Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since when has being wanting to fight another day considered quitting or cowardly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    In boxing its not like it or not. I mean look at the Andre Dirrell fight a week & change back. Some people were dogging him for quitting/using the foul as a means to end the fight after he got KTFO cuz they thought he coulda continued. If his uncle hadn't decked Jose & overtaken the whole story of the event its likely that'd have been a bigger thing with more people.

I'm a MMA fan to & even in MMA where there is a whole idea of acceptable quitting via the tap out there is still people that'll condemn fighters who they deem to have tapped out to early. And in fact Conor McGregor who every boxing fan knows at this point is one of those guys cuz he's tapped out in record time when guys have gotten him into submissions.

Idk that its "spreading" via the internet. I think its an opinion a lot of people hold rightly or wrongly. This is schoolyard level sh^t. The guy who doesn't wanna fight or who quits too early in a fight is deemed a p#ssy. This isn't just a pro boxing or pro combat sports thing.

You could be right about the subconscious factor, but I just think its something that's a real thing for fighters & they do there best to live that mindset for as long as possible. I think fighters probably do their best when they are in the ring ready to die. And you almost need that sorta mindset to succeed in boxing cuz if you're in a tough fight the tougher guy puts himself in position for more chances to win by not succumbing himself & KOing or outworking his opponent late or just making the less tough guy quit despite perhaps being more skilled or equally skilled as himself. Not quitting when things get rough or uncomfortable is part of the game & the mindset for most elite level boxers I feel.

And it almost feels like that retirement talk before a fight kinda stuff when you are willing to quit to me. When a guy is talking retirement too much he should just get out of the sport & when a guy is quitting too much in boxing maybe its time to retire. Cuz in general it does seem like once elite level names start quitting their days are limited or at least their days as elite fighters are limited.

This is a rough f#cking sport.

And let me just say again before some random person jumps in & mistakes my opinion on most fans to my personal opinion on Brook quitting I got no problem with what Brook did. I'll goof on nearly anything even quitting, but I don't have any real problem or negative opinion at all with what Brook did vs Spence in the 11th round cuz boxers SHOULD be able to quit without taking so much sh^t from fans when they've reached their limit. I actually think the sport would be better & safer if boxers could quit of their own accord easier without so many negative opinions of them being thrown around.
    I think the bold part is key. In my opinion, boxing fans are too quick to label a fighter as a coward, and not often enough give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not denying the fact there are opportunistic fighters who look for ways out of fights (I think of Victor Ortiz), but I definitely lean towards the side of conservatism before putting fighters down when they've had enough.

You brought up really good points.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
      I ask that question because despite Kell Brook being over matched and coming in as a heavy betting underdog; He gave Errol Spence, Jr. The toughest fight of his career; In a hotly contested and highly competitive fight up until the 11th round, all the while displaying a tremendous amount of championship heart in the process.

He forced Spence to bite down and dig deep in order to win his title away from him. He didn't just lay down and give it away; No he forced Errol to overpower and take it from him. Yet some posters on NSB are calling him a quitter. I just don't understand.

So please explain what makes it so?
      Since the losers who don't have the stones to even do light sparring on here like to talk tough. Ones devotion belongs to their family first. Who here is going to take care of the brave "warrior" when he winds up like mago or meldrick Taylor? When was the last time they sent money to them? Those here who dare call any fighter a coward for not continuing, are 1 thing...cowards themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
        Brook was a heavy underdog? News to me.
        It's true. He was the betting underdog. Just go back and review the sports book betting line. Or better yet, just Google it. You'll see.

Comment

Every wise general knows when to call it a day. When their soldiers are being overpowered, dominated and routed on the battlefield by a much superior force with more firepower, then it would be very wise of them to either retreat or give up. Because if they don't, then they run the risk of losing their entire command. They would lose their entire army.

Boxing is no different. Kell Brook the overachiever, fought his heart out and did the very best he could under the circumstances against a better matched and superior fighter. There's no shame in that. He just so happened to find himself in a no-win situation. By the time of the stoppage, he was already defeated; Both physically and mentally.

Therefore, it would have been very foolish of him to continue fighting while not being at full strength; Especially with a bum eye, while risking a life altering and career ending injury.

Comment

It's considered quitting if a fighter with a lsight swelling takes a knee and then refuses to get back...and then looks around confused as to why he was counted out.

Btw a quit is a quit, the quetsion is whether or not you believe quitting is ok. Even Brook has used the word lol

And if you think boxing fans are harsh today then you have not followed this sport and are not a true fan.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
              It's true. He was the betting underdog. Just go back and review the sports book betting line. Or better yet, just Google it. You'll see.
              I guess my definition of "heavy underdog" is just different from yours. I see that and I'm thinking Wade/GGG levels.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                It's considered quitting if a fighter with a lsight swelling takes a knee and then refuses to get back...and then looks around confused as to why he was counted out.

Btw a quit is a quit, the quetsion is whether or not you believe quitting is ok. Even Brook has used the word lol

And if you think boxing fans are harsh today then you have not followed this sport and are not a true fan.
                Then why don't you step into the ring with Errol Spence, Jr then? Because if you do, you probably wouldn't last no more than a minute at best in there with him because Errol Spence is the "Truth". He's the current king of the welterweight division. All of these other welterweight pretenders don't count and that's including Thurman, Pacquiao, Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter. None of them can touch him. They don't even come close. I project that Spence shall rule this division for as long as he so pleases. He is the next undisputed welterweight champion of the world and best P4P fighter in the world. So once Errol is done cleaning out the division, Kell Brook's loss won't look as bad as it does today.

Comment

There's just a lot of idiots and trolls around.

Comment

Boxing is the only sport we hold athletes to this standard. If a football or hockey player gets injured and misses the rest of the game or season, no one calls him a quitter or a coward. Imagine Odell Beckham takes a hit and comes up seeing double, sits out rest of game. Is he a quitter? After all, football players from another era would have played through that injury, play through the broken bones, lacerations, torn ligaments. QB gets a concussion and he is out for the season--coward? Why should a boxer have to die in the ring in order to earn the respect of fans who haven't evolved since the gladiator days when Christians were tossed to the lions.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      Boxing is the only sport we hold athletes to this standard. If a football or hockey player gets injured and misses the rest of the game or season, no one calls him a quitter or a coward. Imagine Odell Beckham takes a hit and comes up seeing double, sits out rest of game. Is he a quitter? After all, football players from another era would have played through that injury, play through the broken bones, lacerations, torn ligaments. QB gets a concussion and he is out for the season--coward? Why should a boxer have to die in the ring in order to earn the respect of fans who haven't evolved since the gladiator days when Christians were tossed to the lions.
                      You are absolutely right and I agree. I wonder what do all these arm chair, keyboard warriors think about the guys who tap out in submission holds everyday in the MMA/UFC for living? Do they consider them quitters and cowards too?

Comment

Working...
                      X