No announcement yet.

Erdei Vacates: Ding-Dong, the Lineage Argument is Dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erdei Vacates: Ding-Dong, the Lineage Argument is Dead

It was the world title history which few cared about. Those who did just shook their head waiting for it to end.

And now it has according to various news reports. It ends with a fitting whimper.

In preparation for his challenge of WBC Cruiserweight titlist Giacobbe Fragomeni next Saturday, WBO Light Heavyweight champion Zsolt Erdei (30-0, 17 KO) has vacated that belt. In doing so, he has also vacated the last link to a debate about the lineage of the World Light Heavyweight championship which extends over much of the last thirteen years. [details]

The greatest news I heard all day. Now it's time to see a great fight tonight

Comment

thank god..............

Comment

When a guy has no interest in fighting the best in the division, the argument that he's the lineal champ should be laid to rest. Hopkins is getting to that point as well, even though I don't care whether or not he retires after he fights Roy Jones.

Comment

After all these years Erdei is now finally taking a risk? LoL, it doesn't matter he's getting knocked out when he moves up.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta View Post
            When a guy has no interest in fighting the best in the division, the argument that he's the lineal champ should be laid to rest. Hopkins is getting to that point as well, even though I don't care whether or not he retires after he fights Roy Jones.
            It was the fact that he was the WBO champion is why he didn't face the best in the division. Kohl hid him behind that belt and when you are able to defend against the like DeAndrey Abron and still be called champion then why not. If there were no sanctioning bodies, then Erdei probably would've never been champion, Dariusz would've ended up fighting Jones as a result. But the watering down of the sanctioning bodies cost us many great fights and they do everything in their power to muddle things up. We need just one champion per division. It's ok not to have title fights. Tonights HUGE FIGHT isn't a real title fight, yet it's a big fucking deal. Or even Cotto's last fight with Clottey. Two top 5 welterweights squared off. Not for a championship, yet it was a big fight and a great fight. It's ok if not all the big figths are for titles. All that matters is the quality of the men in the ring. And because of fording useless mandatories and stripping of this guy and that, we lose out on more top flight fights than we get.

Comment

So when Erdei vacates his alpabet belt, he gets stripped of the lineal title in the same breath.

How can Canelo Alvarez vacate his belt and then keep the lineal claim? crold1

Comment

LMFAO - talk about a blast from the past. .. then i noticed this thread was from 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by moochi View Post
                  LMFAO - talk about a blast from the past. .. then i noticed this thread was from 2009.
                  Lol. I need Cliff to clarify what looks like an inconsistency.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    So when Erdei vacates his alpabet belt, he gets stripped of the lineal title in the same breath.

How can Canelo Alvarez vacate his belt and then keep the lineal claim? crold1
                    In Alvarez's case, he has maintained his hold on the Ring title which is basically owned by his promoter; it's a foot in the division. In Erdei's, he vacated, moved up, won another belt, and then opted to return. He wasn't forced to vacate, indicating an exit from the class and, unlike Alvarez, there hasn't been a lip service about coming back to fight the top dog in class. It's not inconsistent. It's a different case. Alvarez also defended less than a year ago (even if it was Khan).

I wrote a lengthy piece on this last year actually as concerns 175: http://www.boxingscene.com/end-line-...dendum--109582

Feel free to recognize Ward per the above.

Comment

Working...
                    X