to air on PPV. Would've been even bigger money. At least he technically has beaten everyone he fought. More boxers should throw a lot of punches like that and have more active rounds.
                Last edited by Anthony342; 08-06-2016, 04:48 AM.

Comment

They should just go back to original UFC rules. No weight classes and even groin shots were legal, lmaoooo.

Pride rules were the best though. I even liked the 10 min 1st round. And best of all, roids were legal too.

Comment

Working...
                  X